Natgeo Wild

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dura
Protoform

Natgeo Wild

Post by dura »

Why is it okay to pit bugs against each other but we get up in arms about dog-fighting rings?
Sades

Post by Sades »

It isn't okay, but the main reason no one really GAF is because bugs aren't as cuddly as dogs.

MY TURN!

Why is a raven like a writingdesk?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Who would win in a fight between a lion and a tiger?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Would you rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Finally got around to googling that line in The Song Formally Known As;

http://www.caninest.com/white-dog-poop/

Or maybe this is the real answer;

http://sthelenscelebritynews.co.uk/fear ... hit-abuse/
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Why do we stand by and allow infanticide to go on in the Big Cat kingdom.

Or an army of ants to invade a termite mound, get to the Queen, and tear her to pieces?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

um, well, we're a bit big to fit into a termite mound to do anything about that one...

...and, um, nature. So survival of the fittest / territory/ food concerns.

The point with conservation and protection of species is to ensure they have a place/ space to live and survive, not to stop a particular creature doing what it would have done in the wild.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Natgeo Wild films the ants invading the different layers of the termite mound and the actual carnage occurring. I think they could spray the ants before they get to the Queen. They film the Queen termite getting ripped apart to shreds just to get ratings. They know exactly what is going to happen and they let it happen because they want to make a movie.

A mother lion will abandon her baby lion who got his leg or hip broken. Imagine if we did that? Why doesn't Natgeo Wild take that baby lion to the animal hospital to get it fixed?
Sades

Post by Sades »

The ants are gonna do it anyway, why not film it?

People abandon babies all the time... That cub could become food for something else. Maybe that something else is a starving Hyena cub that would have died otherwise. Or a poor, thin, starving Vulture. won't somebody think of the Vultures?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

You're approaching that from a human perspective though, whereby we've evolved to do science and medicine and fix ourselves. Although historically, this didn't apply to every strata of society - and still doesn't depending on where you are in the world and what your local healthcare system is like.

It may seem 'wrong', but that Lioness (its definitely not a loin - that's a cut of meat) is being purely practical and pragmatic. She stays to look after him, she puts them both at risk from predators (and any other cubs she may have too). Plus, how would you ensure the cub's survival in the long run - it is crippled to the point where it can't fend for itself. Its not like she can pop it in a wheelchair and cart it around the outback. whilst on benefits.

You could argue that with medicine, we humans have over-extended and propagated beyond our natural limits to the extent the planet is in the mess it is now. Although global birth rates have started to decline, so some brakes in nature seem to exist.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Well, it's helped keep them going for around a million years so it can't be all wrong. That editing/voiceover to appeal on an emotional level is another matter, but it's needed to capture the attention/imagination of the everyday casual TV watcher, I guess.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Orcas can easily kill Great White sharks, yet they haven't been around as long as the sharks, which pre-date dinosaurs.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Killer Whales be crazy smart, yo. Sharks are, too. I prefer the sharks tbh, but only by a bit.

Technically dinosaurs are still here so I wouldn't call that race finished yet. We've got a couple (of the Sandhill Crane variety) that I believe are nesting by the pond to the north of our house, I watched them display to frighten a Fox earlier... they were spreading their wings, fluffing their feathers, pecking the ground, throwing sticks, all of that. It was pretty damn cool.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Sades

Post by Sades »

You should probably tell those lions that. Maybe they'll stop.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

If you have the power of a male lion you can do anything you want. You make the rules. You don't have to listen to anyone. If you want something you can just take it.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

You know what's more powerful than a male lion?

A robot lion.

You know what's more powerful than a robot lion?

Five robot lions.

You know what's more powerful than five robot lions?

Five robot lions that combine to form a giant robot super warrior.

Yeah.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

This is why that ship should have been called Boaty McBoatface rather than being named after a man WHO WATCHES ANIMALS DIE.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »