Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I keep trying to comment on this, but I just can't. I can't even.

What the **** is there to be said at this point?

HIDE YO KIDS HIDE YO WIFE.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I guess you could ask why the European press (and even some of the American ones) seem to be ignoring stuff like this and this.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The man has Shredded Wheat for hair. I can't take anything that drops out of his mouth seriously.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tetsuro wrote:I guess you could ask why the European press (and even some of the American ones) seem to be ignoring stuff like this and this.
True, although it's difficult to trust anything said owing to incoherence and electioneering. Seems to be more a demagogue than anything else.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

I just found out last night while watching Monday night football that there is a new transformers in the making what are your guys thoughts and opinions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

G1Optimusprime9 wrote:I just found out last night while watching Monday night football that there is a new transformers in the making what are your guys thoughts and opinions?
What's a Transformer?
I like bears.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

your thoughts on the new movie?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hound

Post by Hound »

The managers at my work have put the music on Christmas tunes, presumably because they are obligated to, but they've turned the volume down where you can barely make it out. Which is a bummer as I like Christmas time and much of the music that accompanies the season.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

oh really that's a bummer yeah theres been Christmas music on since before thanksgiving here
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Denyer wrote:True, although it's difficult to trust anything said owing to incoherence and electioneering. Seems to be more a demagogue than anything else.
At this point, I feel inclined to distrust both the media AND Trump - the former because it seems most European media's sources in the US are biased, and the latter because, well, when should I believe him - when he waves a rainbow flag, or when he appoints who I'm pretty sure is an actual white supremacist as his chief strategist?

Plus then there's individuals who are even less reliable, like the ones who made up stories about being assaulted by Trump supporters, or the last "attack" on the earlier link I posted where the photos were actually from some Canadian filmmaker showing off his SFX work (plus I'm pretty sure I recall someone else having used those same photos to depict another made up assault in the past).

Unfortunately, this leaves me in the position where I apparently can't trust anyone. It's like some kind of a weird conspiracy theorist nightmare but a lot less outlandish and probably a lot more boring, too.
Sades

Post by Sades »

So I bought a Galaxy "smooth milk" bar from a Bulk Barn today because the person I was with said "Oh, they're so good, you can't get them here" etc etc and I thought "Oh, fine, I'll try it." I was not surprised to find out that it just tastes like ****ing chocolate. It IS pretty smooth. That was no lie. but... still, chocolate.

Why do people think everything British is magic over here? Damn you, Doctor Who. I need a very firm, very annoying disillusionment team to visit my country, stat.

Also, do you have Jell-O? I was informed you don't have Jell-O. Does anyone want some Jell-O? I say that, but I'll never ship it.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

We call it jelly I think (I can't think what Jell-O might be if not jelly. I don't want ti know).

And Galaxy chocolate is well posh.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, we have jello, but not the brand Jell-O. We just call it jelly.

Whereas I think North Americans use the word "jelly" for what we call "jam"?
I need a very firm, very annoying disillusionment team to visit my country, stat.
Look, we already sent Piers Morgan, James Corden and Nigel Farage to the States, there's nobody free right now unless you want Katie Hopkins.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I've never (well, rarely) called it jelly, I usually call it jam. "Jelly" can mean either" jam" or "jello" around here, which somehow has never gotten as confusing as it sounds. Probably because whenever jello is called jelly it's usually in reference to movement, in my experience- "Shaking like a bowlful of jelly" will never be misunderstood. "Can you pass me the jelly powder?" also, obviously. But when jam is called jelly, it's usually in reference to a PB&J sandwich (which is also the only time I have called jam "jelly", though it's usually jam even then).

But yeah, blanket term for all fruity flavoured wiggly gelatin product (for me and most people I've talked to) is usually jello. Except when it's not. :p
Brendocon 2.0 wrote: Look, we already sent Piers Morgan, James Corden and Nigel Farage to the States, there's nobody free right now unless you want Katie Hopkins.
But they're entertainment people. That won't do. I need more like your everyday run-of-the-mill annoying person. I need, like, a herd of them.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If I understand it correctly, when used in the context of spreads "jam" has solid bits of fruit in it and "jelly" does not.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:If I understand it correctly, when used in the context of spreads "jam" has solid bits of fruit in it and "jelly" does not.
This too. I had this bit in but deleted it because my post was already confusing/long. Sort of a "less fruity" jam. But the blanket term is usually just "jam", in my experience.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

That makes sense. It's always the "Peanut Butter and" thing that's led me to think it's used as a blanket term over there. Even though I've also heard the term jam used on the American televisions.

Though I personally would never expect jelly to be used as a spread. Maybe that's a cultural thing.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Related: my mum referred to it as "peanut butter and jelly" on the phone with the small one and the small one (who hasn't heard the term "jelly" used in reference to jam) thought she meant this rainbow gelatin product with bits of fruit in it that we buy as a treat at the grocery store. She thought this sounded like a TERRIFIC sandwich.

On another note, going to see Star Wars movie today, woo.

edit: So today I opened the cupboard discovered the piece of Biscotti I bought from the coffeeshop I stopped at after Rogue One... for the third time. I've managed to find, then forget about it two other times aside from today since I bought it.

This time, I considered putting it back to discover again because I was so happy to find it (Biscotti is fave) the other two times that I wanted to experience that again. :lol:
Sades

Post by Sades »

I TRIED TO AVOID THE DOUBLE POST BUT OH WELL YES THE CAPS WERE NECESSARY

My MP3 player is full of stuff I'm bored with and I can only revisit the 80's/90's/Old Eurovision stuff so many times. Any music recommendations? Pretty much anything goes. Piano stuff is lovely, uptempo pop/fast, heavy, throbbing stuff appreciated as well as I need new workout music. :swirly: :swirly:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've really been enjoying Charli XCX's last album 'Sucker' which I picked up last week. Not had it off the old stereo system since. Its brash modern pop music. Chrvches last one 'Every Open Eye' is similarly quite a funky dance work out, which makes a change from the moping on their debut.

I've also been revisiting the B-52's - 'Moon83' off of 'Whammy!' might be my favourite of theirs. Would love to dance to this...oh, look! I am!