Prepare to face Podcast Maximus!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:The problem there, selkadoom, is licensing.

Hence go royalty free, there's plenty electronic style stuff on there if someone's prepared to go through them.
Have you seen the Radio Free Cybertron podcasts? They take a chunk of Lion's TF theme for their intro. And in their accompanying videocasts they take big bits of the cartoon. The one I saw was about the episode B.O.T. and it contained loads of clips. each one about a minute long or more.

How do they get away with that? And they've been doing it for ages! Is it because they tend to talk an intro over the TF theme, for example?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clips can count as fair use if for the purpose of review (i.e. a transformative use). Nicking part of a song for an intro, not so much, and it's likely the word Cybertron is protected. Depends whether any rights-holders call them on it.

You might find that clips factor into deals YouTube have made with IP holders as well, whether video or audio. Traditional radio would be covered by standard terms in various jurisdictions, but it's blurrier with internet "radio" and I haven't really kept up with how things are headed.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I know the chap who does the excellent Weekly Bond videos on YouTube has mentioned virtually all of the money from the ads on his channel goes straight to MGM due to his clips and music usage, though I don't know if that's something he's set up himself or if YouTube do it automatically.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Talking over footage makes a huge difference with youtube. Osw review are an Irish wrestling vodcast that uses huge footage but because its in clips and talked over they get away with it - not sure if that means different costs go to wwe though
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Cool, that's very interesting Denyer, Dalek & Dave. I was wondering how it compared to say, Jay-Z knicking samples from other artists. He was in trouble recently wasn't he, for a song he released back in 2000. Similarly with Robin Thicke and Blurred Lines taking a sample from Marvin Gaye. But as you say, Internet will probably have established its own rules for this kind of thing.

I ask because I was messing around with the idea of an intro theme and made 15-seconds of mad Transformers mash-up (I wanted it to feel like a sugar overdose).

It then kicks into the Lion theme proper, but only a small looped portion so that presenters could fade it & talk over the top whilst they do their announcements at the start.

Then the looped music disappears & fades back into the initial drum track.

So its one minute long in total, and it uses less of the theme than Radio Free Cybertron. I understand therefore if this is a totally a no-go area. It was just fun to put together :-)

Is there a way to attach it to a post like this so you can see what I mean?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Stick it on MediaFire, SendSpace, ZippyShare or similar?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Auntie Slag wrote:Similarly with Robin Thicke and Blurred Lines taking a sample from Marvin Gaye.
Nah, that was a crock of shit - Farrell and Thicke were somehow successfully sued for taking Gaye's "sound" rather than anything atually tangible.

A lot of Youtube stuff is only caught by automated stuff; depending on how much policing a rights holder actually puts in place lots of video passes with a mirrored picture or a 5px border or filming the screen (people don't necessarily do this because they're lazy or dumb, but to keep the video up as long as possible) or even for some music stuff having a station ident in the corner of a video or whatever. There's a big, big variation in what's policed and what's not; some stuff even gets caught on upload. For a few examples on my "channel": -

• All of the Ideon episodes have been flashed up as being owned by Sunrise animation, but only the start titles and/or bumpers as presumably the hardcoded fansubs throw the rest off; all I had to do was acknowledge it.
  • I did have the the first few episodes of Gobots but that was taken down at the behest of Warners within days.
  • The film White of the Eye sat there for a couple of years until Arrow put it out on BluRay and was removed.
  • TF Zone has similarly been there years, possibly due to the fansubs, but a couple of unedited clips of the G1 cartoon have long gone.
With all of this I have some pretty severe restrictions on my account to the point where it's basically useless, which would be the risk for doing anything. In my case if there is anything I ever want to do I can just set up another of course, but for something like a podcast you'd want a solid home base.

But yeh... there's some stuff you can watch whole series of on Youtube despite it being out on DVD or big studio or whatever; other stuff you even put a five-second clip up you'll get canned. Generally if you're using copyrighted material you whack your video up and take your chances.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Great, thanks Denyer. Just signed up with Mediafire and uploaded. Hopefully this link should work!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

As you say, energetic. It's basically the opposite of what I was doing, which was a short identifier set in the mix at or below the vocal level and without licensing considerations.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Cheers, I wanted to epitomise Transformers (in my mind) in 15 seconds; loud, brash, big robots fighting, guns and most of all action!

A bit like just the fighting bits in Pacific Rim, on fast forward, sitting next to the speakers, with no sleep.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Finally finshed the Windblade podcast. Good fun again. I like the idea that Spotlight: Mirage may turn out to be the only true comic. :lol:

But my, Dalek, what a potty mouth you appear to have! I thought my phone was malfunctioning when it kept bleeping... :lol:

Roll on the next one. MTMTE again? The last pair of issues have been strong.
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

An Infiltration one has been recorded and we're hopefully going to be doing a MTMTE one in the next week or so, it's just Terome is a very busy man going around correcting peoples' inaccurate use of the word neutron.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

When is the neutron film out, btw? I am a sucker for those light cycles...
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Podcast Maximus Episode 6

INFILTRATION: Ten years on, how well has the first IDW story arc held up? And more importantly where the hell did those ten years go?

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/po ... sode_6.mp3
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Podcast Maximus Episode 7

SCAVENGERS: Terome and Dalek are joined by Mort as they unpack the complexities of the fan-favourite 'Cons in More Than Meets The Eye #45-46.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/po ... sode_7.mp3
inflatable dalek

I'm appalled Terome ignores my correct pronunciation of the plural of miniseries.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Is there a feed for this for regular podcast players?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I might have a go at stuffing information into a suitable XML document and generating the page from it at this point.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Finally listened to eps 6 & 7. Whoop! Really enjoying these. Loved the Scavengers one and it was lovely to hear from Marian :)

I just gush like a fountain about these, don't I? I dunno, there's little to be said that you hadn't covered in the podcasts about things I had also been thinking...but then forgotten about because I've laundry to do and cat poop to clear up.

Good work, chums! Look forward to the next one.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Thanks Skyquake! Lovely to hear the gushings. Likewise, anything that we're getting wrong would be good to know.