Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yeah, that line has never made any sense to me...it was something he did for a living after all....

I'm sure there'd more likely be major psychological side-effects from constantly dipping into people's brains, but death seems a bit much and dramatic. I suppose if it makes you lose your mind, then you could go that way, but still...
Flimflammery
Protoform

Post by Flimflammery »

Wasn't the fear of death specifically with regards to performing the procedure on dead people? Specifically Shock and Rodimus from the alternate Lost Light.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

tbh, I can't remember. Didn't MU Rewind in his last message tell him to stop injecting because it would kill him?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

This is the first instance where its properly knackered him out, though. All previous times Rewind, as you say, has commented about how dangerous it is. This time and for reasons not known yet, Tailgate seems to have really pushed Chromedome to some limits.

It must be due to TG's weird and still unexplained panic attacks that were shown back in the first issue. I still think there was something else that Tailgate was reacting to when he had that panic attack upon seeing Whirl unconscious on the floor (again, in issue one). It must've triggered a memory in Tailgate that sent him off-line, and maybe Chromedome knows what that is now?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

pandagork wrote:I suppose part of it is Chromedome's insistence that performing the procedure is very dangerous and could kill him only when it suits him. He's perfectly happy to do it for the greater good or to help a friend, but the rest of the time it's like "nope, I could die". I'm presuming there's a reason for it
There was a comment in one of the early issues that Mnemosurgery tends to kill its practicioners off relatively young (whatever constitutes as young to a Transformer). So I guess you could say there's some canon statement we can point to that it is a dangerous profession and Chromedome's not just bigging himself up. I think it was a comment made in one of the Shadowplay issues?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I always thought they were tiptoeing around the fact that mnemosurgeons tend to off themselves after wracking up a ton of horrible experiences...
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

So I went back and re-read it again (and again and again) and still, that two page schism just reads so badly. It's not only a recap, it's a sloppy one. Even if all the stuff revealed in those two pages gets sorted out properly later on, to me the damage is already done. Also, the stuff between Froid and Rung doesn't really ring true at any point, and throwing Sunder in there seems like an easy kop out to get at Skids memories. However, all of the stuff with Skids in Grindcore, and the final page reveal are really well done. Again, I think it's the weakest issue since the book started finding it's feet. Also, I love Hayato Sakamoto's art but I don't think this was an issue for him. I would have prefered if Shearer had done this one and Sakamoto number 47
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Don't know how much it helps but Roberts has said in his recent twitter Q & A that he intended 47 to 49 to be somewhat of a trilogy...so stuff that feels incomplete regarding Tailgate and Getaway will probably be fleshed out more this month.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Knightdramon wrote:Don't know how much it helps but Roberts has said in his recent twitter Q & A that he intended 47 to 49 to be somewhat of a trilogy...so stuff that feels incomplete regarding Tailgate and Getaway will probably be fleshed out more this month.
Gonna hold you to that knighty.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Knightdramon wrote:Don't know how much it helps but Roberts has said in his recent twitter Q & A that he intended 47 to 49 to be somewhat of a trilogy...so stuff that feels incomplete regarding Tailgate and Getaway will probably be fleshed out more this month.
you're more than likely correct, but as it was presented it's pretty bad. I would have preferred something a bit more ambiguous as to Cyclonus' fate and something with Getaway and Atomiser devising an exit strategy than what we got. Another thing is that even though I feel this issue was bad, it's only because the bar has been set fairly high
Patapsco

MtMtE49: Speak, Memory Part 2

Post by Patapsco »

http://i.imgur.com/BfSoWg9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G9lx0ma.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JGV45Te.jpg

So, to quantify everything here - this is the forth time that something catastrophic has happened to the crew which has lead to their disappearance or incapacity (Spotlight: Trailcutter, slaughterhouse, Elegant Chaos); the fourth time that an unspeakable evil has stalked the corridors of the ship (Overlord, the DJD, the Sparkeater). Plus Tailgate is up and around as if it ain't no thing further ruining whatever leftover emotions were left after number 47. To sum this preview up in .gif form

Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Is that a brain module on the floor?
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Unicron wrote:Is that a brain module on the floor?
That was my first thought too but, as has been shown time and time again, Tailgate wouldn't recognise a brain on account of him not actually owning one
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Don't have a problem with this... not particularly looking forward to present-day DJD returning (unless this is a final outing for them) or the prospect of crap seeping over from ex-RID with the "All Hail Optimus" storyline that's being touted.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

The DJD thing is awfully backed into a corner and there's seemingly no resolution that will leave either readers or Hasbro satisfied. If they kill Megatron, then what? If they in turn get killed, how do they manage it seeing as the five of them pretty handily slaughtered the alt-LL crew without breaking a sweat, and now they have Deathsaurus and his merry band of Breastforce miscreants with him.

