Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

praetorian wrote:Don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes: what was the first third-party Transformer?
Probably stuff like http://angrycanadiandecepticon.blogspot ... us-vs.html

Notable early modern stuff includes City Commander, Quakewave, etc.

Less notable stuff includes things like the Cyberfembot ARC -- http://www.transformerland.com/female-transformers.html / http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... rcees.html
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:I totally forgot about those! I'm not sure I'd count them as real "third-party toys" in the sense that we usually discuss them, though. Aren't they just downsized, simplified versions of official figures? Stuff like that's been floating around forever, and if we count them we'd probably also have to talk about stuff like the mini Fort Max KOs that have been making the rounds for well over a decade.
Nah, from what I remember (and numbat wrote up thorough reviews for this site at the time), they're actually original molds that just replicate the G1 figures at a smaller size as opposed to the more direct size-manipulation like the little Fort Max or the oversized Bruticus. Plus they had a company name attached to them, original artwork, bios, non-Transformer names, etc. So yeah, they're definitely third party toys in the sense that we think of them now, but for whatever reason, they just didn't excite the market and start a snowball effect like City Commander and some other stuff from around 2008 did.

Might have just been that they came out too early. The big increase in output didn't happen until after the live action movie, after all.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

First one I remember is the classics cliffjumper upgrade kit, then followed by the city commander armour, circa 2007 or so?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

Warcry wrote: assuming we're talking about a mass-produced 100% new-mold figure
This is what I had in mind.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yay for collection goals. Modern Skullcruncher.

edit: That's a CW weapon (I think) standing in for his softening gun, not an accessory that came with him.

http://i.imgur.com/daYptrp.jpg
Hound

Post by Hound »

He doesn't look bad at all. Nice!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Neat. Is it the lighting or is there a way to have his head on without the visor?

Kapow is having a sale on various 3p bits and pieces, including Soar, Sever, Cupola, Axle and others.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:I totally forgot about those! I'm not sure I'd count them as real "third-party toys" in the sense that we usually discuss them, though. Aren't they just downsized, simplified versions of official figures? Stuff like that's been floating around forever, and if we count them we'd probably also have to talk about stuff like the mini Fort Max KOs that have been making the rounds for well over a decade.
Clay wrote:Nah, from what I remember (and numbat wrote up thorough reviews for this site at the time), they're actually original molds that just replicate the G1 figures at a smaller size as opposed to the more direct size-manipulation like the little Fort Max or the oversized Bruticus. Plus they had a company name attached to them, original artwork, bios, non-Transformer names, etc. So yeah, they're definitely third party toys in the sense that we think of them now, but for whatever reason, they just didn't excite the market and start a snowball effect like City Commander and some other stuff from around 2008 did.

Might have just been that they came out too early. The big increase in output didn't happen until after the live action movie, after all.
They were definitely original moulds. The first few JustiToys WST Dinobots were really well done. Grimlock had issues with weak hips that easily broke. Then Swoop was something of a disaster requiring screwdriver disasembly and reassembly and drilling of proper holes for the missile launchers. Blaster was very loose, and quite poor, with paint chipping straight out the box and brittle plastics. Shockwave broke during transformation (I have an unbroken one too though, which I have not transformed...). I gave up on JustiToys at this point. Which is a shame as I love WST, and their first offerings were really superb. They went on to make triple changers and Sixshot, but that seems really risky if they couldn't pull off Shockwave.

But, yeah, I think they're probably some of the earliest third party figures, if not the earliest, which aren't just KOs.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote:Neat. Is it the lighting or is there a way to have his head on without the visor?

Kapow is having a sale on various 3p bits and pieces, including Soar, Sever, Cupola, Axle and others.
The visor's just lifted slightly to show his eyes, it's part of the normal range of movement.

I'm guessing they might not be picking up the rest of Guardia then. Have snagged an Axle -- Cupola looks like a great mould, but like Transistor, Magnus, Star Saber, etc. I'm generally staying out of that size class apart from the dinos and a few back-row pieces.

Could really go for a downsized Soundwave, Quakewave and seeker mould actually.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Finally caved in and got a FT04 D Scoria. Fingers crossed I have him by Friday.

First experience with the mould.

Got him from TF Express [only UK place to have any Scoria available at all].

Will update with impressions when he gets here. Planning on switching his blue head with a red.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Diaclone all blue's a neat scheme... are you thinking of going that way with others?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

As far as I know, only Slag, Snarl and Grimlock will get "D" schemes.

I am very tempted to go that way with Snarl as well, as he looks really nice with the black chest.

I'll have to wait and see for Grimlock, but will probably go for the regular version.

