Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1-5

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

So is Verity pregnant with Stakeout's baby? She was clutching her stomach in pain, and it would count as a Micromaster.

But then she was caughing up blood when Arcee had her in the warehouse, or at least that's how I interpreted it. Is she extremely ill because she tried to do a similar Aquitas upload similar to Ironfist? Something that mimics the way Buster uploaded the Creation Matrix in issue 37 of Marvel UK comics in the 80's?
zigzagger

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #2

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #2 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Full issue out December 30.
Attachments
sotw 2 pg3.jpg
sotw 2 pg2.jpg
sotw 2 pg1.jpg
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Finally read this, after Royal Mail lost my original copy. Almost enough to make a man go digital...

It is good. I don't have a lot else to add.
I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Auntie Slag wrote:So is Verity pregnant with Stakeout's baby? She was clutching her stomach in pain, and it would count as a Micromaster.

But then she was caughing up blood when Arcee had her in the warehouse, or at least that's how I interpreted it. Is she extremely ill because she tried to do a similar Aquitas upload similar to Ironfist? Something that mimics the way Buster uploaded the Creation Matrix in issue 37 of Marvel UK comics in the 80's?
I dread to think how that'd work, as she's basically got the Cybertronian equivalent of a USB stick...:sick:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As a heads up, apparently this (and all other comics, no idea why) is only being released on Thursday/31st physically, but the digital is out as normal today.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm pretty easy to please but all the animal stuff is making me very pleased indeed.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Much better this time around but... there's still this nagging feeling when reading it that panels are missing, or dialogue has been out and out dropped, or speech bubbles have been credited to the wrong character. Arcee is pretty much all over the place, I have no idea what's up with Guzzle or Verity (a plot point which gets dropped pretty quickly) but there a few moments when the story reaches actual clarity before it drops back into its normal rhythm of "speech and dialogue where bits are missing". I hope it reads better in the trade tbh
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

KInda know what you mean Pandagork but these issue felt better overall in terms of flow and I followed most of it fine on first read. The art feels a little too condensed for me - I love the line work from roche and the colours give it a lovely eerie winter vibe but sometimes the panels feel too small. I'm reading this on a surface pro 4 which has a more than adequate screen size so I don't think that its a digital problem.

Looking forward to the rest of it certainly, but I get the feeling it will all work better in a single read - nothing wrong with that.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Huh. This series is moving in a direction that I wasn't at all expecting coming in. It's so... weird. But I like it.

Quick notes for now:

How warriors cope during peacetime I'm guessing is meant to be a recurring theme of the series. If it is, it couldn't be more evident than in this issue. The Wreckers have a lot of pent up urges, don't they?

Since Kup's arc was understandably truncated in LSOTW, it's nice to see that Roche looks to be following up on it here. Hoping for a resolution this time around :)

Tidal Wave is a whale!

Yep, Mesothulas is Tarantulas. Sure, it could just as well be the usual misdirection and he'll turn out to be Seaspray or Roadblock, but then why go to the trouble planting hints that ony the most hardcore-iest of fans would get trippped up on. So yeah --Tarantulas.

My only real quibble is Arcee's paranoia. It's so unfounded, especially when it's so plainly obvious to everyone else that Verity, Stakeout, or Kup are completely clueless on what's going on. Not sure where it's coming from. Mind, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to XRID, but I don't recall her and Prowl parting ways on that sour of a note.

Then again, she's no more unhinged than Roadbuster or Guzzle (he drank Polar Claw's ****ing blood!). Guess I can deal.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Well, this has Beast Wars characters in it so obviously I loved it. Though Polar Claw's pointless death gets the same reaction from me as any other use of an established character as cannon fodder. That being: don't ****ing kill people off before we've had a chance to get to know and care about them! If someone we've never met needs to die, make someone up.

Nice to see Carnivac in IDW stories finally! I was just bitching the other day about how it sucked he'd never gotten used, so thumbs up to Roche on that score.

I have to agree with pandagork that the story feels a bit...choppy in places, as if panels or bits of conversation are missing. At first I thought it was just because I was reading it while my wife was watching something on TV and the baby was playing in the same room, so I kept getting distracted. But if other people felt it too, then obviously not.

