[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Mass Effect 3 on my Xbox One.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Seel [...] Slowly crawling towards being able to get final evolutions on those lines
8 candies away from being able to do an evolve and what do I catch today? A Dewgong.

Yesterday I caught my first Omanyte. Today my 10km egg hatches (only egg I've got on the go because of an incubator shortage atm) and what is it? Yeah. An Omanyte.

I feel like the game is trolling me.
Sades

Post by Sades »

IT'S SO FLUFFYYYYYYYY
Attachments
1.png
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been tinkering a lot with my NES Mini, and playing through Metroid. I owned this one waaaaay back as a kid and had no idea where to go, what to do, etc. Now with maps and tips (from the Playing with Power book) I was able to finish this game. I believe I picked up all the items around. What a cool game, and I'm glad I had the chance to finally beat this one!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Picked up Gears Of War 4 Ultimate Edition.
Destruction is my specialty
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:IT'S SO FLUFFYYYYYYYY
:up:

I have five Dittos. I'm over it now. Cute though.

Hatched a Lickitung. That thing is seriously disturbing.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Had an open Friday night so I messed with a bunch of different things:

Booted up the old 360 an knocked out a couple quick achievements. Not that I'm an achievement/trophy hunter, but simply to push my GamerScore over 10,000. Been sitting at >9,900 for quite some time, and I'm planning on getting rid of my 360 in the very near future. Now I can do so without regret!

Otherwise, I picked around a bit with Shinobi 3, Tecmo Bowl, Ninja Gaiden, Castevania, Super C, and Mario 2. Oh, and Ghosts n' Goblins... which I really suck at. Badly.

And while I've been retro-ing it up lately, I picked up Super Mario Land (GB) on the 3DS VC. It's a fun little game that I've already (for the first time!) finished since buying it yesterday. I was surprised that it only went through 4 worlds, but it was an early GB game, and it's fun to play on the go. Pretty much worth the $4 for a short retro Mario title. I think I'm going to focus on Metroid II now.

Oh, and my 30th Anniversary Zelda amiibo all came in on Friday. Absolutely beautiful figures, just wish they actually did more.
Sades

Post by Sades »

SANTA HAT MOTHER LOVING PIKACHUS!

It seems lame, but it's secretly awesome. I'm fairly certain that if you get enough of them, you can turn them into gold.

PIKALCHEMY
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Pokemon X - This was actually a Christmas gift from from my Dad.

On Deus Ex, I'm making a return trip to Shanghai tracking down some missing co-workers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I have so many Santa Hat Pikachu now. I'm well on my way to a Santa Hat Raichu.

Apparently I almost got this for Christmas, but it was decided against because it ships in January or something. SADFACE. But I really can't complain because I got some awesome stuff, the only item of which is relevant to a post about Pokemon is this Pikachu Bento Box.

I was so pissed off when my 10 KM egg hatched a ****ing Elekid. On the flipside, my 2 KM egg hatched a Cleffa and it's adorable. So I guess that balanced things out.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Stella Glow- Thanks to my boss' generosity, I was able to get this game that I've wanted to get for a while. It's fun, especially now that I've gone through the part I'd hit through multiple unintentional playthroughs of the demo. I really need to remember to keep turning the wifi off when I'm not using it.

And out of sheer blind luck.......

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary - for the NES. I think the Game Boy one is better- more exploration type stuff- but this one is pretty fun.

Batman: Return of the Joker - for the Game Boy. It's pretty good, although the controls are a bit sloppy.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:I have so many Santa Hat Pikachu now. I'm well on my way to a Santa Hat Raichu.
I have a Santa Raichu.

I also have another Snorlax now, which is all good and well but I want my ****ing Lapras.
I was so pissed off when my 10 KM egg hatched a ****ing Elekid. On the flipside, my 2 KM egg hatched a Cleffa and it's adorable. So I guess that balanced things out.
The only gen2 (what's the terminology here?) I've hatched so far is an Igglybuf. A Cleffa would be useful as I've encountered precisely one Clefairy in all my time playing, so have had to resort to walking it for candy. Still zero Exeggcutes, as well. :(

Though it is nice to be able to catch the starters in the wild (aside from my opening Bulbasaur and the occasional Squirtle, all mine have been from eggs), even if the catch-difficulty rating is absolutely nuts for their comparative CP. I has a Blastoise now.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I have a Santa Raichu.

I also have another Snorlax now, which is all good and well but I want my ****ing Lapras.
I saw a Santa Raichu outside our apartment before the holiday but it ran. I've just evolved myself one, though, so yay! I now have a regular one, and one that thinks it's people.

