[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Doom Collectors Edition.

I've finished the story as well as the cases and girlfriend stuff, now I'm making my way through the collectibles, side missions and stat awards and then finally the DLC.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Proving that nostalgia is a double-edged sword.......

Mega Man VII - Not only does it end my need to get the Mega Man Legacy Collection(I've got 1 - 6 on virtual console already, but was wondering if the remixes were any good), but it plays well on the 3DS. And the save state is great. Assuming I ever get to an item shop, I'm going to have a lot of screws......

Time Lord - I got this one when it came out years and years ago, and didn't enjoy it because I got stuck. So I figured, "Hey, since I'll be playing it on a color TV, maybe I can figure it out this time. And the cart is only 5 bucks. Why not?" I'd forgotten how..... M'eh, yeah, m'eh is a good description. I'd forgotten how m'eh it is.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

I've caught like four Eevees. I'm going to evolve all of them. I'm one Pokemon catch away from evolving one and I can't wait. While I like the lack of competition out here, I really can't wait to get to the city.

I think the best thing I've caught so far (asides from multiple Eevees) was a Pidgeotto. No dead people yet.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hound wrote:Two words: Pokemon Go
Sades wrote:Word, dawg (ha)

Oddly enough, there's no pokemanz out in the sticks.
Sades wrote:I've caught like four Eevees. I'm going to evolve all of them. I'm one Pokemon catch away from evolving one and I can't wait. While I like the lack of competition out here, I really can't wait to get to the city.

I think the best thing I've caught so far (asides from multiple Eevees) was a Pidgeotto. No dead people yet.
Got this as well and started it. Haven't done much since, but I really see the appeal. Funnily, I friend of mine snapped a photo of people wandering around at a local sculpture park. Turns out the 10-12 people doing so were all playing Go.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've got like a billion Drowzee...

I've got a few Pikachu, 2 Squirtle, a Wartortle, a Cloyster and a Nidarino though so am happy.
Sades

Post by Sades »

This thing could probably very easily take over my life if I didn't have a kid and a significant other. I'm looking forward to the walking motivation, though, and I have friends who play so this could give us something fun and free to do together.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:This thing could probably very easily take over my life if I didn't have a kid and a significant other. I'm looking forward to the walking motivation, though, and I have friends who play so this could give us something fun and free to do together.
Very true - just don't bake your little one in the sun while catching the Pokemons! I haven't been able to get out and give it a go (pun intended) since Saturday, so I've largely been out of the loop.

On the flipside, I managed a couple hours of time on the Wii U last night, knocking out the Arbiter's Grounds on Twilight Princess HD. Such a massive, wonderfully designed dungeon! I takes a while to get through, but the puzzles are fun (not too difficult) and the final boss, Stallord, is enjoyable. I never felt like I was even close to death at any point during the fight. However, it's the weird battle using the spinner that makes it memorable. It's a reminder of how good Nintendo can be at making games.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That was a fun dungeon and the spinner was a great item. I just wish there was more to do with it in the rest of the game.

It's been a few years since I played Twilight Princess, but my impression of the game was that it was a whole bunch of great sequences and levels that suffered from not feeling as connected to each other as they should. A big part of that was that it seemed like a lot of the items didn't get as much play outside of their home dungeon as they should. I can't think of more than a handful of times that I equipped the ball and chain, the spinner, the dominion rod, slingshot or iron boots outside of the sequence where I was "supposed" to use them.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:That was a fun dungeon and the spinner was a great item. I just wish there was more to do with it in the rest of the game.

