POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

G1 Landmine.

I've seen a few reviews knock his robot mode, but I have to admit, I kinda like it. The decals and the wider variety of colours at least make him more visually interesting than most of the other Pretenders' three-tone affair. I also got one whose shell has next to no paint wear which is nice, but desperately needs new stickers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Nah, Landmine sucks, you're crazy.
numbat wrote:Sure you can find room - I mean, he's never going to have to go in to storage when he's this much fun, is he?
No, no, that's the problem! I have nowhere I can put him but storage. There's nowhere else in our little house that I can put something as big as Fort Max where our 13 month old won't get his hands on it. Even my Sentinel Prime already has tooth marks and he's not tackle-hug sized. I don't know if Max would survive.

In other news, I finally found the first wave of Titans Returns Deluxes last night! Blurr and Scourge look like ass in person just like they did in pictures (I'm not one for playing the Takara card but damn did they make these two look so much better). Hardhead and Skullcruncher, on the other hand, looked great!

Hardhead is a lot of fun! He's not super complicated, but he's nice and poseable. The cannon adds a lot of play value in both modes, and also gives a lot of variability to his robot mode look. I could easily see the mold working as the rumoured Quake (albeit one inspired by his older-than-dirt BotCon appearance), but also expect we'll get a lot of Megatron (both G1 and G2), Soundwave and Stalker customs out of it. The way his legs transform really bugs me, though -- not because it doesn't work, but because it reminds me so much of another toy I own and I can't for the life of me figure out which one.

Skullcruncher is a bit messier. In the short time it's been out the figure has become notorious for having loose, floppy legs, and mine was definitely afflicted with that. I've tightened them a bit by clear-coating the ball joints and swivels, but straight out of the box the figure would barely stand in robot mode. My other gripe is that his face proportions are all kinds of messed up. He's about 50% forehead, and while you could point to Hardhead for having weird face proportions too, he's got a faceplate so it doesn't look so strange.

On the flip side, Skullcruncher is also known for having a lovely, expressive beast mode, and that's definitely true. The croc head is ball-jointed and it's got an articulated jaw, giving him a lot more poseability than you'd expect from such an alt-mode. It makes the beast mode a lot of fun to mess around with, so this configuration is definitely the star of the show.

But like the original, he doesn't really have a cockpit for his partner (though at least he stores him inside a box in his torso rather than swallowing him like the G1 figure did). So unlike Hardhead (who has both a visible cockpit and a gunner's seat for Titan Masters) with Skullcruncher there's no real motivation to ever transform the little guy, and he feels more like a partsformer than a Headmaster.

So overall, Hardhead is a really good example of how to do Headmasters right, while Skullcruncher is just kinda okayish.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:The way his legs transform really bugs me, though -- not because it doesn't work, but because it reminds me so much of another toy I own and I can't for the life of me figure out which one.
Generations Trailbreaker & Hoist had legs that transformed that way, IIRC.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, I think that's who I was thinking of. As soon as you said that I got flashbacks of transforming them.

I should pull my Trailbreaker out of storage. He was a solid little toy.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Like Warcry I own Skullcruncher and Hardhead! It's like he wants to be me so badly.

Basically I'd agree with all his points, except as well as loose legs my Skullcruncher has trouble keeping one of his claws on.

Slightly baffled by the packaging making more of a thing of the head in the profile on the back than the actual toy. Though Skullcruncher's stand up career must be dying a death if he turns invisible every time he has his head on.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:Like Warcry I own Skullcruncher and Hardhead! It's like he wants to be me so badly.
Pretty sure you're the copycat this time. :)
inflatable dalek wrote:Basically I'd agree with all his points, except as well as loose legs my Skullcruncher has trouble keeping one of his claws on.
Are you sure it's popped on all the way? Mine had a loose claw too, but upon closer inspection the factory just hadn't bothered to push in the two little nubs that are supposed to keep in in place.
inflatable dalek wrote:Slightly baffled by the packaging making more of a thing of the head in the profile on the back than the actual toy. Though Skullcruncher's stand up career must be dying a death if he turns invisible every time he has his head on.
Gotta push that gimmick!

