What TV shows are you watching thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Just finished the new Daredevil series on Netflix. Fantastic! Not at all family friendly, but the characters are really well done. Even the gore, violence, and language weren't nearly as over the top as they could have been. It all fit in nicely and made it feel very realistic.

Not knowing much of anything at all about the comics, can anyone tell me how many of the characters and plot points are things that are taken from pre-existing material and how much was made specifically for this show?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Notabot wrote:Not knowing much of anything at all about the comics, can anyone tell me how many of the characters and plot points are things that are taken from pre-existing material and how much was made specifically for this show?
Rosario Dawson's character seems to be an amalgam of a couple of others, but we might get clarification on that as things go on.

I think everybody else is an existing character, in pretty much their general role from the comics. Owlsley's probably the biggest departure and Ben Urich's role is slightly different in the comics.

The basic gist is from the comics (blinded by toxic waste, boxer dad refused to throw a fight, trained by another blind man, etc), but the overall plot is a new take on it as far as I'm aware. Done the standard MCU/Ultimate thing of taking the core concept and putting a fresh spin on it.

Kingpin wasn't even anything to do with the Daredevil books when they started (as far as I know Frank Miller introduced that in the 80s), so that whole aspect of his parallel journey is new.

Overall the series is phenomenal. I love every aspect of it. The casting, the writing, the direction, the dozens of easter eggs, the fact it's just as much about Fisk as it is Murdoch. It's possibly the best live action thing Marvel have done.

If you want to read any, I'd suggest starting with Bendis's run (available in three "ultimate collection" trades) then moving on to Ed Brubaker's stuff. There's plenty of backstory, but it gets you up to speed as and when it's relevant.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm not trying to say I'm obsessed with Knight Rider now, but the continuity is starting to keep me awake at night. Michael Knight is of course "A man who does not exist", so how can he get a call from an old girlfriend asking for help when everyone he knows thinks he's dead? Why does Devon not seem bothered by Michael hanging about with people from his old life when so much effort has been put into burying Michael Long? Why isn't she surprised by him having a new face (it's too early in the series for him to have made new old friends)? Do people not think these things through? Is it all about the car?

It's all about the car isn't it?

EDIT: Actually thinking about the "Man who does not exist" thing, the opening narration is basically describing a completely different show isn't it? All dark and dangerous world's and lone crusades. Not about a man and his talking car (plus a decent size support team) pissing about having jolly adventures at all.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Just finished WWE Wrestlemania 31, only a couple of issues I had involved Triple H, the first being his match against Sting, which was over-booked could have had Ric Flair help out Sting, which would have made as much since as the NWO coming out to help him.

The second issue was the promo that involved Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Ronda Rousey could have been shortened a bit with fewer pauses in between people talking as it really felt like filler.
Destruction is my specialty
Sades

Post by Sades »

This is actually something I won't be watching, but I don't feel like posting in the YouTube thread:

I sincerely hope this is fake. And even if it is fake, it's still ****ed up...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Been watching Lego Legends Of Chima season 2 and with some of the weirder things I've seen on it like farting/burping books, it is definitely more suited for kids.
Destruction is my specialty
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:This is actually something I won't be watching, but I don't feel like posting in the YouTube thread:

I sincerely hope this is fake. And even if it is fake, it's still ****ed up...
Started out thinking that was a 100 Bullets adaptation. Was I ever disappointed.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. I actually found some old "coming up next" clips from the original Finnish broadcast of the series. That's some serious nostalgia here because we're talking about 1990.

Man, the first season really is a bumpy ride. I'd just watched the Planet of the Space Negroes episode and the Scantily Clad Hippies Sentence Wesley to Death episode. I also can't believe they ever intended the Ferengi to be the "new klingons" so to speak.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm impressed that Google recognised that description and spat out http://www.tv.com/m/shows/star-trek-the ... 5/reviews/
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Been bing watching the first 4 seasons of GoT since I've gotten them on DVD, as well as the first season of Futurama and some ST:TNG when I'm in the mood, on the more immediate front I still keep my daily schedule of watching Adventure time relgiously as well as Regular show, both shows are loaded with the subtle humor and dark stuff I love, as well as good story. then theres my deep dark secret to all but the internet involving... well John De Lancie voices my favorite character
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

With there being nothing worth watching on TV today, I decided to put on something that's an incremental improvement on crappy daytime TV: The DiC GI Joe series.
It's even worse than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty bad.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ha ha! That's the way I felt when I picked up the old Transformers cartoons a few years ago. I remembered them being pretty ropey, but my GOD are they bad now!

However, the opening three-parter More Than Meets The Eye looks like high art compared to some of the later episodes, that Alligatorcon one for instance!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Yeah, City of Steel was pretty terrible. Not as bad as B.O.T. though.

