[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

SNORLAX
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I've been playing the remastered Skyrim so I decided to build a steel helmet.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Wario World: The Shake Dimension on Wii. Got it because I used to have Wario Land on the Gamecube, and quite enjoyed the Wario Games on the original Gameboy.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an NES Classic Edition when Target had a brief pre-order going online. It came in the mail on Thursday and I was able to tinker with it quite a bit over the weekend. What a fun little box! It's tiny, but well made. I must have played for a handful of hours, but it's so fun to swap between games quickly. All the games have 4 suspend points each to save to, so I could save progress easily. I think I played 27 of the 30 pre-loaded games; Metroid, Zelda II, and Mario 2 I didn't get around to.

The only drawbacks are that I couldn't get my hands on a matching second controller (no real problem though, as my Wii's Classic controllers work just fine) and all the supplied cords are short. The HDMI and the USB power cord are only ~4 ft (1.2 m) long, and the controller cord is under 3 ft (0.9 m). I think I'll be investing in a longer HDMI and USB extension in the near future. It's either that, or wait until I can get some 6 ft controller extensions at a later date.

Otherwise, the wife and kids were gone for the weekend, so I was also knocking out some Twilight Princess HD. Made it through the Snowpeak Ruins. Getting closer and closer to finishing this one off.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:SNORLAX
JELLY DOUGHNUT
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Finally caught a ****ing Pikachu. Yas?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Subjective? I like it. It's yellow, I like yellow.

I enjoy the daily catch/pokestop bonuses, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be so keen on them when it's -30 outside.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:I enjoy the daily catch/pokestop bonuses, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be so keen on them when it's -30 outside.
It's a nice addition. Obviously having a pokestop accessible while I'm in bed is helpful in this regard.

What isn't a nice addition is that stuff from gyms now shows up in the "seen" part of the Pokédex. Which sort of makes sense, but skews the figures a bit.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We can sometimes get the stop that is about two blocks away if we minimise the app and then bring it up again as that sends the little avatar running off in a random direction, so that's nice.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:What isn't a nice addition is that stuff from gyms now shows up in the "seen" part of the Pokédex. Which sort of makes sense, but skews the figures a bit.

Ah, see I like that. Because I'm lazy/don't have the time to devote to filling out my Pokedex, plus it means when spoofers throw a Farfetch'd or Mr. Mime in, and I look at it, then I "have" it on my game. I'll take it.

I'm not crazy about the fact that that they removed my ability to get stops while riding the bus, though.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Yeah the speed limits are really pissing me off as don't really have the time to devote to this game unless I play while traveling back and forth to work. Still I'm managing to get some pokestops, catch quite a bit of pokemon from my living room in the evenings and fight a gym enough to get that bonus every day.

TBH I'm really just tired of all the difficulties Niantic has added to the game and I just want to stop with this game but I'm really close to getting all of the pokemon that I feel like I can't quit yet.

I've caught 128, seen 140. So close...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Hound wrote:I'm really close to getting all of the pokemon
Read somewhere the other day that they're planning to unleash the second generation/deck/whatever by the end of the year...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Not a game playing or game acquisition post at all...

But I got my hands on a Wii U Pro Controller yesterday from a local used shop. I had previous trade-in credit so it didn't cost a dime. It's the Pearl White color whereas my system is black, but it's still really nice. For a used controller it's in immaculate condition. The sticks aren't yellowed at all and there isn't a scuff on it anywhere.

It's one of the more comfortable controllers I have played with, but I don't think it quite beats out the PS4 Dualshock, IMO. But it's lightweight and fits in my hands really well. Not 100% used to the button layout yet, as both sticks are up high on the controller, so it puts the ABYX buttons in a funky spot compared to your thumb. Shouldn't take long to get used to. I think I'll find it fun to use for games that don't use the Gamepad screen (like Mario Kart 8). Overall, I'm really happy to finally have one in my collection!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've started on Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - Just started, so not too far in. It's okay so far but can be annoying since I'm trying to be as stealthy as possible.
Destruction is my specialty
Hound

Post by Hound »

I caught two Porygon while we were out yesterday. Now I just need Tauros, Chansey, Aerodactyl and Snorlax to complete the available Pokedex.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been on a retro gaming kick lately with the NES Classic Edition. And to combat the ridiculously short cords on the controllers, I ordered a couple 6 ft extensions from GameStop. Not too shabby, even though they're made by Nyko. Was almost angry when they arrived, as they had the clear plastic hook for the Wii Remote strap, which would hinder plugging in two of them. Luckily, Nyko packed two screws in the box to remove the hook and place the smaller screws in. Problem solved!

And on that note, I've really been hankering for some Sega Genesis love. So I worked my way into the Wii Shop channel and spent a few bucks on Sonic 1, Sonic 3, Kid Chameleon, and Shinobi 3 (and one SNES title, Super Empire Strikes Back). All great titles to have on the VC.
Hound

Post by Hound »

We bought Pokemon Sun
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Corpse Party - Downloaded from the eShop. I like this game so far, although I'm wondering if watching the movie and the first episode of the anime might have spoiled things for me a bit. It feels a bit like what I've seen of Sweet Home. I'm guessing the goal is to get everybody out alive, or as many as possible.

Metal Slug: Anthology - As PSN is having their anniversary sale, I grabbed it. I love Metal Slug.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:We bought Pokemon Sun
I've barely played, just to save you time asking when I get back. :/ It's interesting so far, though. Mind, I'm comparing it to Yellow in my head, and that's hardly useful. It just makes me feel old.

I caught a Ditto! Yay!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:I caught a Ditto! Yay!
What was it hiding as? I didn't know he'd been released until I saw one in a gym. Now I'm back to trying to catch EVERYTHING, which is annoying as I'm scrabbling around for pokeballs and my local stops are being really stingy at the moment.

Visited a different city today and got to do plenty of wandering around (glitchy GPS put LOADS of kilometers on mah eggs). I'd never even encountered a Jynx beforehand and now I have three of them.

Caught plenty of Nidoran, some Geodudes, Bellsprouts and even a Seel (which seem disproportionately rarer than the other water stuff). Oh and another Vulpix. Slowly crawling towards being able to get final evolutions on those lines.

Plenty of stuff I'd not seen before in their local gyms, too - including Chansey, Porygon and even a Tauros. Which assuming somebody isn't cheating is the first evidence I've seen that you can actually hatch the region exclusive stuff in other parts of the world...
Sades

Post by Sades »

It was a Pidgey. Yeah, I spent two days throwing balls (most of which I bought *coughNianticareevilandIamweak*) at everything that moved before I finally got lucky. A friend of Hound's said something about them hiding as Commons only, so far we've seen nothing to disprove that. Though... I don't know how true it is, but I read that Ditto can also hide as Snorlax. If true, that's just straight-up trolling. I would be so crushed if the first Snorlax I managed to catch turned into a ****ing Ditto on me. :lol:

AFAIK Niantic confirmed on their Twitter (iirc source) that regionals can't be hatched unless the egg came from a region with those specific Pokemon. So probs someone's been to the region to catch one or, yeah, they've been cheating.

YAY DOUBLE STARDUST AND XP. \o/