[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Notabot wrote:I picked up Shadow of Mordor for $15 the other day, and I'm really liking it. A bit of a learning curve when you start, and I'm still not certain I'm doing things right, but I've only put in about an hour.
SoM really shines when you start delving into the Orc hierarchy. By and large, the gameplay is very Assassin's Creed: Middle Earth, but the adaptive hierarchy and the wraith's ability to place sleeper agents are absolutely phenomenal.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just got into the branding, and I'm really liking the game. Never played any of the Assassin's Creeds, so it's all new to me. I was finishing up the first area and thinking it was coming to a satisfying conclusion, and all of a sudden there's a WHOLE 'NOTHER AREA!!!! With lots more to do. Which made me even happier. Totally worth $15!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Yeah, it's got a surprising amount of space to play in.

Picked up Arkham Knight. Even if everything I've heard is true and it's the weakest of the "trilogy", that would still make it better than most.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Picked up Arkham Knight. Even if everything I've heard is true and it's the weakest of the "trilogy", that would still make it better than most.
I really enjoyed Arkham Knight. Maybe it was because it was my first PS4 game, but I enjoyed it more than City. Asylum still might be my favorite of the bunch, but it's close.

Before going on a short vacation, I bought a couple classic platformers on the 3DS: Super Mario World (SNES) and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 3D. I'm surprised how many of the secret exits in SMW that I remember off-hand. I don't think there has been one yet that I haven't gotten on a couple tries. Made it to the Forest of Illusion last night... what an ace game!

Sonic 2 is probably one of my favorites from the Genesis (though I think I like Sonic 1 better). I really like the art design and the music is fantastic. My only gripe with the game (which probably holds true for most Sonic games) is the enemy placement. Sonic is a game built for speed, no? Yet I find myself tapping the forward button cautiously in later levels to spare myself from running into enemies that pop up in odd places. It really kills the pacing. The earlier levels don't exhibit this as much, but I really noticed it as I was going through Metropolis Zone. Damn crab things and praying mantises everywhere I turn while I'm trying to hold on to my last couple of lives.

Oh, and I knocked out the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess HD, and made it to the Eldin Province and started collecting Tears of Light. I think I've got the container 1/2 full before bedtime hit. Good game, but it's definitely got slow parts.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

To go from oldest to newest....

Deja Vu: for the NES. A crime noir game where you try to figure out who gave you amnesia while trying to prove you didn't murder the woman whose body is in the trunk of your car. It's a fun game, though this copy I got purely for nostalgia's sake.

Catwoman: for the GBC. I had some store credit, and I was curious. It's not bad..... but it's not great, either.

Then I wandered into a Goodwill. I've never been in one before. May never go again. I was mainly curious, but I found a couple of games.

Mechwarrior 2 and Battlezone for the PC. At the time MW2 came out, my PC couldn't handle it, and by the time I had one, 3 and 4 had come out and were much easier to find. But I was able to play on friend's computers, and MW2 was always fun. Not as much fun as the original was, but technically superior.

Battlezone was a game I loved in the arcades way back when. The home computer port was called Stellar 7, and while it built on the game, nobody appears to have done anything with it after Dynamix. Activision released a version, and I loved the demo, but I never found he game itself. And now, 16 or so years after it came out, I finally found it.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

If anyone is collecting for Disney Infinity 3.0, all the 3.0 figures are Buy 1, Get One for $1 right now. Yesterday I made a run and picked up Kylo Ren and Yoda, for a total of under $20. I think the deal includes all the 3.0 figures, if I am not mistaken. Oddly, this deal was in the 'Weekly Deals' online, but posted absolutely no where by the figures in the store - I didn't have any problems at check out, though. If you run into a snag, TRU's policy is to match prices, so just show them their own online deal and it'll go through.

As I understand it, Target is also running a deal of Buy 1 Get One @ 50% off.

Apparently this week is prime time to get Infinity 3.0 figures!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Combining two things I like in one really in my Eve Online hangar and if anyone plays, hit me up but don't blow me up
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Though I just bought a couple Infinity figures, I couldn't turn down some new ones. Best Buy had a hell of a deal, so for $5 each I picked up Darth Maul, Sabine, Kanan Jarrus, Ezra Bridger, and Zeb Orrelios. That was all the Star Wars related ones at that price, but I was also tempted to get Hulkbuster, but passed.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

It's been years, but I finished Super Mario World again, on my 3DS this time. What an enjoyable game. Forgot some of the secrets, and haven't finished the Star World, but I'll go back and do that at leisure. Brings back a ton of good memories.

Also, played some Infinity 3.0 with my new Rebels figures with the kids last night. They had a blast just walking around. They also got a big kick out of me grabbing the little citizens and punting them into a nearby pond. Good times are had when those two are giggling like crazy.

Also still chipping away at Twilight Princess HD. After finishing the Goron Mines, I've made it to Lake Hylia and I'm ready to collect the Tears of Light there. I remember enjoying the visuals of this game back in 2006, but it's amazing what an HD facelift can do. It's definitely dated, but this is a pretty game. And fun.

