Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Watched Finding Dory with the small one this eve. Very good film, it was a little predictable but enjoyable. OMG BABY DORY IS SO SQUISHY. I <3 Hank.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

THIS IS BOTH A DVD AND A FILM WHICH THREAD DOES IT GO IN!!!???

Hmm. Soylent Green. The ending is much more subdued than you'd expect from all the spoofs (Chuck is bleeding to death so there's no overthrowing of tables and running about), but it's still a good solid little environmental thriller. And set bang in the middle of Trump's second term as well, so more prophetic than it might seem.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Watched the live action Lundgren/Langella MotU movie this week. Cheesy fun, even if the ending is a half-arsed rush job. Okay they spent the entire action budget on sets and costumes, but holy **** they went all out on the sets and costumes. It's tonally massively removed from the cartoon, but at least they didn't make it into a shit comedy.

Langella is clearly having an absolute ball. It's a shame Lundgren decided to base his performance on the toy though.

My brain did collapse in a little bit when Skeletor screamed "and you no longer exist" about ten years before DiTillio & Forward would recycle the line for Beast Wars. This movie is not written by DiTillio or Forward, though it was a bit surreal given their connection to both franchises.
inflatable dalek

It looks surprisingly good on blu ray. It just shows what you can do with no money if everyone involved is determined to fully throw themselves into it (I'm sure Dolph is at least trying).

And Langella is fantastic, I genuinely think it's one of the great kids film's villains performances and it so deserves to be in a better known film. Meg Foster is great as well.

I'm not sure why Mr. Strickland changed his name and became a cop though.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, Foster's great in it too. It's nice that everyone involved took it seriously. I was concerned with how badly it would have aged given I've not seen it since probably about 1989, but it stands up fairly well.

Still bizarre how far removed it is from the source in terms of style. She-Ra only aired its last episode eight months before this was released. At least Bay waited about 20 years before doing his "grown up" take on Transformers.

Wasn't aware it was out on blu ray. It aired at a local film festival this year where one of the selling points was films that don't have HD transfers. Though my DVD copy looked fine on its own (bad inkjet-quality sleeve aside), so it must just be a good quality original print.
inflatable dalek

Not in this country sadly, but I have the German blu. I think there's an American one as well with the surprisingly fun DVD director's commentary, but that was a tad expensive.

When talking about it on twitter when I watched it people mentioned a lot of the differences were down to Canon having bought the rights before the cartoon and thus only owning stuff from the original toy pack in stuff (so no Prince Adam for example). Of course, things like Orko are presumably down to the budget, creating a new midget character was probably easier than using a flying rig all the time. though it's a perhanps surprising sign of fidelity they didn't just call the new guy Orko anyway.

Oh, and fun fact, because Michael Westmore did the makeup for both, the Skeletor costume is in several episodes of Star Trek as one of Worf's holodeck monsters.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:When talking about it on twitter when I watched it people mentioned a lot of the differences were down to Canon having bought the rights before the cartoon and thus only owning stuff from the original toy pack in stuff (so no Prince Adam for example).
That's plausible. Though fair play for doing their own [Kirby-esque] thing with it rather than trying to ape something they've only got part of the rights for. It's nice that they leaned more into the sci-fi aspect than the swords/sorcery setting - probably easier to do with practical effects.

And yeah I did read somewhere that Gwildor was a sub for Orko because they couldn't do a floating character. There's some scenes with people flying about on sky sleds but it looks really cheap and it's only literally a couple of shots. The logistics of having one of the primary cast done in that style would have just been impractical.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Watched the extended cut of Rambo (2008). If it wasn't for the gratuitous use of CGI gore, I could easily say it's more brutal than Cannibal Holocaust, what with the impaling of small children, people exploding left and right, and all the casual bloodshed - just, without any real animal deaths.

Either way, it was still a lot better than Rambo III.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Just saw Rogue One. It's definitely in the top 5 Star Wars movies.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

So Passengers is in no way what the trailers made it out to be
SPOILER! (select to read)
Instead of being the story of two people who wake up early on a space flight, it's the story of one guy who wakes up early on a space flight, then spends months fantasising about one of the sleeping female passengers before deciding to wake her up so he's got some company. Despite knowing that they'll both die before they reach their planned destination.

So essentially it's about a guy who stalks a woman he's never actually met, before deciding to kill her.

Of course this might not be quite so bad if not for the fact that she ends up forgiving him and they both live happily ever after. Because stalkers need absolution too.
So, y'know, that's a thing...
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

That sounds almost as bad as the Lifetime Christmas movie Nostalgia Critic and Cinema Snob reviewed earlier this week.

That one had the stalker's victim not only already dating somebody, but said somebody was easily the most reasonable person in the film while the movie tried so damn hard to make them unlikeable while ultimately coming off as little more than mild acts of pettiness and bitchiness. Totally worth dumping them for and hooking up with the stalker!
inflatable dalek

But isn't love just two stalkers that have picked each other as a victim?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I wouldn't know. Love is a strange and confusing concept to me so of course romantic subplots just fill me with rage.
Markk
Protoform

Post by Markk »

Just watched Leaving Las Vegas. Good movie but bit boring.
Limetube.to
Movies for life
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Went to see Logan today, it was fantastic & well worth seeing
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I saw Get Out a couple nights ago, it was great, and I'm not even a horror movie fan. It had a perfect mix of suspense, drama and comedy. I'd highly recommend it.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

The original Rocky, because a few months ago I bought Rocky Balboa and its quite a cool film, Rock's a really nice guy.

The original is good too, but its quite slow paced. It feels much like the original Star Wars films compared to the prequels which are all lots of colours and movement, wacky characters and boring dialogue.

So yeah, last week I bought Rocky I, II and III. Watched the first one so far, I've always wanted to see Rocky V (I know its usually the most hated of the lot), but I liked the premise behind it. I like watching these films because I haven't seen them since the mid-80's probably, and apart from the famous ending I felt like I'd never watched the original before.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I've always been a fan of the Rocky franchise, the first one stands out as it's more of a character piece about Rocky than it is about boxing. It also sets the tone well for making it seem ridiculous that Rocky would even stand a chance of lasting more than a couple rounds against Apollo.

The most recent Creed movie was a great revival for the franchise, I'm curious to see how it will do once Stallone is no longer in the picture.

My rankings for Rocky movies are:
Rocky III
Creed
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

I can't believe that noone else on here hasn't seen Logan yet!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I can't believe it's not butter.

Watched the two Burton Batman flicks over the weekend. The Nolan stuff is cool and all, but these are still my favourite cinematic version of Bats (closely followed by Lego Batman). Burton just nails everything that's ace and weird about the Batman comics. I love how Gotham looks miserable even in the daytime too! I spent a lot of time marveling at the production design this time through. He's eerie fairy tale look was a good fit for Batman.