I was hoping that 10 km egg was my Lapras, it is the last one I need that can be hatched from the 10 km eggs (Our local park was spawning Omanyte last month, I was so excited and I managed to catch 4-5 in less than an hour). But shock and surprise, it were not happening.

The only gen2 (what's the terminology here?) I've hatched so far is an Igglybuf. A Cleffa would be useful as I've encountered precisely one Clefairy in all my time playing, so have had to resort to walking it for candy. Still zero Exeggcutes, as well. :(
Gen 2, yeah. I've got Pichu, Cleffa, Elekid. So want a Togepi!

This place was dropping Exeggcutes almost all summer fall. It was fantastic. My Exeggutor is a beast now, it was my go-to gym Pokemon until Mr. Fatfat (Snorlax) came along.

Your Clefairy=Chansey for us. I don't remember how I caught the one I have, but I've forgotten I already have one at least twice now. I still keep an eye out for them, because I still have hope that they somehow find a way to make trading happen and Hound has had zero luck finding Chansey.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Though it is nice to be able to catch the starters in the wild (aside from my opening Bulbasaur and the occasional Squirtle, all mine have been from eggs), even if the catch-difficulty rating is absolutely nuts for their comparative CP. I has a Blastoise now.
Yeah, it is definitely that, though I'm only halfway to all three due to a cold keeping me mostly indoors this week. The amount of third evolutions spawning was apparently increased as well; while I'll catch all the base forms I can, I definitely would not mind skipping over having to evolve up to Blastoise, etc by catching third evolutions somewhere out there. Once this cold is gone my mini-me and I are bundling up and heading out or finding somewhere warm to hunt.

Edit: In non-pokemon news, I now have Sims 4 courtesy of in-law Christmas money and a friend surprised me with Ark: Survival Evolved yesterday. So while I may be sick, at least I am amply entertained.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Sades wrote:Your Clefairy=Chansey for us. I don't remember how I caught the one I have, but I've forgotten I already have one at least twice now. I still keep an eye out for them, because I still have hope that they somehow find a way to make trading happen and Hound has had zero luck finding Chansey.
I only recently got a Chansey, out of a 5km egg. The G2 stuff is ****ing up my egg game already. Another miniPuff now.
Yeah, it is definitely that, though I'm only halfway to all three due to a cold keeping me mostly indoors this week. The amount of third evolutions spawning was apparently increased as well; while I'll catch all the base forms I can, I definitely would not mind skipping over having to evolve up to Blastoise, etc by catching third evolutions somewhere out there.
I just caught a 917 Charizard in the wild, so I'm a happy bunny. Didn't have any ultra balls and it broke free twice, but I got the ****er eventually.

Just need 24 more Bulbasaur candies to evolve a Venusaur now. And worst case scenario I can walk the bugger.
Once this cold is gone my mini-me and I are bundling up and heading out or finding somewhere warm to hunt.
I'm still bitter about being ill for most of the Halloween double candy/stardust extravaganza. Okay I managed to evolve a Gengar and Marowak without leaving my home, but there was so much gainz to be had. :(

[EDIT] Oh! And one of my 10km just hatched while I was on the sofa - another Omanyte, which means I now have the Omastar, which sounds like it should be the magical macguffin from an 80s sci fi cartoon.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote: Just need 24 more Bulbasaur candies to evolve a Venusaur now. And worst case scenario I can walk the bugger.
Sweet. :up:
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I'm still bitter about being ill for most of the Halloween double candy/stardust extravaganza. Okay I managed to evolve a Gengar and Marowak without leaving my home, but there was so much gainz to be had. :(
I know right? Hound came in today and said he thinks the free incubator thing was over, and that makes me a bit sad (if true, he only spun one stop so maybe he just missed it?). I'm still a bit sick but I'm probably going to the mall tomorrow. I needs me some starters, damn it!
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:[EDIT] Oh! And one of my 10km just hatched while I was on the sofa - another Omanyte, which means I now have the Omastar, which sounds like it should be the magical macguffin from an 80s sci fi cartoon.
Lord Helix!:o

I think I might have enough candy to evolve one, but I'm not sure... I was saving all of my evolves in case Christmas turned into another double candy/xp event and just never got around to doing anything with them when it turned out it wasn't. Kinda want to keep one as Omanyte, though, he's a cute little thing.

edit: VENUSAUR. I didn't even realise I was that close.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Wow, I really haven't played much in the past month with Christmas pandemonium taking place. The only stuff I've been able to muster is an hour or so of Diablo 3 on PS4 with my buddy over New Years, and a couple hours of Dead Island Definitive Edition on the PSN with a different buddy.

Diablo 3 is, well, Diablo 3. Fun to pick up and play.