Let me give you an example of the horrible I've been watching. Sgt. Slaughter gets captured by one of the few new 'properly named' Cobra guys, a generic schlub and this episode's featured not-quite-as-generic schlub with some semblance of a personality and backstory. So Cobra has a fairly valuable hostage to use as a bargaining chip and what do they decide to do with him? Uses him as bait to challenge GI Joe to a goddamn (American) football game.
I wish I were joking.
Hi-jinks ensue, including Cobra cheating and using their heavily armed vehicles of war to score a touchdown, and the Joes retaliating in kind. Somehow this leads into an extended game of keep-away across New York City as both sides keep stealing the tied-up Slaughter from each other. And the episodes ends with Cobra Commander trying to get into a Studio 54-ripoff club and getting tossed by the bouncer.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ha! I'm so glad I was more fascinated by robots than G.I. Joe. It sounds terrible.

Did they also do the thing where incidental music from Transformers cartoons also gets used in G.I. Joe episodes? I remember when I heard TF music playing in an 80's episode of The Hulk cartoon, it was very jarring and cheap.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Oh, I watched both back in the day and I remember thinking they were great stuff. At least I can take solace in the fact that my taste is at a minimum a tiny bit more refined now.

The music re-use happened more with the Sunbow series. Can't say I've come across it with this one yet, but I'm not expecting it. Totally different production company.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yes, I couldn't get enough of them back then either. Now, I'm happy to have the DVD's as historical TF artefacts, and a reminder of being that age, but I'd rather watch the worst episode of Family Guy than the best episode of the TF cartoon today.

I'd love them to update Beast Machines though. It wasn't brilliant, but it had this fantastically downbeat vibe to it... like it had been written by Robert Smith from The Cure.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Unicron wrote:Let me give you an example of the horrible I've been watching. Sgt. Slaughter gets captured by one of the few new 'properly named' Cobra guys, a generic schlub and this episode's featured not-quite-as-generic schlub with some semblance of a personality and backstory. So Cobra has a fairly valuable hostage to use as a bargaining chip and what do they decide to do with him? Uses him as bait to challenge GI Joe to a goddamn (American) football game.
I wish I were joking.
Hi-jinks ensue, including Cobra cheating and using their heavily armed vehicles of war to score a touchdown, and the Joes retaliating in kind. Somehow this leads into an extended game of keep-away across New York City as both sides keep stealing the tied-up Slaughter from each other. And the episodes ends with Cobra Commander trying to get into a Studio 54-ripoff club and getting tossed by the bouncer.
You know, you just made me want to watch GI Joe.

I honestly think that sounds a lot better than many of the other 80's cartoons I've watched that take themselves 100% seriously. These kind of hijinks aren't so ridicilous when they're done by a rival band, but they sound positively hilarious when done by an international terrorist organization.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Tetsuro wrote:You know, you just made me want to watch GI Joe.

I honestly think that sounds a lot better than many of the other 80's cartoons I've watched that take themselves 100% seriously. These kind of hijinks aren't so ridicilous when they're done by a rival band, but they sound positively hilarious when done by an international terrorist organization.
Just for specificity, this is the second GI Joe series, produced by DiC, which was mainly in 90 and 91 (though the opening mini-series was in 89). But yeah hilariously terrible at times. I'm almost looking forward to the over the top 'drugs are bad m'kaaaay' 2-parter in season 2.
Surprising amount of voice actor overlap between it and Beast Wars/Unicron Trilogy too.

Have some Amazon links in case anyone wants to track them down sometime:
Season 1
Season 2
Full Sunbow series (from the same time frame as G1, and the better of the two Joe series)
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Crap, I forgot the second series was made by a different studio - or that there even was a second series. My brain's been full of Sunbow lately. The 80's Robocop cartoon series was produced by AKOM and it utilizes the same kind of episode title cards and animation as Transformers, but I'm not sure if it's a Sunbow series as well.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Tetsuro wrote:Crap, I forgot the second series was made by a different studio - or that there even was a second series. My brain's been full of Sunbow lately. The 80's Robocop cartoon series was produced by AKOM and it utilizes the same kind of episode title cards and animation as Transformers, but I'm not sure if it's a Sunbow series as well.
Understandable. The Sunbow GI Joe was the better and more memorable series. Also the one Hasbro seems to have given any attention to, both with the anniversary figures they did a few years ago and with it getting some TV time here in the US again. As far as I know, the dvd release is the only thing the DiC series has gotten. Don't even think the convention has done anything with the characters from that era.

A quick Wiki-ing says the Robocop series was animated by AKOM but produced by Marvel Productions, who co-produced all the old Hasbro stuff with Sunbow. So that probably explains the title cards and AKOM did some season 3 Transformers episodes so that covers the animation similarities.