What If, v.2, #64, by Furman & Senior

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Bumblemus Prime

What If, v.2, #64, by Furman & Senior

Post by Bumblemus Prime »

Apparently Simon Furman and Geoff Senior did an issue of What If where every Marvel hero wore an Iron Man suit? Anyone have it? Worth tracking down? It's most of the way down this page.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comic ... -wolverine
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I knew Furman had written a few of that series, but hadn't known he'd collaborated with Senior on more than the hugely fun and OTT Death's Head one. I suspect the plot may be bobbins (as is the want of the What If series), but more Senior Marvel heroes is a joyful idea.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I had that! It was a double sized issue and Furman and Senior went uncredited (along with everyone else).

The story is What If..? Iron Man went public and Stark basically sells the Iron Man suit tech to the government who use give it to the military and police, which goes as well as you'd think. Loads of superheroes end up retiring, because the firepower government agencies now have makes them leaping and bounding around pretty redundant. After witnessing a scuffle between the police and criminal, Peter Parker ends up saving a member of the public and realises how frightening and brutal the police now are. Along with a gaggle of other like minded heroes, they track down Stark who has become a recluse in an enormous set of armour that holds a doomsday device that would render all Stark tech useless. After something something involving Magneto, they convince Stark to take responsiblity for what he's unleashed and he comes back into the public eye to stand as a warning against misuse of his technology. And the Avengers are reformed. The end.

Its alright, most of interest for Senior's visuals. Not really worth tracking down unless you can find it cheap.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I suddenly remembered I do own this and have just read it.

Actually not a bad romp, with some nice visuals from Senior (love the Iron Guard having what's basically Judge Dredd's belt buckle. And there's something very Death's Head about the super War Machine here...) and Furman just having a ball with the mass death and destruction. Not essential by any means--I wouldn't regret not having come across it if it was by another creative team--but good solid fun. Only real shame is I didn't know who some of the heroes and villains were, making seeing alternate versions less interesting.

EDIT: August '94 cover date, so probably around the same time Senior came onto the G2 book?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Bumblemus Prime

Post by Bumblemus Prime »

I think A Rage In Heaven! was published in August 94, so this would have been some of his first genuinely post-Transformers, no, seriously-the-Transformers-are-gone work.

It was fun, if a bit weird and gonzo. Simon was obviously itching to write Magneto, so good that he got his chance.