It's been a few years since I played Twilight Princess, but my impression of the game was that it was a whole bunch of great sequences and levels that suffered from not feeling as connected to each other as they should. A big part of that was that it seemed like a lot of the items didn't get as much play outside of their home dungeon as they should. I can't think of more than a handful of times that I equipped the ball and chain, the spinner, the dominion rod, slingshot or iron boots outside of the sequence where I was "supposed" to use them.
I like the idea of the spinner, but there needed to be 'track' spots to really use it, much like grinding rails. I wish it was more useful as a weapon. It got some good love in Hyrule Warriors, though.\

I love the atmosphere of TP a lot. The music, aesthetic, and gameplay are all great. But yeah, when you boil it down, the dungeon items are sparingly used. There are a small handful of consistently used items like the bow, lantern, bombs, hookshot (clawshot) and the others fall to the wayside. I also can't understand why the Zelda titles give you a slingshot early on, and in an hour you'll have a bow, trumping the slingshot in all regards. It makes zero sense.
Sades

Post by Sades »

ganon578 wrote:Very true - just don't bake your little one in the sun while catching the Pokemons! I haven't been able to get out and give it a go (pun intended) since Saturday, so I've largely been out of the loop.
Ha hahahaha, almost all I do when we're out on hot sunny days during the summer is worry about this kid's skin, so this is super-funny to me. :D I've only been able to head out a handful of times myself so we're probably in the same boat.

This game is turning out to be strangely divisive, isn't it?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I was bored at work and my Twitter/FB feed is full of people playing Pokémon Go, so I decided to download the app and give it a spin.

Bearing in mind that I have literally no clue on Pokémon beyond the vague concept and familiarity with TEH MEMES, but think that the idea of this specific game is absolutely brilliant.

Within five minutes I'd caught four of the buggers without even leaving my seat. So that's good. I caught another by my car before leaving and there was one more sat in my living room (albeit a duplicate of one I'd already got).

Not a clue what I'm meant to do with them once they're collected, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting my phone out wherever I get to somewhere new and see what's about.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yeah, I don't think I've got enough space on my phone to download it, but it's a genius idea and you can see why it's taken off so massively.

Plus, all the people walking off cliffs and into rivers is the best cleansing of the really dim since sat navs were invented.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

My phone doesn't have a gyroscope so I can't add them into photos, but that doesn't matter. I caught eight or so just walking to the cinema on Monday
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, my phone lacks a gyroscope too. Not a huge tjong, just can't use AR mode. Pfft, big deal.

My new life goal is to catch/hatch a Snorlax.

I caught Meowth two days ago. Jigglypuff too!

(I was initially going to change the weird typo but I decided to leave it. What's funny is, when I did liberately try to type "tjong" here at the end of the sentence, my phone autocorrected it to "thing")
Hound

Post by Hound »

Caught a Venonat this morning. That's the first non-duplicate that I've caught in a couple days.

I haven't had the opportunity to really explore yet, I've pretty much just been playing on the way to and from work.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Wait till i get there, we will do ALL of the walking.

I hatched a 5km egg and it turned out to be a Paras. It was cute, but decidedly anticlimactic.

I've got 2 10km eggs incubating now. C'monnnnnn Snorlax/Dragonite. I have a particular gym I must make mine.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Where do I get an incubator from? I've got a couple of eggs from the Pokéstop outside my front door (accessible while I'm in bed! result!) but dunno where to get the other bits from.

I've caught 34 of the buggers so far across 11 different types. Progress yesterday was slightly hampered by the servers being ****ed and being unable to log in between 10am and 7pm.

Can't move without encountering Weedles, Pidgeys and Ratatas.
Hound

Post by Hound »

You should already have an incubator in your items. go to your Pokemon list and tap on an egg. then tap start incubating.

Just woke up, I hope I got that right...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Aaah, got it now. I was looking at the incubator through the items screen and it was ghosted, so I thought that meant I hadn't got one.

I understandz now. Thanks. :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, I was sitting in a playground that was conveniently a Pokestop yesterday, looking forward to getting teh mad Pokegainz with the lure module you get at level 8 but the servers were trashed. Didn't get on till we were leaving.

You get a second incubator aaaat... I want to say level 7 but I don't remember now... But its only 3 uses.