Sludge will only have the regular and X version [not any differences they can charge for a D one] and my Soar is the red one.

Mixed bag it is. :clap:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

And as evidenced by my newest acquisitions post, Scoria D is in the house.

Overall first impressions on the other post. Let's talk about the deep stuff that matters here :lol:

I can't say that this is not an impressive offering, FT have really nailed it when it comes to the high end collectible presentation. The thick gloss box, the styrofoam [I don't like it as it sheds every time you fiddle with it!], the numbered collector card--mine is 226 of 500.

Bad points? The bio at the back. I cringe at the gibberish, bad grammar and typos. It feels as if I'm getting a KO or something!

Figure has great and [nearly] spotless paint apps all over. The gray plastic is moulded in that colour [not painted], but every other detail is painted on, or encased in a clear plastic dome [like the shoulder and leg details]. Only noticeable blemish on mine is on one side of the dino jaw, where the sprue was not cut properly before chroming it over.

Parts tolerance is a bit off, with some horrifically tight joints working with some looser ones. The shoulders [which I understand are an improvement over the cartoon version] have a lot of play between the ratchets [yet still hold poses ok], but the back and forth shoulder rotation is the typical squeaky FT standard.

Likewise, the thighs/torso ratchets are a tad loose, but the actual leg joint that helps doing the splits is tight. Hand rotation out of the dino "sockets" is easier and smoother than on Soar, ditto on the finger joints.

Red head works really well with the body . Extra, darker faceplates included but I ain't bothered.

Dino mode is bigger than I expected and can pull some aggresive poses. Tail does not do much unless you untab it and swivel it upwards.

Die-cast content---> All four dino toes, robot mode toe and soles [the entire gold part], dino horns. Overall far less die-cast than Soar, but Scoria is a bit heavier due to the overall mass.

Bad points---there's a few, probably because this was their first dino release. I dislike the fact that you have to take the head apart to change the robot faces [fixed on Soar and Sever, for which you do not need a screwdriver]. Joint tolerance discrepancy is annoying. The limbs in dino mode have a bit of give if I pick him up from a pose. The robot mode backpack is awkward and not very secure. There is little room for the dino wings to angle up as the will chip on the tail accordion. Dino head does not have a proper click/spot for either mode, it's basically "pull down or back until it looks ok". Tail spring mechanism is a bit dodgy on mine, requires a lot of strength to push in.

Good points---If like me, you are late into the game and want a Scoria in colours that will fit the other dinos, this is not a bad choice. Dino mode is pretty much the same as the others, but has the Toy details on the arms and silver horns/red eyes. Robot mode is nicer and more colour coherent than pictures would leave you to believe, and I love that they finally did away with that clear red nozzle for his gun.

2 down, 3 to go and this team is complete. Definitely going for Diaclone Sever, but not preordering him. Outright purchase when in stock!
numbat

Post by numbat »

I really like Scoria (I have the original version thanks to Denyer). A lot. There are issues, as you rightly point out, and mine also had some red plastic shaved off from the hips and on the grey of the legs (no biggie, but perhaps a tolerance issue to look out for when transforming).

But I really am blown away by how awesome the figure is, and love the way the dino legs fold away into his legs. He's simple enough to pick up and play with, but still very interesting. I think he's better than Masterpiece Grimlock for sure.

My fave Dinobot is Snarl, and I was this close to buying Sever, who looks even better than Scoria. And to be honest I almost went for Soar too. The only thing that puts me off is the size of these guys. If I were to display them all, that would be at least half of my display space taken up. I guess I need to decide if they're worth it, although I am thinking of taking another look at my collection in the coming days and perhaps whittling out some of the mainstream releases in favour of Masterpiece/Third Party.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Call me daft, but why was I under the impression that you got Sever before Denyer's Scoria?

There's a pre-owned blue Soar and regular Sever at masterforce if/when you make the decision.

Found a magic spot for the dino sides to angle upwards as wings without chipping any plastic, so that's one issue ironed out for me.