Dead Island is fun, more my buddy's thing than mine. It's kinda cool for what it is: a Zombie masher with RPG elements. Camera action made me motion sick after a while though.

Otherwise, I picked up Zelda: ALTTP on the new 3DS. One of my all-time faves and it was on discount because of My Nintendo Rewards. Already made it to the Dark World, the Swamp Dungeon. :)

No Pokemon for me, abandoned Go a long time ago. :P

EDIT: And looking at my signature below, I forgot I played Lords of the Fallen for about 30 minutes and then promptly gave up. Got 3 trophies on it though!
Sades

Post by Sades »

ERMAHGERD ARK IS AMAZING. I managed to find a good server and I quite enjoy it. It's like Minecraft with less mining and mildly-innacurate-by-science Dinosaurs instead of monsters, sheep, etc.

I managed to reach level 7 or so before I was deaded by a Dilophosaurus. A JP-style one, at that. Spat in my face then ate me. :( And when I had just started some dude riding a Tyrannosaurus gave me food. That ****er was YUGE. I have a new game goal now.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I play Eve Online. At 8pm on New Years Day, I logged in to take part in a massive battle that, if memory serves, eventually saw 3,000 people shooting each other in internet spaceships. I finally managed to get myself logged off at 4am, having been in the battle since, ooh, 9pm or so
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I've done a lot of gaming lately! Replaying stuff that's a few years old, though.

Between October and December I did a run-through of the three Arkham games on the Xbox 360. Asylum remains my favourite, I think, though it definitely suffers from a less-robust combat engine than the subsequent games. I kept reflexively trying to pull off moves that would have worked in City and Origins, only for nothing to happen and Batman to get punched repeatedly by six goons as I tried to recover. But the game has a very strong story and fantastic level design, something that I can't really say about the other two.

Arkham City honestly barely even feels like a sequel to Asylum. The entire focus of the gameplay changed from exploring a small area progressively more and more deeply to charging across an open world -- from the depth of Metroid to the breadth of Assassin's Creed. I'm not entirely sure the change was for the better. The overworld isn't especially interesting, and you spend most of your time dodging tedious mobs of thugs so that they don't bug you while you're collecting Riddler trophies. And the "dungeon" levels aren't as deep or interesting as the ones in Asylum, probably because the developers spent most of their time designing the city itself. The story wasn't particularly coherent either, serving mostly as an excuse to squeeze in as many of Batman's familiar rogues as possible.

Arkham Origins is an odd game. It's buggy, and it takes the worst part of City (the drab overworld), makes it feel even more empty and gives you even fewer reasons to want to go out and do anything in it. But I still like it quite a bit more! Part of that is the story, as the whole Black Mask/Joker/Assassins plot is straightforward and gives everyone a reasonable motivation for what they're doing. The level design is also a lot more interesting and feels like it has more depth to it. And the game actually has really good boss fights, something that (aside from Mr. Freeze in City) was entirely missing in the previous two games. I enjoy some of them so much that when my game froze right after I'd beaten Deathstroke I was happy because it meant I got to fight him again!

Fittingly, I finished the replay right around Christmas.

After that, I took a holiday run through Dishonored, which I'd been meaning to do for a while. The game could best be described as "Deus Ex with witchcraft", set in an alternate world where magic whale oil powered an industrial revolution. I got the game for Christmas two years back and played it through once, but since I didn't quite understand the "Chaos" system right off the bat I wound up dooming myself to the evil ending by killing everyone in sight in the first few levels. So this time around I tried to do a stealth playthrough killing as few people as possible to try and get the good, low-chaos ending. And so I did! I'm pretty sure I only racked up six kills the whole way through. There was a prison guard in the very first level who caught me hiding another guard I'd KOed and a watch officer who I just couldn't escape from after hiding another body (this one, a dude I'd drugged and kidnapped so that he couldn't be assassinated by someone else). Plus a plague victim who jumped out at me from nowhere and wouldn't stop chewing on my arm until I put a sword through them. The others were magic teleporting assassins who I ran into early on when my Outsider powers weren't strong enough to magic my way through, and I didn't have any sleep darts left to drug them with.

Now that I'm more familiar with the stealth options I'm actually pretty sure I could have gone through the whole game with zero kills, but that's a challenge for another day. Well, that or doing a 100% evil playthrough where I sadistically stab, shoot or feed to summoned plague rats every enemy I encounter. That sounds like fun too. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut.
It's a stealth game like the Metal gears series and Dishonored.
It's rather good, but did miss a few trophies that I probably won't ever get.

Also, I bought Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Legacy Pro Edition while it was on Christmas holiday discount.