But seriously though, Skullcruncher is a dimwitted, tooth-grinding cannibal and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :glance:
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote:Pretty sure you're the copycat this time. :)
I already had mine when I saw your post, I think it was actually a simultaneous buy (it took me a while to add my own views, I'm a very busy man)!

Are you sure it's popped on all the way? Mine had a loose claw too, but upon closer inspection the factory just hadn't bothered to push in the two little nubs that are supposed to keep in in place.
Every time I pop it in it just pops out again.

Same with Skullcruncher's claw.

But seriously though, Skullcruncher is a dimwitted, tooth-grinding cannibal and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :glance:
Sounds like Peter Kay to me.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Sounds like Peter Kay to me.
The past! Being a kid! D'you remember that? Were you alive when you were younger? There was stuff about in the past wasn't there? When you were younger. Here's a list of some of it! Being a kid, eh? When you were younger? In the past!
inflatable dalek

I really hope that when James wrote Skullcruncher as that sort of comedian ("Phases eh, what was all that about?") it was an intentional piss take rather than him thinking "I want him to be a really good comedian so I'll write him like the best!"
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Speaks volumes that I've still not read MTMTE but still knew exactly what sort of schtick you meant.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:I really hope that when James wrote Skullcruncher as that sort of comedian ("Phases eh, what was all that about?") it was an intentional piss take rather than him thinking "I want him to be a really good comedian so I'll write him like the best!"
You mean as opposed to actually trying his best out of fear of everyone finding out how he's clearly not cut out for standup?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

So thanks to some helpful circumstances I couldn't pass up, I picked up one of those new Fortress Maximus. And of course since I wasn't planning to get one soon, I need to make room for the huge bastard before I can really get him out of the box.

I kind of underestimated how large Fort Max actually is. I knew he'd be about 2 feet tall but it's not something you can really appreciate until one is in front of you.
tfforlife12

Post by tfforlife12 »

Haven't gotten tfs in a while.Maybe i'll treat myself.
Iron Warrior

Post by Iron Warrior »

I picked up Titans Return Galvatron and Scourge today. Galvatron's average at best, but I really like Scourge.
He's got nice articulation and it's cool how another headmaster can 'ride' in his gun.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

RID Scorponok

Cool robot to Scorpion Decepticon dude. Nice dino-botty colours and a fun , lean robot mode with incredible balance. Probably the best looking toy of the RID Warrior Class line-up. Not that that's hard. £14.75 though. Jesus. No wonder I don't buy much these days.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

TR Wheelie: Found a single Wheelie in a mass of Rewinds at the local TRU. The new Legends class is a good size for the little guy. His transformation is complex enough to be fun but not too complex. He also fits a Headmaster inside his driver's compartment without sacrificing anything. Mine pegs together well so that's a plus.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found myself a TR Rewind over the weekend. He's a nice little Legends figure, and his silhouette and deco match the original look pretty well. Tank mode is kind of worthless, but the iPod mode has a surprising amount of detail, including screen icons, a molded on/off button and a headphone jack. Robot mode has decent articulation for the size, too. Overall, not a bad little toy.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote:Tank mode is kind of worthless...
I'd agree with you, but it lets me make puns and dad jokes about him being a "Think Tank" with his Int of 9.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I got the first wave of Titan Masters. Crashbash's dino accessory is great; he's the one least likely to end up riding a Deluxe. Nightbeat's manning Hardhead's shoulder cannon, the red one's in Blurr's sled, and Horri-bull is acting as Skullcruncher's tail-gunner..
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Flimflammery
Protoform

Post by Flimflammery »

Warcry wrote:I found myself a TR Rewind over the weekend. He's a nice little Legends figure, and his silhouette and deco match the original look pretty well. Tank mode is kind of worthless, but the iPod mode has a surprising amount of detail, including screen icons, a molded on/off button and a headphone jack. Robot mode has decent articulation for the size, too. Overall, not a bad little toy.
I just got him as well at TF Nation (alongside a Takara Skids and Generations Trailcutter). Quite cute.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did and foolishly forget you had stored his gun on the side of his arm before transforming from mp3 player to tank; didn't quite snap it, but now have a rather annoyingly bent rifle :nonono: