POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

QT Soundwave & QT Shockwave

These are adorable! Little squished up Penny-Racer cars that turn into dumpy little robots. Shockwave gets plus points for his grumpy expression - impressive, given that he's just an eye to work with. Brilliant. Minus points to Kapow for shoving them in an enormo box when a jiffy bag would have done. What are you, Amazon?
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I don't have a Ross near me. I'm hoping those Dinos make it to TJ Mazz or Marshall's. Right now, I've got MP Grimlock, AoE Sludge (G1 colors), Animated Slag, and Energon Swoop. I've also got some other movie dinos, but not in G1 colors.

I found TR Chromedome on sale for US$10. He's OK, and I'm glad I didn't pay full price for him. The Titan-sits-in-weapon gimmick worked so well in Hardhead, and to a lesser extent Skullcruncher's tail gun, that eery other iteration's been a bit of a let down. The figure is good, but a rehash of a CW design I already own several times. The main difference is that he's got a nicer, mor compact torso, since the roof kibble ends up on his legs instead. If they ever did a top-down convertible using this design, the robot mode would be practically kibble-free.

Usually, I grab a bunch of $5 TFs at 5 Below for Toys for Tots donations, but they don't have any this year. So for the same total price I grabbed a G2 Menasor that had been sitting at Marshall's for a few weeks. I put the gift receipt on the box in case the recipient doesn't like TFs.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote:I don't have a Ross near me. I'm hoping those Dinos make it to TJ Mazz or Marshall's. Right now, I've got MP Grimlock, AoE Sludge (G1 colors), Animated Slag, and Energon Swoop. I've also got some other movie dinos, but not in G1 colors.
I have two within 45 minutes of each other, and the store I was at only had one set, so I took it while I could. Haven't seen them around at the other store. Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx are so hit and miss I feel like I need to trek to all four stores just to find something, mostly coming up empty handed.

I finally got a chance to open up the Dinobots last night. After messing with the simplicity of the CW line, I had completely forgotten how the AoE figures were slightly over-engineered. Many parts have just enough clearance to move around during transformation, and there's a multitude of many steps to get from one mode to the other. I worry about the vacuum chrome parts, as some of the edges already have minor bare spots. I was also surprised at how many of the parts are rubber; it caught me off guard. I really like them though, and it's nice to have a full set done in the G1 deco. I'm really glad i never bit on the AoE ones, as I found their colors rather garish.

This morning I was out and about getting some Rescue Bots for my boy for Christmas and came across TR Hot Rod and TR Getaway. Luckily, Target had them on markdown for $9.99. Overall this has been one hell of a few weeks of acquisitions!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

He local Wal-Mart finally- FINALLY- got some new stuff in.

TR Chromedome - I do like this design, he looks really good and has a nice, intuitive transformation. I'm not too keen on his weapons, though. They don't feel quite right.

TR Wolfwire - Having gotten him.... I'm wishing I'd gotten Hot Rod instead. He looks nice, but the back flap broke at the hinge so the only thing holding it on in the red rubber part, I have to pry his forearm panels open to do anything with his hands, and I keep wondering if anything else is going to break the next time I transform him.

Still not sure about Hot Rod.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Wheelie

TR Hot Rod & Firedrive

TR Twinferno & Daburu

Bought these guys over a few days as they were on discount at various stores, Christmas sales I suppose.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Since they were on sale......

TR Triggerhappy - I haven't actually seen any reviews on him, but he's just a joy to transform. And for some unknown reason, looking at his face makes me think of Deadpool.

TR Hot Rod - Yeah, I decided to get him. He's not perfect, but I like the look well enough. Vehicle mode is ace and there's not enough wrong with the robot mode to keep me away. And since I prefer my Hot Rod to stick with his movie weapons, Chromedome wound up with a normal looking set of guns.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Universe Triceradon And Striker

I heart repaints of toys I already own! So bought these. I love the Guiledart mould so hoovered up the Universe version of Triceradon. He's really neat. I like the colours and striping on the beast mode. Robot mode looks cool and only some clumsy Autobot tampographs spoil things. Thought he needed a pal to hang around with, so bought Striker as well. I've owned this version before, but wasn't so struck on the colours, but paired up with Triceradon, he looks really good.

Masterpiece Shattered Glass Optimus Prime
Well this popped out of nowhere. I'd watched Thew's video on MP10B Nemesis Prime and daydreamed about picking one of those up, but the aftermarket prices are silly now. I'd seen MP10 is getting re-released next year, but honestly, I'm not massively into Prime and have been happy enough with the reissue of the original toy. And my G2 version (still the best Prime toy, IMO). But then I discovered this, and I thought an evil alternate version in funky purples and gunmetal rocking the G2 black trailer stylings is much more my jam (its an off colour repaint of a popular character!). I love this! It lacks the chrome of the Takara Primes, but that's fine for an oaf like me. The alt mode looks so good and the robot mode is brilliant. I love the Matrix chamber and big daft axe and pop out gun thing! The trailer shower cubicle/ defence base is ace. There's no Roller ...for reasons probably explained in some Fun Pub comics I've not read, but I don't mind. A really great figure and I have enjoyed trundling him around the living room making engine noises and everything :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Autobot Rewind - Actually wanted to get Triggerhappy, but I miscalculated the toys popularity, so I bought Rewind instead.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Skullcruncher KO
I like the TR toy's beast mode, but the robot mode is super wibbly and I realized I missed the G1 toy I used to have. So I sold sum guff on the ebay and went for one of these cheeky Chinese bootlegs (having been impressed with the Mindwipe I got). I love this big daft lump. Quality's good, although the stickers haven't had time to dry off the printer so are a bit smudgy, but I'll live.