I am also taking another look at my collection these days, I think it's time to package away and/or sell some MP mould duplicates and venture into different franchises for a little bit. Nearly done.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Knightdramon wrote:Call me daft, but why was I under the impression that you got Sever before Denyer's Scoria?
Nah. Got Scoria as a kind of test, as these guys cost a fair chunk new and I didn't know the company. I am impressed though, and do want a Sever. It's the size and also consideration of price - even on the shelf next to a Masterpiece car he looks cramped, and when next to MP Grimlock I feel a bit claustrophobic, so don't know if displaying multiple, or even just other larger Iron Dibots is practical. I can afford it, but my wife is currently on one of her anti-Transformers (and Bluray and comics... basically anything I spend disposable income on...) kicks. And I just ordered Iron Factor Evil Lord (not-Overlord) and MMC Cynicus (I do so love the DJD and think he'll look awesome held by Feral Rex - and I am likely to collect the MMC DJD so don't want to miss out and pay silly aftermarket prices). Evil Lord looks like he'll be great fun to play with and keep on the desk, like THS-01 Convoy, but I still intend to buy MMC Carnifex (bet Cynicus would go well in his hands too...). I fully expect a lecture about buying two versions of the same character in a few months time. (You should hear my wife go on about Optimus Primes... :lol:)

Yes, thing to do is take a look at what I've got, what I don't really want anymore, and then maybe pick up Sever.

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My 3P toys have started attacking me. Earlier in the week Chromedome threw off the shelf at me, breaking off his arm exactly like MTMTE Chromey did that one time. Then today 3P Max did the same, only in this case a toy where nearly every part is designed to detach he managed to snap off one that doesn't.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Okay...after a lot of initial frustration, I've mastered the art of transforming and messing with MMC Spartan.

Full-on thoughts below...

The figure is heavy and robust in either mode, for a figure of its size. In either mode is does not feel flimsy or loose. The paint apps are spot on. Not a lot, not few...just a good balance. The quality of the paint apps is also spot on, no overspray on mine, no colour fading onto something else or from something else.

Alt-mode is actually impressive. It manages the capture a steam punk, not quite there but chibbi look, while also looking like something that would murder you five times over in the span of a minute. Considering that the figure was envisioned with this Metal Slug tank alt-mode, and form that worked as Commotus, and -then- remoulded into Spartan, it's not that far off how Impactor looked in the 2 panels that he spent in tank mode in LSOTW.

As has been covered in the myriad of reviews, there are no working treads or wheels. Everything is moulded plastic and you can drag him around, but not roll him.

You can detach the cow-catcher/mine-catcher/whatever bulldozer bits from the front if you'd want to. It does not really break up the silhouette and might benefit you in the long term [more on this later].

The gun nozzle rotates up and the whole turret has very, very limited rotation capability on either side if you leave the front pistons hooked. It can freely rotate around if you leave them in robot mode configuration.

The pop up guns on either side of the treads are a nice touch and a further step away from Commotus, but I think they'd suit him more than Impactor.

The transformation scheme leaves a lot to be desired, as does his odd mix of plastic types. He uses a combination of hard, stiff abs plastic and a softer, more bendable but not quite pvc plastic, evident in the gray spine area/armature and his shoulder shafts. His joints are excruciatingly stiff and there are certain load-bearing joints that are just asking to snap off soon.

His torso is comprised of 3 different rotating layers, for no good reason. The lower part has his gray spine attached [no idea why this part is separate], the middle part is just his abs/torso and the top part is his chest. I can understand the top section being separate for the Commotus retool, but not the other two. Due to all joints being so stiff, you might end up rotating a wrong part too much, leaving the bottom part with the spine on its own, flexing the already flexible gray plastic, and then...

Transformation is not very forgiving in terms of tolerances. It all comes together and apart very logically when you know what to move and when [seriously, just toss away the instructions. You'll break your figure] but I fear leaving the figure transformed in tank mode for too long might snap or stress some plastic if not transformed properly.

Mine has two severe stress marks---his buttflap can and will snap if I force it from the tail end of the piece [the slot it connects to on tank mode is unnervingly tight] and parts of the legs clip on it for tank mode. One of the cow-catcher spikes on mine has another severe stress mark. One drop and it will snap, or even some flex while playing with the figure.

Said cow-catchers will fly off in robot mode if you handle him without care, as the slots are way way too tight for them. I have found a way to keep them off [basically just move the double jointed elbow by their pins].

Overall he is a great figure, but not as solid IMO as their feralcons or Sixshot. He is definitely tougher than Cynicus, who is almost KO in terms of plastic quality, but do handle with care, especially the buttflap and the gray parts.

I am in two minds about Commotus at this moment.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Bit steep for what it is, but the Shadow Fisher bits bulk up the older FP Colossus kit very nicely. (Also, Sunsurge is genuinely masterpiece-like with the transformation).

http://i.imgur.com/mt3CA1L.jpg

edit:

And not my pic, from an auction, but as predicted Reprolabels did a good job on Crox.

http://i.imgur.com/6UzTsiT.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not quite what the Renderform Scout kit for Goldbug was intended for... hollowing out the G2 Bee neck to fit a replacement post was a bit of a bugger.

Goldbug's a separate character in IDW, right? *squeezes onto LL shelf*

http://i.imgur.com/X6FoN8R.jpg