What a great time to be a gamer!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been chugging through some Infinity 3.0, and decided I would try to get Platinum on this game. All the trophies seem fairly straightforward; I usually don't trophy hunt, but I am already really close to finishing the requirements. Last night I knocked out one of the more difficult ones - Play 10 Arcade Matches. Doesn't sound that tough, but when the servers are sub-par, the typical user base goes to bed well before I usually have a chance to play, and the match-making system is not great, getting into an online match becomes a chore. Thankfully I don't need to visit the online section anymore, because the modes were not really that much fun.;)
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'm having a good time with Infinity as well. Finished up the Toybox Takeover (might still have some feats to get, but not sure). I got Twilight of the Republic for less than $10 (including Anakin and Ahsookawhatshername) off Ebay and am really enjoying that. I can't help but notice that Jar Jar doesn't appear at all in the Infinity world. At least not that I've found.

I don't know if it's just the Twilight of the Republic playset or if it was in the latest update, but I'm soooooooo glad that people Force Dashing stop at the edge of cliffs now! That was so annoying to send your character flying off the edge because the camera angle changed at just the wrong moment!

Edit: Dang! Looks like I was wrong about Jar Jar. Sidenote: We watched The Phantom Menace with my kids for the first time. Jar Jar is even more obnoxious and annoying than I remembered! And he uses several catch phrases from the little girl on Full House. Ugh!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Finally playing Dragon Age: Inquisition on my new PS4 and having a lot of fun too.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:I'm having a good time with Infinity as well. Finished up the Toybox Takeover (might still have some feats to get, but not sure). I got Twilight of the Republic for less than $10 (including Anakin and Ahsookawhatshername) off Ebay and am really enjoying that. I can't help but notice that Jar Jar doesn't appear at all in the Infinity world. At least not that I've found.

I don't know if it's just the Twilight of the Republic playset or if it was in the latest update, but I'm soooooooo glad that people Force Dashing stop at the edge of cliffs now! That was so annoying to send your character flying off the edge because the camera angle changed at just the wrong moment!

Edit: Dang! Looks like I was wrong about Jar Jar. Sidenote: We watched The Phantom Menace with my kids for the first time. Jar Jar is even more obnoxious and annoying than I remembered! And he uses several catch phrases from the little girl on Full House. Ugh!
Yep. Jar Jar is there. We also just watched Ep. 1 with the kids, and yep, still annoying, just like you mentioned. But hey, that little girl from Full House is now on Fuller House. Minus some of the quips.

To be honest, I don't think I've paid full price for anything regarding Infinity. The playsets and figures go on sale so often, I'm never pressed for buying them at full retail. :up:

Also, just linked my little Windows 10 tablet/laptop to my PS4 for remote play. Pretty cool to play my PS4 anywhere in the house, except for the little bit of lag that comes with it.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I saw the announcement about that and was thinking about setting it up. Not that I'd use it very often, but always fun to have options. And to feel superior to those who don't have it. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Last week I encountered a nasty potentially game-breaking bug that stopped me from completing a main quest mission on Fallout 3, forcing me to start a new character to quickly rush through the main story and see if I could make it past that mission, which I did, so now I back on track to finishing the game, although I have to re-collect all the bobble-heads again to help level up my character.

I'm also concerned about the expansion packs, as from what I hear they can also be buggy and glitchy.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:I saw the announcement about that and was thinking about setting it up. Not that I'd use it very often, but always fun to have options. And to feel superior to those who don't have it. :)
It's pretty simple to do so. I won't use it much, if at all, either. I think it took about 5-10 minutes to get it to go, and most of that was just downloading and installing the app on my PC.

The visuals look a little muttled on my tablet, but I didn't tinker with it much. There may be a setting around in there to get it to look cleaner. I didn't notice too much lag either, but I don't know if I would go so far as to play Battlefront on it. Infinity on the other hand, worked just fine.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - Special Edition.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finally got the Platinum on Disney Infinity 3.0! It wasn't too bad - the last couple of trophies were more just knocking out a few 'Feats' here and there. First game I ever actually got the Platinum on though!

Otherwise I haven't been playing much of anything these days; it's just been too busy. I still have The Force Awakens playset to get through though, which I will do in time. For a bit, I may go back to Twilight Princess HD and probably some Battlefront considering Wednesday is May 4th.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I finished up Tearaway a couple days ago. It's a fun game and has lots of neat concepts, but it is seriously hampered by bad camera angles and some glitchy seams. The camera will often automatically place itself either behind some scenery or at an angle where you can't really even see what's going on when you kind of really have to. Worse, it'll randomly whip around to a new angle halfway through a mandatory platform jump. And the character kind of falls through accidental cracks from time to time, or will miss a trigger, forcing you to start over and hope it works next time. It is funny that the last chapter is unashamedly, blatantly, overtly a bunch of stuff they didn't really fully develop and just slapped together. So good game, but needs more work.

I re-started Transformers: Devastation. That's fun. They don't really tell you much about how to change your weapons at the beginning, which led to some frustration. Turns out you can't change them until you get mostly through the level and can get back to the Ark.

We also got Yoshi's Woolly World with all 3 of the soft Yoshi amiibos. They're really cute, but using them in the game actually makes the levels stupidly harder. That's pretty obnoxious. Great game, though. A lot like Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is to be expected since it's the same makers.

And we picked up Mario Kart 8 while it was on sale the other week. Good fun Mario Kart. And we've taken to calling the super-special eight-fold items doohicky "The Ocho". Which is also good fun.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Done 4/5s of the Fallout 3 DLC, about to do a bobble-head hunt for the 15 that I need and then I'll finish the remaining story quest and the last DLC and be done with this game, either next week or week after.