Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Keanu - Starring Jordan Peele & Keegan-Michael Key.

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy 15 - Stars Aaron Paul, Sean Bean, and Lena Headey in vocal roles and possibly acts as a prequel to Final Fantasy 15.
Destruction is my specialty
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Devilman - The Complete TV Series

Well with the Figuarts Devilman coming out, this seemed like a logical step. Guess I'll finally have to buy the Mazinger sets too.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Doctor Who - The Power of the Daleks: I've read the novelllization, and now I'm finally kind of able to watch it. This is the first of the reconstructions that I've seen. It's a great story. If I have any complaint, it's the animation. The Daleks are complete CGI, and the backgrounds look like they are too, and they look great. The animation for the actors..... Not all that fluid.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Batman: The Complete Series Collection: yes, I now have the Adam West Batman on DVD. And after watching the extras, not only do I think I know why the color palette for the Batman Sprite in the NES game is the way it is, but I'm glad they never tried to do Killer Moth on the show. I may need therapy after watching the Batgirl pilot/promo.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Batman La Releve : Saison 1

...Or Batman Beyond Season 1 on Region 2 DVD. Interestingly, this is pretty much a straight forward transfer of the Region 1 set, so it contains all the same extras and whatnot. I got rid of my Region 1 sets when my old multi-region player died, so its nice to own this again (Seasons 2 & 3 and the movie just aren't a patch on this opening Season), although the picture doesn't appear to be as sharp as on the Region 1 release, looking more like a cheap VHS transfer, which is a shame.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Bad telecine transfer probably?

Also what kind of a DVD player do you have anyway? Apart from Sony and some other manufacturer which I can't remember, most DVD players and even blu-ray players on the DVD side of things can be pretty easily be converted region free.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Its a cheap Sony, my last one was an LG that I converted.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

And if we ever needed proof that I have issues.......

Transformers: Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory: Finally. All three series on DVD. In English. The Headmasters one might be the most technically complex of the lot. When the disc first starts, you have a choice of a batch of episodes, which takes you to a second DVD menu. Masterforce and Victory are just all lumped in. As for image quality, Headmasters is the best, with Victory coming in second, and Masterforce coming in last. They're all really good, but Masterforce winds up with a little more blurring if there's a lot of motion on the screen. Admittedly, this is based on just watching the first episode of each. I also forgot why I'm willing to overlook a lot of Victory's problems: it seems to be played more as a comedy than the other two shows. Or as I like to think of it - Headmasters was them trying to do the US cartoon, Masterforce is how they would have done it without the US influence, and Victory is more of a Sentai show with Transformers in it.

Speaking of comedy......
The Next Generation: Patlabor 1 - 13 and the Movie - For reasons known only to the people who made it, there's a lot of love for the manga/anime series Patlabor: The Mobile Police. I do love the series, because while the movie was kind of serious, the TV and OVA series were pretty funny. Flash forward to 2013, and whatever company that owned the rights decided to make a live action, released only to theaters like the old serials from the '30s and '40s, Patlabor series.

Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:Its a cheap Sony
I am so sorry.

I was pretty pissed off myself when I wanted to go region free and discovered Sony was one of those two manufacturers - and my first player just happened to be one.

I still blame them for the blu-ray region code BS. I'm just glad we're finally seeing Criterion in the UK tho.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Justice League: Dark.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Doctor Strange - Another Marvel Studios movie, this one based on the Sorcerer Supreme and stars Benedict Cumberpatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Mads Mikkelsen and Tilda Swinton.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Hacksaw Ridge - Directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield, Vince Vaughn, Hugo Weaving, Sam Worthington and Teresa Palmer.

It's about a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian who joins the second world war as a medic but refuses to use weapons of any kind.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

EDIT: Crap, wrong thread.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Broken Arrow and Face/Off insanely fun action movies directed by John Woo and starring John Travolta.

Broken Arrow Travolta growls as a traitorous air force pilot who steals a pair of nukes with Christian Slater as his former co-pilot and friend trying to stop. Travolta's "Would mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?" being one of the film best lines in it. Extremely well paced with plenty of great set action pieces.

Face/Off is about Travolta playing a super determined FBI agent out to capture his arch-nemesis Nick Cage who has planted a WMD in LA with Cage in coma and Cage's brother in prison and will only talk to Cage, Travolta has to become Cage through a face transplant, unfortunately this wakes Cage up who comes up with the same plan to become Travolta. Both Travolta and Cage give extreme over-the-top performances as the villain and a more restrained performance has the hero and this has some of Woo's best action set pieces in his Hollywood films.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Twin Peaks on blu and a Seinfeld DVD box set.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Moana steel book blu ray - Stars Auli'i Cravalho as Moana and as well as the voices of Dwayne Johnson, Rachel House, Temuera Morrison, Jemaine Clement, Nicole Scherzinger, and Alan Tudyk.

Lego Nexo Knights Season 1.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Blu Ray Steelbook Edition - Tells the story of a a small group of Rebels were able to steal the plans to the first Death Star.
Stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk and Ben Mendelsohn.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Latest DVD Purchases.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Skyquake87 wrote:i've recently bought Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends Season 1 which I haven't seen since I was tiny...and its glorious! I've also picked up the '90s X-Men Cartoon (seasons 1, 2 and half of 3) as that has been remaindered so is cheap everywhere. Most recent film purchase was Captain America (with Chris Evans) which I enjoyed, but thought was a bit long...and wasn't fond of the weird technique used to film Evans when he was weedy. He just looked very far away all the time.
Notabot wrote:Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Both complete series for about $15 each. Good, nostalgic, bizarre fun.

Cool! I have been a fan those old SPACE GHOST and SPIDERMAN television cartoon shows for a long while? Did you guys purchase those DVDs from eBay and/or Amazon?
:devil: Image :angel:
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Hacksaw Ridge was the most brutal movie I've seen in a while. Anyway...
We got Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One. I didn't enjoy either as much as the first time around.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Mr_Hi_n_Mitey wrote:Did you guys purchase those DVDs from blatant plug for well known online retailers
No. Picked mine up from an actual shop. HMV, I think. Had 'em for years and am still watching through (they're old and quaintly charming and not really something to binge watch).