Titans Return Twinferno w/ Daburu
Yay! Monsterbots! I love the Monsterbots. Never had the originals (they didn't turn up in the UK first time around) , so this is a treat for me. There's no sparking gimmick, just a cracking figure that turns into a daft two headed dragon thing. I love it! The monster mode is cool. Its a little plain and flat on the underside and the housings that the hind legs are on whilst reasonably secure, do pop out of place a fair bit. I wish the wings extended too, but I like the translucent plastic used. Robot mode is cool too, carries off the pancake feet that knacker Mindwipe a lot better and the glossy red paint is lovely. Suprise hit is Daburu who, on closer inspection, appears to be the Lion Beastformer/ Battlebeast dude. Cool!

Titans Return Triggerhappy w/ Blowpipe
Another corker from the Deluxe spectrum of the TR line. The robot mode is kind of boxy, but has loads of freedom to wave his arms and legs about and packs too guns (like Headmasters should). AND THEN he busts out this epic transformation and is suddenly this super-sleek spaceship of shooty death all fins and pointy nose and guns and fins...! He looks MEGA. Blowpipe's a little bland, but serviceable and makes himself at home piloting this sexy space machine or manning a preposterous shoulder mounted twin assault cannon thing...! This toy really delivers on the promise of the original toy which looked like it had the potential to be ace, but was just a bit derp derp.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just before Christmas I was able to get TR Soundwave. He's a giant robot made of boxes and I love him. Haven't had too much time to fiddle with him, but the transformation is pretty quick and easy, and the datapads all fit nicely into his chest. Seems like the newer Titan Masters are a bit on the short side of paint, so Soundblaster is a little bland. Overall I'm really happy with him, and I'm looking forward to a TR Frenzy if they ever put one out there.
Skyquake87 wrote:Titans Return Triggerhappy w/ Blowpipe
Ooh, ooh! Did you flip his guns out to give him gun hands and then peg his other guns into his arms to give mega arm guns? Because it's awesome!

Because for Christmas, my son picked out a TR Triggerhappy for me. I have had zero connection to the previous toy, and this one is pure fun. Great modes on both ends, and super fun to fiddle with. :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Even though I didn't get any Transformers for Christmas I've still managed to have four new ones pop up on my desk.
ganon578 wrote:Just before Christmas I was able to get TR Soundwave. He's a giant robot made of boxes and I love him.
Just grabbed a Blaster myself, and I think this description is apt. I don't know if it's an accident of the transformation or they set out to do it on purpose, but I love how well they captured the almost comical boxiness of the original Blaster toy. He looks like he's made of Lego and I love it. Articulation-wise, he's a bit underwhelming. I didn't expect double knees or elbows, with the limbs being so gloriously boxy, but he's got no forearm/wrist swivels, no waist swivel and he can't look up or down thanks to the helmetted-Headmaster gimmick. He does have really good ankle tilts, though, so getting him to stand isn't a problem in any pose he is capable of. And I really like the way the legs just explode to make either boombox or base mode.

I've looked at most of the other Leaders in store and mostly put them back down after laughing at their heads, but Blaster actually makes the helmet gimmick look good. Using the comic head with the "knight" visor helps a lot in that regard. Though his TM partner is hilarious-looking on his own, with his giant face, and Blaster looks silly with any of the Deluxe or Voyager heads I own plugged in, so it's sort of a wash in the end.

Rewind pairs up with him nicely, though I've got no interest in Stripes since he's so ugly. Rumour has it that Ramhorn is coming later (albeit as a Titan Master, not a tablet), so he'll be able to have a nice little team of minions even if they never get to making Eject or Steeljaw (and honestly, with molds already made for Rewind and Sawback it'd be a shame if they didn't repaint them).

Honestly, while I really like Blaster a lot he's also a good example of why I so rarely buy Leader-class toys, because while he's fun he's nowhere near as much fun as the three Deluxes I also got, and the Deluxes combined to cost about $5 less.

