Neophyte Amazon question.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Neophyte Amazon question.

Post by Auntie Slag »

I've got some money floating in a Paypal account. I thought I could pay for something on Amazon by adding/using what's in my Paypal account, but when I looked that option didn't seem to be available.

That must exist though, right? I've tried shouting at it, and I've made some tea. Then I thought I'd ask here because you chaps are knowledgeable :smokin:

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I have not once used PayPal on Amazon and don't recall ever seeing the option to do so.

Never even occurred to me before tbh.

#unhelpful
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I don't think Amazon lets you pay with PayPal. It caught me by surprise the first time I tried to order from them, but it actually makes sense. Since PayPal is/was owned by eBay, Amazon don't want people using it to pay because they don't want to help their top competitor's bottom line.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh okay, I didn't know they were eBay affiliated (other than having to use them to pay for stuff these days. I was more into eBay back when I could pay by cheque and you weren't constantly getting pounded by exorbitant P&P costs).

So that means I have to move the cash into a standard bank account then.

Warcry, I never told you this before but I happen to be the deposed President of Djibouti (this happened last Sunday), and now I really need to transfer a sizeable sum of cash and have someone hold it for a period of time. Of course you'll get a commission of sorts... :deadhorse:
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:Oh okay, I didn't know they were eBay affiliated (other than having to use them to pay for stuff these days. I was more into eBay back when I could pay by cheque and you weren't constantly getting pounded by exorbitant P&P costs).
Back when eBay bought them they made it pretty much compulsory for sellers to offer it as a payment option.

They've recently split back off into a separate company again though.

Paypal to current account transfers are pretty much instantaneous nowadays, tbh.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Instantaneous eh? Aside from everyone decent dying in the last four months, its certainly nice living in the future.

Time to instantaneous the **** out of Paypal.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Officially it's "may take upto two hours to appear in your account" but in my recent experience this time not even Easter Sunday can stop him now.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Does Paypal do the thing where they drop a certain amount of pence into your account and you have to confirm the amount in order to get an account? Because that was definitely a thing when I signed up for an account in 2001
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

That's probably a thing if you've never done it before.

But I'm sure somebody called Slag has done it before.

To be clear, in this instance I'm using the phrase "done it" as a barely-veiled single entendre.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Do the forum rules allow single entendres?

I don't know about the pence thing, I just know there's a little bit of money in the account and if I don't use it on a pointless asinine thing to temporarily reduce my lack of self worth then I'm not doing my job as a responsible consumer.

This is for Queen and Country.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Queen as in the band.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Country as in Big Country the band.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Auntie Slag wrote:Country as in Big Country the band.
I unironically love Big Country
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Surely that's the only way.

Then again, on Radio 6 this morning Lauren Laverne was playing some generic Motown wank. It was no-one famous and the song was derivative, yet I'm sure there were hipsters in Shoreditch nodding along to it in overpriced coffee shops thinking they're it.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

was it original motown, because that stuff is never wank, or some sort of modern day interpretation of it?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah if you're suggesting that original Motown is anything less than awesomesauce then we're going to have to rethink the entire board's approach to you.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

It was Motown Junk, baby!

And I was that ****ing hipster! I defy you to understand a word he sings, but its still brilliant! Castro was in the audience watching this apparently (though perhaps not moshing).

Actually I don't know what it was, I'd never heard it before and it didn't impress me. I'm not a massive Motown fan aside from a lot of the obvious ones and a few specific meaningful/personal tracks. But Radio 6 (and all the other BBC stations) post an entire track listing for each programme, so I could find out easily enough.:)
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

That is acceptable, though minus points to the sound guy for doing whatever the hell that was to Nicky's bass, and also for no alternative intro
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, thought it was worth a post as The Stones are touring Cuba at the moment and lots of people and journo's seem to think they're the first Western band to play there. And it was nice to see this vid again.

(Oh yeah, and thanks to the Mod who fixed my links in the 'Post your Youtube videos' thread. Much appreciated. I was able to copy the method there to make this link work :))
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

The Manics have been one of my favourite live bands for a while now, and they've essentially got to the point where they will willingly pick and choose what they throw into their sets. I saw them headline the second stage at Reading in 2009, and they threw out 'Of Walking Abortion' from The Holy Bible which made me go "you're playing what?"