As for this, I *actually* like Sunder. I just really don't care for Rung, or Skids or Tailgate or Froid. I think all of their "arcs" are hopefully done and some of the other 190-odd members of the crew can get some face time

Also, I hope that Roberts decides that Dominus Ambus should be Tarn and not Roller. That would redeem this sorry arc in my opinion
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I think I need to re-read this one but oh this is so much better than the shower that was the last one. Don't really like Tailgate as a new outlier, but Rung resigning is great character development, as is Megatron's stare down with Sunder and refusing to shoot him. I swear, Megatron is to Roberts what Grimlock was to Furman.

Oh and Tarn got to get got. No reveal as to who he actually is but man, that last panel was brutal in the extreme. No wonder Skids forgot about it...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well that was more like it! Mainly because it pretty much totally ignored the stuff I didn't like about the last issue (though dense as I was I just assumed Getaway had been strung up like that by Sunder. It was only reading the wiki synopsis that made me realise the Autobots had done that to him to stop him escaping. Sensible, but boy Brainstorm really did get let off lightly didn't he?).

As noted the "Thing stalks the ship" plot has been done before, but the fantastic dark art and the fact it was mostly not an action piece but a tension building exercise made it feel just different enough. And Sunder's ripping people apart gimmick was tremendous fun (though presumably non-lethal if Rodimus got better?).

Highlight of the present day scenes was everything to do with Megatron. Yes we're obviously heading for his words to be badly undermined very soon, but there was still power to his refusal to use a gun. Great scene with Rung as well, even if I was shouting "For God's sake man, he's a terrible psychiatrist who was struck off for a reason, let him go!".

The shame here was Rung's ships didn't get to be what wrapped Sunder up, I'm sure super Tailgate will have signifigance down the line, but it would have been more dramatically pleasing here to have the character most connected to this plot get to resolve it.

Those Skids flashbacks... blimey. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be the reveal of who Tarn reeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllly is. Instead it suddenly turns into a story of the guy who built the showers at the Nazi death camps. A bait and switch that resulted in some extraordinarily powerful imagery, and probably the highlight of the three parter.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this story overall (needs a reread), but as an issue this pretty much hit all the right, bloody and dark notes.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

inflatable dalek wrote:Those Skids flashbacks... blimey. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be the reveal of who Tarn reeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllly is. Instead it suddenly turns into a story of the guy who built the showers at the Nazi death camps. A bait and switch that resulted in some extraordinarily powerful imagery, and probably the highlight of the three parter.
bait and switch is usually incredibly bad, and all the clues seemed to be leading to one of two conclusions: who 'Tarn' really is and what did Skids do to Quark. And yeah, I didn't see what he actually did coming at all so I have to give kudos to Roberts for doing it. Another thing - I guess now Chromedome and 'Tarn' are the only ones who know what Skids actually did? I presume with the DJD taking centre stage for issue 50 onwards that it's going to come up there, presumably with Brainstorm (where's he been?) finding out.

I didn't initially realise what they did to Getaway but assumed they'd just ripped out his voicebox and totally missed the missing limbs. And the Tailgate thing: well his spark was juiced by a combo of Cyclonus own spark and his Great Sword, no? Which makes, I'd presume, Cyclonus some sort of outlier if it works like that?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Has the acronym based thread title confused everyone? I expected Knightdramon would be bemoaning the lack of the Tarn reveal and Warcry would be lording it up over Skids by now.

It seems the Getaway thing has been rather controversial as people don't like the idea of doing that to a prisoner (we are talking about the Autobots though, whose idea of a prison is to remove the convicts soul and put it in a box). Roberts has talked more about this HERE
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I'm genuinely surprised that more people were outraged that essentially a PUA got thrown in prison than, I dunno, Cybertronian Auschwitz. And that Roberts has had to, for the second time in four issues, had to issue an explanation of his thinking to the screaming babies that form a portion of the "fandom"