Favorite Transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Beach ****ing comber.
Fixed that for ya!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

So if Hot Rod does not interfere Optimus would still be alive, and Megatron would not have been turned into Galvatron, and possibly Shockwave would not have been killed.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Whilst it does seem like all Hot Rod's fault, I reckon the fight would have turned out in a similar fashion - Megatron had already been stalling by 'begging' for mercy so he could reach the pistol. If Prime hadn't dallied and just gone for the shot, Megatron would still have likely been able to dodge the shot, grab the pistol and shoot Prime in the robo-kidnies.

Also, there's nothing in what's seen in the animated film to suggest Shockwave is dead. We last see him saying "Decepticons scramble!" and nothing more. Hence the Marvel UK stories having him pick up the Deception leadership after the battle with Unicron and Galvatron's disappearance.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Optimus Prime was aimed and ready to fire. He couldn't because Hot Rod was in the way. Hot Rod threw himself in as a prop to be use by Megatron as a shield so he could grab the pistol and kill Optimus Prime.

That's why Hot Rod said to Prime, "Forgive me, Optimus."

Is death always this random, sudden and senseless in real life.

Do we look back and say if only this hadn't been done, that person would still be alive today?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

dura wrote:Optimus Prime was aimed and ready to fire. He couldn't because Hot Rod was in the way. Hot Rod threw himself in as a prop to be use by Megatron as a shield so he could grab the pistol and kill Optimus Prime.

That's why Hot Rod said to Prime, "Forgive me, Optimus."

Is death always this random, sudden and senseless in real life.

Do we look back and say if only this hadn't been done, that person would still be alive today?

Eh..... no. Most people die of natural causes, not because a young upstart gets involved with their to-the-death battle with a robotic dictator.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Hot Rod changed the whole course of Transformers history.

Imagine how different it would have been if Optimus Prime and Megatron were still the leaders of the Autobots and Decepticons coming out of the animated movie.

I guarantee you we would have gone way past Season 3 to Season 4, 5, 6, 7,........

We've seen what we get with Galvatron..........cancellation, "Heart of Darkness",......
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Bringing Optimus Prime back is clearly what cancelled the show, it only lasted three more episodes.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

inflatable dalek wrote:Bringing Optimus Prime back is clearly what cancelled the show, it only lasted three more episodes.
The show lost viewers after the animated movie because it killed off so many of the Transformers that fans knew and loved. They brought Optimus back as s last ditch effort to bring those fans back.

But it was too late because Rodimus and Galvatron had done too much damage. They would not have brought back Optimus if that was not the case. They saw the uproar and the drop-off in viewership after killing Optimis and Megatron off in the animated movie.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Bringing Optimus Prime back is clearly what cancelled the show, it only lasted three more episodes.
I think you'll find not featuring the year's best and most popular toy was probably its biggest mistake.

I mean imagine all the kids tuning in to the new event mini... there he is in the opening credits... but what's this? Where is he? Nowhere to be seen.

Cue Sunbow getting so many "where's Flywheels?" letters of complaint that they have to shut down the entire studio while they go through them. And by the time all the letters have been dealt with... oops. Forgot to make anymore episodes.

Whereas Headmasters had Flywheels in it and the Japanese cartoon ran for another three years.

CASE CLOSED.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

It didn't help having David Wise write "Rebirth". That probably killed the show.

Reviving and bringing back Optimus Prime and Megatron would have saved it.
inflatable dalek

They did revive Optimus Prime. I think someone mentioned that (and Megatron is in Return of Op Part 1 was well!).
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Optimus Prime and Megatron gave us Season 1 and a long Season 2, and Transformers: The Animated Movie.

And you're treating them this way? That's like treating someone bad after they've given you money.
inflatable dalek

And because I'm probably guilty of adding to the circular nature of this thread, to get back to the opening question...

When it comes to favourite Transformers, one big way I've changed since I was a kid is that I have a much bigger appreciation of Optimus Prime himself. Never disliked him, but was never that bothered by him. But I've really come to love pretty much every Peter Cullen associated version over the decade plus I've been in fandom.

I think though that my favourite all time Decepticon remains Marvel Bludgeon.

Last second response to the post made whilst I was writing that: I work in retail, I treat everyone who give me money badly.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:When it comes to favourite Transformers, one big way I've changed since I was a kid is that I have a much bigger appreciation of Optimus Prime himself. Never disliked him, but was never that bothered by him. But I've really come to love pretty much every Peter Cullen associated version over the decade plus I've been in fandom.
Yeah, it's easy to be dismissive and make jokes about boring one-dimensional goody-goodies, etc, but as I've gotten older I've acquired a ****tonne of affection for the sheer upstanding Hero Quality of the character. Represents an ideal, and you gotta respect that.

Not to the degree that I forget he's a fictional character created by a group of writers in order to flog toys, as certain people in this thread seem to have done, but still.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Well there's one thing I do like about Galvatron:

It's the best thing that came out of the animated movie. Maybe bringing him back is what caused the cancellation of the show.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Never forget that the g1 animated media drive the toys:

Not the other way around.

And now that we have third-party toys, it makes Hasbro and Takara almost obsolete.
inflatable dalek

Tarantulas is a character I like as well.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Is the Galvatron G1 toy with movie-accurate colors a fun toy to have?

Or is the Masterpiece G1 Shockwave better?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Well, they're two different characters who happen to share a colour scheme. Depends on how much you like purple.

In terms of the overall quality of the toys, the comparator isn't fair. Galvatron's original toy is exactly what you'd expect from an '86 TF. MP Shockwave is at the other end of the design and engineering spectrum.

Ultimately, it depends on what you're looking for.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I always look for a galvatron myself but I didn't like the recolour when I got to see it in the plastic. Looked paler than the movie.

For the record, Vicki vale loves purple in the first Tim burton batman so would probably go for shockwave. Worth noting though, like many discussed here, she is a fictional character.