Chromedome doesn't really bring anything new to the party. He's engineered almost identically to the CW Dead End and Streetwise that I already own, which is both good (because those are two of my fave CW toys) and bad (because I already know basically what to expect). He's a good toy but I can't help looking at him and Streetwise and noting all the little things that the latter does better (slightly better range of motion, better accessories and a slicker robot silhouette). It cuts both ways, though, and Chromedome definitely has a leg up in a few other areas (a smaller backpack, having actual feet, not having a combiner port for a tummy). Mold-wise it probably equals out, and Chromedome is a very nice figure. But he's also got the blandest colours known to man, transparent wheels for some reason and the IDW head doesn't quite work on a body that turns out to be quite chunky. They tried to give him the V-shaped IDW torso, but he's still got the front end of a car on his back so he winds up having a blocky silhouette anyway. And I know it sounds like I'm really down on him, but honestly, he's great. He just had the bad luck of coming at the same time as three figures that are fresh and new, so he doesn't seem very exciting in comparison.

I'm not sure where I stand on Mindwipe. The bat mode is basically a statue with a weird block plugged into it's butt, and no real opportunity for interaction with any Titan Masters beyond his own. And the way his transformation works, with the wings folding up into his legs...by all rights the robot mode should be awful. But it's actually great! The legs stick together better than they have any right to, he's got great range of motion in his elbows and knees and he's got big feet that hold his weight well. Beast mode won't win any prizes but the robot more than makes up for it, and the end result is a nice toy. And also, based on how it's engineered, a toy that would make for a badass Squeezeplay retool in the future (pretty please, Hasbro?)

Weirdwolfwire is my favourite of the bunch. His beast mode has a metric ton of personality, like Skullcruncher, and great poseability too. His transformation has more wrinkles than I expected (he looks like a Beast Machines Special where you just stand up the animal and call it a robot), but I'm really glad that I didn't get him until a few months after he came out so that people had already figured how to open his cockpit without splitting the hinges. Robot mode has tons of mobility, good balance and awesome accessories. I also love his colours (I somehow never realized he sports the same shades of yellow and green as Sinnertwin, one of my first and favourite G1 toys).

All in all, a damned good haul. As much as I love some of the previous Generations iterations, I think this bunch has cemented Titans Return as my favourite. Even the figures with obvious flaws are ridiculously fun.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote: ... people had already figured how to open his cockpit without splitting the hinges.
While mine so far hasn't shown signs of cracking yet, I'm curious. What's the trick?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Apparently, the trick is to open the other side of his chest first and push the cockpit hatch open from the inside. I think the logic is that when you do that you're putting force on the clear red bit, not the yellow part that's prone to breaking. You still need to put a bit of force on the yellow (or at least I think I do) in order to pop the tab out, but this way you're not using it to lever the cockpit open.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Asian Exclusive MP Soundwave! Woohoo!!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

ganon578 wrote:Ooh, ooh! Did you flip his guns out to give him gun hands and then peg his other guns into his arms to give mega arm guns? Because it's awesome!
Yes! And then made the silly shoulder mounted gun thingy that Blowpipe can sit in and pegged it in to his arms and stuck Terry Bull on his shoulders! Whoop!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

TR Autobot Stripes - This cat completes the last of Blaster's minions so far, now I need to get Soundwave and he's minions.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Titans Return Gnaw

He's adorable!
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Knowing my fellow Canadian collectors, they are going to kill me for the following post . . .

I got TR: Sixshot!!! And Astrotrain came along for the ride as I was trying to find Optimus Prime.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Platinum Edition Autobot Intel Ops (Perceptor And Blaster Reissue)

Been dithering on this for a while, but A1 toys have some of the Platinum Reissues (Seekers/ Insections/ Triple Changers) heavily reduced, so I pulled the trigger. I like the Slides for Perceptor - still a shame Hasbro didn't retain / reintroduce the x15 magnification of the Diaclone toy (which is still shown on his decals). Blaster is silly. He's so bloody huge and clunky. Worst thing about him is that tiny head! Why is it so small?! His tape chums Eject, Ramhorn And Steeljaw (wot, no Rewind?) are all excellent and probably my favourite things about this set. Have to say, I do like the playset nature of these Platinum Reissues.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

To keep plinking with the TR fun, I picked up a few Titan Masters over the last week:

TR Brawn, TR Sawback (Lione), and TR Apeface

I find that Brawn is pretty fun and has a neat little treaded 'Jeep' mode. The other mode where is basically riding a giant gun is a little far-fetched. He pairs nicely with Hardhead though, and the gun mode is one of the best I have so far.

Sawback is pretty neat, and his lion mode is a bit bigger than I expected. Planning on pairing him with Hot Rod, the color palette works well. What I hadn't anticipated was the 'shield' mode's peg needing to attach to a hand from the bottom. Hot Rod's forearm design negates that entirely. It kind of works if you swivel the hand out, but not really. You know what's odd though? Hot Rod's jack design for the Titan Masters to peg in. All the other TR figures I have contain a pretty standard jack. Hot Rod's is different for whatever reason, and the TM's don't peg in very tight. :(

Apeface is pretty ace, if I want to be poetic about it. Nice jet mode, nice ape mode, and decent gun mode. :up: all around on that one.

I think my goal is to find a suitable TM partner for each TR deluxe I own.