General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Just a bit of detailing to fill an awkward space. Works for me as a shared toilet for the barber and the Detective. I love funny little features like this - the 2008 Police HQ had toilets in the cells for the prisoners. Adds a bit of realism!

Yeah, I love that Who set. Well worth £50 quid of anyone's money. Loads of bits, but they're all really small ones so its easy to feel a bit jipped, but I've had so much fun with it. Can't recommend the Dimensions stuff though - a very pricy way to pick up a Cyberman mini-fig. I can't see Lego doing any more sets with Who though - Character proved its a difficult series to do much with other than Mini-fig + bit of scenery and, frankly, I've seen enough of that cobblers with Lego's other licensed stuff (and surprise! that's what the Ideas thingy is clogged up with.booooo).

Can't recommend the Detective's Office highly enough in anyone's feeling flush and fancies spaffing out on a massive Lego set. It's absolutely brilliant and I am totally in awe of it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Have completely lost track... do like the shark and the fact gold wing pieces will be available...

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/12/0 ... s-15-news/

http://i.imgur.com/1vehvBA.jpg
Thus far got Left Shark (sorry for stealing Sades, it just sort of stuck and now all three of us call him Left Shark) and the Queen that I've found most impressive; the jewel thief is pretty cool but lost a bit of impact because I've had Catwoman for years.

Already ended up with three of Gold Wing Guy - hopefully there are some nutters out there army building him. The winged space guy is a little bit better with his EEG face. And I'm guessing they're contractually obliged to throw in another bloody knight each wave.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I got it from the Brothers Brick website... but yes, how dare you.

I'm thinking about going onto eBay and locating past Advent Calendar sets the next time I have money (ha!)... building a LEGO Santa Village/ice skating rink/winter carnival is a want for next Christmas.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Lots of the really fun bits from the advent calendar are just simple bricks with a little imagination, so it might be worth trying Bricklink or similar before forking out for the advent sets themselves - somehow I doubt they get reduced to nothing in January like most advent calendars! Will see if I can get some close-up pictures of some of the neater bits from mine at some point.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I wonder if you can stack Duplo on top of that.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Thaaaat's so cool. And probably not, the pegs don't look to be the right size.

Who the hell is it that makes the little Transformer minifigs that come in bags, it's not LEGO but I can't remember offhand (it's KRE-O, I'm a moron). Those always bothered me very slightly because they didn't actually transform. (I'm aware that's stupid, but nonetheless it's what it is :p). Also, I found combining them to be a bit tedious, you couldn't really play with the combined form without it falling apart, etc.

This, it looks like you can actually play with. Not sure how much building there is to do with it, but at least there's transforming involved (even if it's into a brick).
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Minifigs. Got the Faun and the Laser Mech. The Laser Mech is pretty cool, his sword has a streak of white paint in it. The Faun has appropriately shaped legs and a unique hair piece with horns. The hunt for Left Shark continues.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

was bored yesterday so went back to my old Technic sets. 12 hours later and I'm finished

and next to CW Defensor for a size comparison

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Love those massive Technic sets. My favourite is that black tow truck from c.2006.

Is the arm on that motorised or uses pneumatics?
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

it's motorised, but I've got no batteries to test it. I may have another power pack knocking about to test it. I was inspired as Technic are essentially re-releasing this as a Merc truck for £170 and I was very close to buying iy
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

This is the new version of that truck I built above, yet it has somehow increased by over 900 pieces and yet costs the same as the 1800 piece one I bought in 2010.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I thought that Peter Pan minifig was Link until I saw the URL and realized they were all Disney figures. Rumor was that the Ideas Link vs. Ironknuckle set was nixed in part because it would've required a custom mold for Link's head. Maybe they'll revisit that idea using Peter's head piece for Link.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

They're doing a Lego Ghost Rider!!!! I'm so excited!!!! Whoop!
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Sades

Post by Sades »

Captain Hook and Buzz Lightyear, thaaat's about it.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:They're doing a Lego Ghost Rider!!!! I'm so excited!!!! Whoop!
Maybe they go insane and make a Lego Punisher set.

But yeah, I'm pretty excited about this, hopefully this will actually show up on the shelves - there's actually a pretty good chance of that tho, lego has always made a pretty good showing on the toy shelves here even when everything else has been crap.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Lego has somehow managed to avoid the usual retailer demands for quick product turnover, and that has a lot to do with it. Instead of having six different waves of product a year at each price point, with each item only being available for a few months, they seem to put out one big wave of stuff in the summer and another at Christmas, and keep each set available for one to two years minimum. So even if the local stores are running behind, they'll catch up and you'll see pretty much everything eventually.

I don't know how they and only they manage to get away with it. They're a big global brand with a ton of name recognition, sure, but so are Hasbro and Mattel and they don't get to tell the big retailers to suck it.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Maybe it's because Hasbro makes My Little Ponies and Transformers and Mattel makes Barbies and Hot Wheels, but Lego only makes...Lego.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I reckon its because Lego is a solid seller generally and isn't subject to the whims of peaks and troughs in interest. Its also one of those toys that everyone (well anyone born after 1952) had as a child, and I can see that filtering down when folk have their own children.

Unlike a lot of other toys, your old stuff doesn't become redundant just because a new set comes out. Rather you can add to it. There's also the obvious imaginative and creative aspects to it, where the only limit is your imagination.

Its also a quality product, which helps. I don't think I've ever felt let down or cheated by a Lego set. There's always something you can do with it if you don't like it.

As an aside, we had a whip 'round at work for a work colleague who turned 50. I did the present buying, and one of the things I got was the a birthday cake set with a Jester that pops up when you flick a tab at the rear (you can also build numbers from the bricks). I just got it as an amusing diversion, but she actually loved it and thought it was brilliant!