Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens discussion thread NOW WITH SPOILERS NOW THE FILM IS OUT.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

dura wrote:I want to see Carrie Fish dawn the gold bikini again.
She won't and has stated she felt uncomfortable (or she even down rated hated it) and has reportedly recommended to Daisy Riddley not to let them to do something like that to her.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

No one made Carrie Fisher put on the gold bikini. She did it to further her career.

She knew that if she showed more honey she would get more honey.

She ought to work out and get in shape and squeeze into the same gold bikini. I bet she'll still look hot in it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I think this discussion needs knocking on the head, dura. Leching over women is never attractive. Cyberstrike is probably on the money with this one. I doubt very much that it was done to further her career.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

While Carrie Fisher was indeed attractive in the bikini, it's definitely not my favorite look from the OT. I prefer bad ass Leia in the Hoth outfit toting a blaster pistol and calling Han a nerf herder.

Back on Ep VII topic, I thought she did a great job as General Organa. With the issues she has (bipolar disorder IIRC?) she knocked it out of the park. Firm and to the point, while also warm and caring.

We just started watching this one again, this time with the kids. It's a good movie, but I think it moves a little fast for the young ones. We got up to Maz Kanata's castle before we had to shut it off for bedtime. My kids (5 & 3) did surprisingly well during the rathtar scene, but I think that it was helped by my wife and I chattering a bit through it.

I asked my son who his favorite character so far in the movie was, and he replied with "Luke" (his fave from the other 6). So I replied "Uh, buddy, Luke hasn't shown up yet in this one." "Uuummm. Finn then." Made me smile before reading him some books and putting him to bed. I think he's gonna be kinda sad when Luke shows up for all of 10 seconds and doesn't ignite his lightsaber.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Edited for inappropriate post, which has been saved and noted in the Staff forum. You were asked once in this thread to stop leching. This is strike two.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Also, messaging staff asking if you can be friends and simultaneously insulting them for not wanting a lad's mag tone in a film thread is pretty stupid.

Back to the new film, if anyone's got anything deeper than "phwoar look at that, they're begging for it" level comments.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

What makes you think Kylo-Ren is still alive. It clearly looked like Rey killed him with a light saber which is just retribution for his killing of Han Solo.

It was Princess Leia's fault for telling Han to bring him back, and that there was still good in him. Han's blood is on her hands.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

dura wrote:What makes you think Kylo-Ren is still alive.
I'm guessing it's something to do with the fact he was still alive.

Adam Driver filming the next one at the moment is probably also a minor contributing factor.
dura
Protoform

Post by dura »

Anakin being redeemed after committing mass murder of children does not make sense.

Padmay just dying and orphaning her twins was selfish.

Does this mean I can be redeemed and given a second chance, by removing those strikes against me?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Trying to keep up a pointless argument with staff via private message probably isn't going to end well unless they find it amusing, put it that way.

It's been a very long time since I saw Ep2 but do seem to recall that Padme basically forgets the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfevBIsVG1o bit.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Saw it. Loved it. The new characters were fantastic, there was adventure, movement, nostalgia, a preposterously old Harrison Ford, an organic set-up for fun continuing adventures, effects that didn't look like effects, consistent haircuts...

Rogue One is probably going to be ****ing dreadful and if it's not one of the others will be as Disney'll carpet-bomb us until no-one cares. But for now there's Force Awakens and it's perfect and all is full of love.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

It is good isn't it? I liked it so much I bought the DVD and have watched it a few times over. As someone who is totally indifferent to Star Wars, I've really been sucked in with this film (although not so much as to be bothered rewatching the first six), mainly due to Ray and Finn being so likeable and ace and feeling like proper characters that I might actually give a hoot about, compared to the one-dimensional cyphers everyone else feels to me.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yep, all four new leads were pretty good; Poe got a little squeezed but will probably come into his own a bit more with Han out of the way, Rey's just fantastic without being a shouty Whedon-style new femme cliche and Finn's a great anchor. Kylo Ren came off nicely as well,a new Vader without being a new Vader or something as artless as Darth Maul. The whole tone was just incredible, nostalgic and fresh at the same time and some of the direction was incredible - tracking Finn shooting Stormtroopers while Poe flies overhead bombing them, pow.

Thought most of the oldies showed pretty well, though I was genuinely a little shocked at how old Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher looked and sounded. It used them much better than shoehorning everyone into the prequels and coming up with various convoluted ways of having them not knowing any of the events anyway.

Talking of the prequels like no-one else but me was, what does anyone think of the Sithlord Jar-Jar theory? I don't for a minute think Snoke is going to turn out to be Jar-Jar and even if Disney were that brave the attention the theory's got has probably blown it but the case for his being planned as the big bad of the prequels is incredibly persuasive, especially when you consider that by definition nothing Jar-Jar does in the films is by accident - we're not talking an actor who happens to wave his arms in the background or misses his mark and it gets left in, we're talking an intentional CGI animation.