I also agree with the people who say that Arcee's behaviour is pretty strange, even by IDW Arcee's standards. I hate their violent psycho Arcee in general, but here it seems to have been ramped up a notch or two, and her over the top hostility to everyone here just comes off as dumb. I'd probably mind it a lot less if the company hadn't created this crazy person by ruining one of the nicest, most friendly Autobots around, though.

It's nice to see the long-tenured Wreckers treated as something other than cool badasses. And while Guzzle doesn't come off as anywhere near as sympathetic as Roche probably thinks he should (because he was the least-interesting newbie in Last Stand and because he doesn't act much like that guy anyway, anymore) Roadbuster's being written marvellously. I love the way that he's trying to justify giving in to his savage instincts even though he's shown a softer, more caring side in the past.

Unfortunately, as much as I'm enjoying parts of the series the overall plot just isn't grabbing me. I think that's partly down to the sheer intensity of the last Wreckers mini -- these guys tore through Overlord and an army of dozens (hundreds?) of Predators, so it's hard to take a half-dozen Beasties seriously as a threat. And secondly, I don't especially care if they succeed because Prowl here is even more stupidly unlikeable than he is in Barber's books (and Barber Prowl is really, really unlikeable). I'm cheering for Tarantulas to suck his brains out more than I'm cheering for Springer to save him.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I genuinely have no idea where this comic is going, but the sheer joy of it being so unpredictable (who'd have guessed the Sins sequel would turn into a Beast Wars homage? Or Tidal Wave would be in it?) means it's working for me.

After Barber has just about managed to salvage Arcee over the last few years it is a shame to see her regress here though. And I still don't like Verity (same old problem of middle aged British Isles guys having no idea of how to write American teens*. Is there anyone less likely to be a Grease fan?).

*I know she's not a teen any more, but she's still basically written as a petulant child.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I can imagine Grease playing non-stop at an orphanage or foster home...

In a rush right now but Tidal Wave is definitely my new favourite. Need to go and investigate this choppiness and depiction of Arcee as I didn't notice it the first time round. One thing I did find is that Scioli might have rubbed off on Roche just a tiny bit.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Lovely stuff, enjoying the curveballs.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Warcry wrote:
Unfortunately, as much as I'm enjoying parts of the series the overall plot just isn't grabbing me. I think that's partly down to the sheer intensity of the last Wreckers mini -- these guys tore through Overlord and an army of dozens (hundreds?) of Predators, so it's hard to take a half-dozen Beasties seriously as a threat. And secondly, I don't especially care if they succeed because Prowl here is even more stupidly unlikeable than he is in Barber's books (and Barber Prowl is really, really unlikeable). I'm cheering for Tarantulas to suck his brains out more than I'm cheering for Springer to save him.
I'm partially inclined to agree...?? Though, I can't quite work out if it's my own bias that is influencing my impression of this series or not.

There's no denying the impact that its predecessor had on a lot of readers, including myself. But on it's own, Sins is (so far) a fine read. As far as piquing my interests, all the right elements are there. It's weird, and intriguing, and unpredictable.

I had briefly brought this up in the first issue's thread, but as strange and interesting as Sins is, what seems to be missing for me is a better sense of urgency and momentum. I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here, in that if the characters don't give a flying **** about Prowl, why should I?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but the last time Prowl featured in ex-RID he was a broken mess at the foot of rattrap. I always assumed that Barber would return to this after the current stuff but maybe (given the beast wars link) Rat Trap will have a role in Sins. Maybe all that stuff was just a set up for sins and this could be the conclusion to Prowls main arc. God knows he is not missed in ex-RID.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Interesting. And also a little Hammer horror.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

The full preview is now up at Newsarama.

And I peeked.
SPOILER! (select to read)
I mean, sure, we all knew it was going to be Tarantulas, but... kind of excited now.

Squeeee!!!

Also -- while I'm tempted to call Hubcap the 'traitor' (his skills sort of match Tarantulas's description), that would be a bit too obvious. Coincidence too.
Terome

Post by Terome »

SPOILER! (select to read)
Springer is Prowl's son and he's going to have to beat up his mother, a giant spider, to save him?!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Well this certainly got interesting. I read it at lunch and just read all three issues and the story flows so much better in one sitting. A bit disappointed that there was a lack of animal bots but Carnivac had some great stuff which pales into insignificance next to Tarantulas who might just be IDW's next iconic villain. A superb job by Roche writing him, and I still really like the noir style art work. Can't wait to see how it all ends