How many will have to die before we get rid of weapons of war?!?!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

We are basically ****ed as a country whatever the outcome now I think.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

inflatable dalek wrote:We are basically ****ed as a country whatever the outcome now I think.
I dunno, I look around and see good people, in the main. Until the murder yesterday, I'd found the whole referendum stuff vaguely amusing (culminating in that bizarre face-off in the Thames). People who wouldn't ordinarily give a crap about politics ("they're all as bad as each other") are now actively engaged. My usually laid-back Twitter feed is abuzz with politics talk, and even one of the random Transformer blogs I read took time out today to make a heartfelt plea to voters.

Whatever the outcome of the referendum vote, the U.K. is a proud nation with a history of 'muddling through' and coming through adversity. I did an economics degree myself, so I know from experience how much rubbish economists spout; they're no more accurate than weather forecasters, really.

Truth is, either way the vote goes, no-one really knows what's going to happen to the world in five or ten years' time. But whatever happens will be down to democracy in action, decided by the will of the people, and I kinda like that principle.

Personally, I'm voting remain, albeit with a lot of caveats. I do think there should be a limitation on immigration, and I do think the EU could do with a top-to-bottom overhaul. But I'm a boring better-safe-than-sorry, risk-averse kinda guy, I'm happier sticking with what I know rather than taking a spin on the roulette wheel (I always order the same thing in a Chinese restaurant, for example).

But I don't fear Brexit, can't get worked up about the hyperbole and don't think Boris would make any worse a PM than some of the other arsehole leaders I've had to live through like Thatcher and Blair.

It's certainly nothing worth dying, or killing, for.
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Warcry wrote:Honestly, the quasi-religious reverence that some corners of the US seem to have for their founding fathers is a big part of the problem. There seems to be this idea that they're infallible, and that everything they wanted was right and their vision for the world is how the US should always be. Which, regardless of what you think for the founders as people, is a silly position to take when the world has changed so much over the last few centuries.
Well I certainly have a lot of respect for the founding fathers - which is helped by big servings of irony when you compare the things they said, to the things people who more or less worship them say.

Kinda like the tea party adopted the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, which had an entirely different during the revolutionary war - why, you'd almost think they grossly misunderstood or flagrantly disregarded their own history or something!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

So, the guy who killed Jo Cox was in court this morning and...

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Odd name for his parents to choose. But then there are people called Apple out there...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:Absolutely! I grew up hunting with lever actions, and I still use them. There's definitely some key things to know, especially if you're a lefty. PM me anytime if you need. :)
Will drop you a line one of these days, then. Thanks!
Sades wrote:I went to the US and didn't receive any bear arms. I was disappointed.
Dammit woman, you're Canadian! Walk out of your log cabin or igloo, look around the stark, flat, featureless horizon until you spot one, snowmobile out to it, knock it out with a slap shot and claim it's arms for yourself with a lumberjack axe. It's like you're trying to convince these people that we're not all a bunch of walking, talking stereotypes. :(
Tetsuro wrote:Well I certainly have a lot of respect for the founding fathers - which is helped by big servings of irony when you compare the things they said, to the things people who more or less worship them say.
I don't know what to think about them, honestly. Americans have built them up into these almost mythic figures, so much so that it's become difficult to separate the men from the myth. And of course, nowadays they're on the receiving end of criticism for things that were considered right and just at the time -- owning slaves, betraying their native allies, etc. Obviously those are bad things, but I don't know how I feel about judging historical figures using modern morality.
Patapsco wrote:So, the guy who killed Jo Cox was in court this morning and...

You have to wonder if he's actually that crazy, or if he's just a perfectly sane man trying to come off as a lunatic in order to get off with a stay in a mental hospital.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Crossbow Cannibal did the same thing when asked his name in court.

Imagine being their defence council. "I told you very specifically not to say that when asked your name, you're making my job needlessly difficult".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
lawkmlaw
Protoform

Post by lawkmlaw »

Hope to enjoy in this forum
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

If I had the money I think I would move to the UK or Canada. At least there I wouldn't have to worry about being shot.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...unless you go to Paris. Or Birstall.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I think that it's worth pointing out that guns aren't illegal in the UK. I mean, certain types are like goddamn assault rifles, machine guns and automatics, but you can legally obtain a firearm here
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:I think I might be the only one here who owns any, but even I think that the situation in the US is insane.
All the guns I own are Megatrons. That... probably sounds pretty matter-of-fact here, but in general conversation it's pretty funny.
There's a deeply-ingrained hardcore paranoia at work that resists any kind of new firearms legislation, and who'll lash out at anyone who dares to suggest that maybe they don't need 30-round magazines or armour-piercing rounds. Or that maybe it'd be a good idea if people on terrorism watchlists or with severe mental health issues weren't allowed to buy an AR-15. Or that maybe people shouldn't be concealed-carrying a handgun everywhere they go.
The problem is that the thoroughly romanticized idea of the patriotic gun owner is intertwined with conservative politics. Current political quagmires aside, this provides what would otherwise seem to be extreme position ("must have ALL the guns") a more robust legislative group to back it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Patapsco wrote:I think that it's worth pointing out that guns aren't illegal in the UK. I mean, certain types are like goddamn assault rifles, machine guns and automatics, but you can legally obtain a firearm here
I am well aware of that. But how many mass murders has the UK had in the last year? It's also a moot point since I can't afford to visit another country for a vacation much less to move to another country, so I'm stuck in the US.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:The Crossbow Cannibal did the same thing when asked his name in court.
The who, now?

Huh. Never heard of that asshole before. But based on what little Wikipedia has to say about him, he was legit crazy and probably should have been locked up in a mental institution from an early age. Whereas Mr. Freedom for Britain here was able to pass for normal up until he decided to blast an elected official with (according to rumours anyway) a homemade gun.
Clay wrote:All the guns I own are Megatrons. That... probably sounds pretty matter-of-fact here, but in general conversation it's pretty funny.
The sick part of it is that your Megatrons are technically illegal because ZOMG CAN'T GIVE KIDS TOY GUNS, but the actual gun he's based on is freely available (if rather expensive now, I'd guess, considering it's age).
Cyberstrike nTo wrote:I am well aware of that. But how many mass murders has the UK had in the last year? It's also a moot point since I can't afford to visit another country for a vacation much less to move to another country, so I'm stuck in the US.
Honestly, even in the US, massacres like this are hardly something you should worry about on a daily basis. It's like getting struck by lightning or being crushed by a derailed freight train. Obviously it's terrible when it happens, and governments should do whatever they can to prevent it, but it's not something you should live in fear of either. The strong emotional response that it gets out of so many people is in large part because of how rare and shocking it is (as opposed to the constant stream of handgun murders that are so common in some big cities that they don't even make the news anymore).
kathykit
Protoform

Post by kathykit »

thanks english