Personally I think Lucas took it too far, made the character too annoying, too stupid-seeming, too plain primitive-looking and missed the only reveal point that might have deflected criticism (i.e. if it was going to be done a new last scene for Phantom Menace of Palpatine reporting to a shadow-covered deep-voiced Jar-Jar about how their plan was in motion was the only way to do it) for the proposed reveal to save either Jar-Jar or the trilogy but the more you examine the evidence the more it looks like that was the intention.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I do think it's a shame TFA went so heavily with the original film homages, I remember people at the time going "Well it has to because it's the first one, but all the others will be new and fresh!", but it basically leaves Rouge One--a film that seems to be based entirely on love letters to the original trilogy--nowhere to go. I mean, it's got the actual Death Star instead of a Bigger Death Star but other than Vadar himself it feels like TFA touched all those bases more than enough.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Rouge One
That's Red Dwarf, fool.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:That's Red Dwarf, fool.
Maybe I'm complaining about the safe rehashing of old Star Wars ideas in the Red Dwarf promotional material?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, sorry, my bad, that's blatantly what you were doing...
tfforlife12

Post by tfforlife12 »

Let's all face it these star wars spinoffs will be terrible.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Longer thoughts after reading:

- Didn't mind Kylo Ren as much as many do; he's clearly a decoy or pawn villain similar to Darth Maul rather than the bad guy; felt they did a good job of showing him as a Vader fanboy with a lot to learn. The impression I got was that the First Order had been enjoying an easy little start with no Jedi on the board, several key rebel figures out of the way and so on; The Force Awakens was their first serious test and Ren comes out of the film stronger for resolving his immediate issues and what seems to be his first real force battle. I think he's going to be a lot easier to appreciate when we've seen his whole arc and the film did a good job of leaving him open to either path; he's not beyond redemption but he's also got plenty of scope to become the big wheel of the dark side. Considering that the first line on the character sheet was almost certainly "DON'T JUST MAKE HIM ANOTHER VADER WE'LL GET DESTROYED" he was a passable villain; I'd agree he probably would have benefitted from stronger support though with a mean Tarkin-style superior who could be the nominal bad guy of the film and get killed off at the end - but then that might have been far too close to Vader. Bit of a damned either way; seems to be TFA chose to take one for the team by laying the foundations.

- Same with Finn; found his breakdown quite plausible within the context of the First Order, a phoenix from the Empire and thus still flawed; considering their losses in the OT and the move away from Clones there's plenty of scope there and I felt his character was nice and realistic - moments of idealism giving him courage then moments of "holy **** I'm out of my depth". Again, think we're going to appreciate him more after the three films.

- Despite my dislike of them as films I'm glad they acknowledged the prequels a bit. They're out now and on paper make a decent-ish backstory, just the execution sucked and a lot of the material simply didn't make for exciting movies, especially when directed by someone who hadn't made a film for a couple of decades, was arrogant and was over-reliant on effects which weren't up to scratch. The broad strokes were good - we get big big hints in the original that Obi-Wan was flawed and guilty, for instance.

- Turns out Carrie Fisher wasn't hamming it up for that Big Bang Theory cameo. It was a little bit of a shame to see Leia reduced to Team Mom however when Han's out there still shooting the **** out of people; while the moment's probably gone it'd be nice to see her back in the field rather than entirely as a general.

- Loved Poe; he fills that Wedge gap of 'normal not-Jedi rebel who isn't cannon fodder' and has a lot more scope. Apparently they asked Denis Lawson to come back and he said no as it'd be boring, which is actually kind-of cool.

- Really would love to have known more about von Sydow's character, a genuine adventurer with apparently no real powers and resources beyond his own wits but still taking on the First Order.

- Felt the final scene was nailed perfectly; we still know so little of why Luke went and there's a massive amount of ambiguity in there that lent a wonderful note of discord to the last scene. We were expecting a baton pass or a Yoda reference, what we actually got was much more interesting. Best bit of acting Hamill's ever done.

- Abrams overall found a good mix of doing stuff we knew was going to happen, doing the opposite of stuff we were expecting to happen and going his own way. And Rian Johnson for the second, golly gosh!

- Felt C3PO was great, jibbering about his arm and twattering away during Han and Leia's big scene; I get why he's not everyone' cup of tea but the difference with him and R2 has always been they're not actually in it that much.

- Loved things like the Ackbar and Nieb Nub cameos; just there in the background being familiar in exactly the place you'd expect them to be rather than the "HEY LOOK AT THIS" SE/prequel cameos.

- #wewantlando
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I'll say I greatly enjoyed the movie, though I couldn't help but feel a slight niggling on the back of my head that reminded me of a similar storyline from the now non-canon Expanded Universe books involving the Solo Twins, whom Kylo very much fills in the role of Jacen, as another Skywalker being tempted by the dark side and starting a war. Granted Jacen had literal decades of development and was a much different overall character but the similarities are still there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2