Revolution: IDW and the Hasbro Shared Universe.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...ROM looks like what you'd get if Iron Man humped a Cylon
Sades

I'm sure some of us were already thinking it...

Post by Sades »

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:My extensive researh (asking on Twitter) suggests IDW can use at least some of the back-story, presumably their good working relationship with Marvel has allowed some sort of deal to be done.
The publishing histories of Rom: The Spaceknight and The Micronauts entries from Wikipedia. It also gives a basic overview of the various Marvel series and Image/DDP series on the latter as well.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Only just spotted this thread now. I can't see any way in which this would be a good idea. Any attempt to pretend that their long-running TF and G.I. Joe series are in the same universe after stuff like AHM and Optimus Prime trying to conquer the planet are going to come off as frankly insulting to both readerships.

I get that the idea is to try and force people to read all their books by doing frequent storyline crossovers, but for me at least it'll have the opposite effect. If I need to read five other books to understand what's going on in Transformers comics, then more likely than not I'm going to stop reading Transformers comics, because I don't give a damn about any of Hasbro's other properties.

The constant crossovers, and nothing important happening except as part of a crossover, is one of the main reasons I don't bother with modern superhero comics. Transformers books were cool because they were off in their own little world and weren't being bothered by anything else. Hasbro had already started to ruin that with their annual "derail all your ongoing plotlines for three months to shill toys" events, and I can only imagine how bad it's going to get once they start roping in all these other toy franchises as well. Unless they can really surprise me, this'll probably be it for me and IDW's books.
Sades wrote:Image
:up:

I suspect he's the one who decided that merging all Hasbro properties into a single universe was a good idea.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The ONLY way that I could see this working if you made Revolution a lead-in for an all new separate universe. That way Hasbro, IDW. and the fans could have a stand-alone universe for The Transformers, MTMTE, and TAO and G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero and then you have a brand-new shared universe with The Transformers, ROM, The Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, M.A.S.K., Jem & The Holograms, My Little Pony, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, The Visionaries, The Inhumanoids, Robotix, The Go-Bots, and whatever other IP that Hasbro owns or IDW gets the rights too and toss them into this mess without having to mess up the TFU.

I mean hell the TFU a more mature line like Vertigo or MAX and make the shared universe a more kid-friendly line or vice-versa. That way people who want that want only to read the various TF books and have no interest in the other IPs and/or crossovers get to have 3 titles plus one-shots and mini-series that they can read and support and for those that are into shared universes with multiple books across various genres get that too.

That way everybody wins!
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Think I'll probably be the same. Nothing turns me off comics quicker these days than a crossover. Having a book about a bunch of characters you enjoy interupted every five minutes for some flabby "OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! (except you're not) " crossover to help someone's bottom line is balls. How about developing a readership and loyalty and longevity by just having good, solid comics on the stand? Instead of p***ing all the goodwill Dalek tells us MTMTE has generated up the wall for this shameless cash grab?

I nearly came close to dropping Ghost Rider (my lazy comparative standby and comic character that I really like, which I may have mentioned previously - sorry- repeatedly, despite all the character's comics being average at best) in the 1990s after the title went through three crossovers IN A ROW all of which were f***ing awful, particularly the "when will it stop?! please make it stop!" 20 part force ten expulsion of digestive gasses that was Siege Of Darkness. Siege Of Readers, more like.

Crossovers are for marketing men and Brian Michael Bendis. No-one else need apply.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I actually think this would be received better if it was a straight up ground level relaunch for all the franchises, give the current continuity a proper ending and then let this be its own thing rather than trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Received better by who?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Chris Ryall and his echo chamber?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

inflatable dalek wrote:I actually think this would be received better if it was a straight up ground level relaunch for all the franchises, give the current continuity a proper ending and then let this be its own thing rather than trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.
Well, in that case I can ignore it instead of worrying how it will affect my current favourite comic. But yeah, its the kind of thing that really needs a fresh start or at least closure to most of the main arcs. I can only speak as a TF fan though, none of the other stuff appeals to me. I mean, that Rom thing in particular looks pretty pointless in a universe with the transformers (in the same way, MASK is really only a subset of GI Joe.)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It's a pity, really. I rather enjoyed MTMTE. If it manages to come out of this relatively unscathed, I'll probably keep reading.

Heck, the only comics I'm reading right now are Harley Quinn and MTMTE, mainly due to the fact I jumped into MTMTE more or less with Season 2, and Harley because I wandered into the 'New 52' event a bit late, and by some miracle, Conner and Palmiotti have managed to keep the Harley book itself out of any company wide crossovers, so catching up when I started reading(around issue 8) was pretty easy.

In a way, I can kind of see a benefit to it. And if they ever do a monthly CSI book, I could see dropping Nightbeat into it as a semi-permanent cast member, but tying everything IDW does, or at least all their Hasbro titles, into one basket is just asking for trouble.

Unless you simply literally share the universe.... Say, do an issue of, oh, say Care Bears watching from the clouds as the Autobots and Decepticons inadvertently flatten a city. They save the people but have no impact on the battle at all barring commentary.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Issue 57 of MTMTE formally announced at the last one in its current format in the solicits in a really ****ing annoying way (*Make announcement that will make people mad *Tell them not to be mad in a patronising way):

https://twitter.com/inkybauds/status/745575987191111680

The way this is being handled is pure Andy Schmidt.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Jeez, I think this is me out lads. Sins wrapping up, MTMTE soon as well and Til all are one being frankly retreading the not exactly stellar original RID arc, there's not much that IDW are offering to keep me going.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, it sounds like a pretty natural jumping-off point to me. I'd imagine IDW's sales figures are going to take a big hit from this. Even if it was a good idea, the hamhanded way it's been handled would be enough to drive off a lot of readers.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Even if it was a good idea, the hamhanded way it's been handled would be enough to drive off a lot of readers.
See also pretty much every editorial decision IDW have made...
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I could have sworn Roberts said something about post Dying Of The Light and...

Oh
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Oh yipee another crossover. Because the last one was so great.

This is killing my enthusiasm and I'm struggling enough to find comics I enjoy reading. To have one that I have enjoyed so much be subjected to this crap is hugely disappointing. Never under estimate greed and avarice.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

And there we have it. MtMtE season 2 ends, we go to Titans Return and Season 3 will be back as a soft reboot as number 1. So stop flailing and wailing
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

No. I reserve the right to flail and waive as I see fit.

Nice to see IDW on top of the PR and explaining whats actually going on again. sigh.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Totally agree, the writers shouldn't be having to come out and explain what's going on... However, this isn't as big a deal as the "fandom" is making it out to be