How to catalogue your film collection?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

How to catalogue your film collection?

Post by Auntie Slag »

In the last few years I went a bit free & easy with lending people stuff and I've since realised how stupid that is.

I've got stacks of DVD's and hopefully there's a decent piece of software that can catalogue them complete with synopsis, screenshots, trailers etc. I've tried looking on-line but I can't find anything that looks definitive.

Does anyone have something like this? I don't mind if its on-line only, but a nice desktop program would be cool. I think I've lost quite a few films lately!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Letterboxd is a good online resource for logging what you've seen, and the list function is dead easy to use so might work for what you're after.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Cool, thanks. This is the one that Cliffjumper uses. I've just signed up and will start adding!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

You know, there was a DVD cataloging software - like something you actually installed on your desktop and I think it had an online capability as well - but I quickly dropped it, probably because of what a pain it was to add new titles, and sometimes it wouldn't have the exact release. If I remember correctly, you could add them through the UPN code on the case; you could also search titles, but there was no way to tell which one was which - like was it a special edition, regular release, country of release, etc.

My computer back then was hardly state of the art too and I think it was kind of a resource hog. I just wish I could remember what it was called.

Such as it is, I use dvdaf.com and blu-ray.com to catalog my collections.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Thanks Tetsuro. Does dvdaf.com allow you to add TV series as well? I'm entering things into Letterboxd and it doesn't recognise TV programmes, and I have quite a few of these, as well as one-offs like BBC Nature programmes.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well it lets you add TV series box sets, but it has none of those other features you mentioned like synopsis, cast, etc. and it's got an even worse case of "not exact release" than that app I mentioned. It IS, however, ridicilously easy to use, thanks to actually being able to see the freakin' cover art. And I'm pretty sure that as a Brit, your local releases are far better covered than mine - but they still lack some, like the cardboard "Full Journey" box sets of Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

blu-ray.com does have all those features but like the name implies, it doesn't cover DVDs.

For what it's worth, here's mine. You can create custom subcategories, too.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Cool, thank you :)
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Auntie Slag wrote:I'm entering things into Letterboxd and it doesn't recognise TV programmes, and I have quite a few of these, as well as one-offs like BBC Nature programmes.
Ay, sorry. Thought you were just after films.

MAKE A SPREADSHEET, SPREADSHEETS ARE COOL.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Its a bit annoying. It'll recognise some TV series, like Edge of Darkness just fine, but it has no record of Black Books, or Bottom.

I'd have thought with TV series being so popular these days (the so-called boxset binges) of things like The Killing, or Borgen that they would have that covered.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

It seems to treat mini series/tv movies as acceptable content, but ignores multi season episodic stuff.

So Band of Brothers is in there, as are Doctor Who specials (and a lot of older serials, as they're frequently re-edited for broadcast in one chunk), etc etc.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Dang, I wonder if there's a way to list/archive everything?

On a side note, after putting it on Letterboxd I watched the trailer for Revenge of the Fallen, and it makes it look like the most EXCITING film in the world.

Thumbs up to the truly skilled people responsible, that is how you make a truly awesome trailer! :smokin: