Titans Return discussion thread

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:I can't recall anyone being sniffy about the change from the Diaclone stuff to the '86 and up toys, more that you were seen as a bit juvenile if you were still interested in toys at secondary school level (11+) when everyone was trying terribly hard to be grown up.
I don't really remember that bit, although was mostly absentmindedly finding stuff like early TFs, Battle Beasts and remaindered annuals at car boot / jumble sales and clearance places. Not really a social thing in the same way that video games were though.

Would be really up for the third bit of the Combiner Wars / Titans Return / ??? being Pretenders...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Denyer wrote:Would be really up for the third bit of the Combiner Wars / Titans Return / ??? being Pretenders...
"Power of the Primes" purportedly...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:It's the same story here. The RiD stuff suffers a bit from the same problem as AoE did, in that I can't tell at a glance whether I'm looking at a toy that's supposed to be for a three year old or an eight year old. So I'm never entirely sure what I'm looking at. But as best as I can tell the Deluxeish figures sell okay here, though not as well as the nicer-looking and often-cheaper Generations figures. The One-Steps and gimmick figures not so much, as that seems to be the only stuff left on store shelves at times and I never notice those pegs being empty.
I would imagine the multiple 'styles' of the same figures is really confusing, especially for an uninformed parent (I'm an informed parent, so I know exactly what I'm looking for). Matter of fact I picked up 1 step Strongarm for my daughter this Christmas.

As far as I can tell around here, the less expensive stuff sells much faster than the others, so the 1-3 Step ones go a little bit quicker (just by price). It seems like Hasbro is trying to cater to too wide an age range, so their solution is to just offer the same characters with different levels of complexity. Sounds good on paper, but on store pegs it appears as a never ending display of options. *Loses patience: "Oh forget it, I'll just pick up the cheap one."
Warcry wrote:No Targetmasters? What a dreary childhood that must have been! :(
Seems like it, doesn't it? Actually it was pretty good. On the Transformers side I had the likes of Devastator, OP, Cyclonus, etc., and I was six, so I probably didn't care :). A couple weeks ago I made an attempt to count the TF's I had back then (what I could remember) and I think I had an even number of Transformers and GoBots, oddly.

I also had a ginormous amount of He-Man and GI Joe figures too, so I was set no matter what!
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:"Power of the Primes" purportedly...
You beat me to that!

No idea what Power of the Primes is going to mean though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Would be really up for the third bit of the Combiner Wars / Titans Return / ??? being Pretenders...
I'm hopeful. If not the next line, then I think there's a good chance of the idea being revisited some time soon.
ganon578 wrote:As far as I can tell around here, the less expensive stuff sells much faster than the others, so the 1-3 Step ones go a little bit quicker (just by price). It seems like Hasbro is trying to cater to too wide an age range, so their solution is to just offer the same characters with different levels of complexity. Sounds good on paper, but on store pegs it appears as a never ending display of options. *Loses patience: "Oh forget it, I'll just pick up the cheap one."
You know what? I'm a fan and even I've had that problem. I wanted a Generations Strafe when the AoE stuff was out, and for months on end whenever I'd walk through a toy section I'd have to take a look at the pile of different Strafes on offer because even I couldn't tell just by looking at the packaging whether it was the one I wanted or not (it never was).

I just can't understand how confusing customers like that can possibly be a good marketing call, but then they went ahead and did exactly the same thing with RiD. You'd think they'd make an effort to make it clear via the packaging what was what, with different colours or something, but the only thing differentiating them that I can see is a tiny bit of text saying "Three step" for the simpler toys. Otherwise the packaging design is identical. The one-steps at least seem to be packed in alt-mode, so that's an easy distinction to look for once you know it, but it really doesn't help any parents who are shopping.
ganon578 wrote:No idea what Power of the Primes is going to mean though.
With a name like that, hopefully it means they'll finally make a new Rodimus Prime!
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Clay

Post by Clay »

Glorious.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:You know what? I'm a fan and even I've had that problem. I wanted a Generations Strafe when the AoE stuff was out, and for months on end whenever I'd walk through a toy section I'd have to take a look at the pile of different Strafes on offer because even I couldn't tell just by looking at the packaging whether it was the one I wanted or not (it never was).
I had some similar experience, and I can't remember for which character - maybe Crosshairs? I'd see the green and black from a distance, get all excited, then... NOPE! It's a one-step power-punching Crosshairs! Boo.
Warcry wrote:The one-steps at least seem to be packed in alt-mode, so that's an easy distinction to look for once you know it, but it really doesn't help any parents who are shopping.
Half the time it doesn't even help me, and I feel like I'm a relatively Transformers-informed parent!
Warcry wrote:With a name like that, hopefully it means they'll finally make a new Rodimus Prime!
It would be about time! I don't mind getting new Hot Rod toys, but seriously, this guy needs a proper remake by now. It's like Hasbro tries to imagine Rodimus Prime never existed. Kinda like how they pretend he was never pinkish maroon.
Scotimus Prime wrote:First full pic of Trypticon
That Trypticon is a thing of beauty. I wants it, but will never haves it.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I will have it, yessss
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Daaaaaamn, giant robot godzilla!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heh. Trypticon looks cool, but I'm happy enough with the Platinum reissue (which does walking!). Still hoping for a Scorponok though...
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

He's next
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Trypticon looks fine, though that pic doesn't make it seem like it'll be much more poseable than the G1 figure was. And it probably can't chase my toddler down the hall, so I'll stick with the original.

I can't fathom wanting a Titan Class Scorponok either, not when he was the same size as PM Prime in the only English-language fiction he's ever had a consequential role in.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'd be happy with a big ol' Scorpy figure. Doesn't have to be a city-bot for me, but I would like to own a decent update of the character...since aftermarket prices on the original are out of my range. Plus the original toy was always spoilt by that piddly little head. Plus, there's potential in a new toy for a Black Zarak repaint - a version of that character that you could actually play with, instead of watch crumble away.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

One of the reasons why I'm sad we didn't get a TR Leader Scorponok is because the gimmicks of the size class (Headmaster with a base mode and a helmet that flips down over the TM partner to form the head) are both practically tailor-made for him. Like, I'm sure the Titan will be a great figure for people who want something that big and I'm sure we'll get a not-so-big version of the character for people like me in the future, but what they were doing with the Leaders in this line is such a great fit for the character that it's really disappointing that we're seemingly not getting one. I guess they figured it would eat away at the sales for the Titan, but you'd think those would be totally different markets.

But then I'm equally baffled that they'd do a whole line of triplechanging Voyager Headmasters and not make Apeface and Snapdragon, so obviously there's something I'm missing.

I'm actually quite surprised that we haven't gotten major redecos of any of the Titan figures so far. No Metrotitan, no G2 Devastator, no Grand Maximus or Brave Maximus...maybe they'll go back and do some once they've gotten done with Trypticon, Scorponok and Omega Supreme, but right now I'd be very surprised if they made a Black Zarak (or a Gigastorm from Trypticon).
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Oh hey look at Twin Twist, Quick Switch and... Nautica in the background?
Warcry wrote:Like, I'm sure the Titan will be a great figure for people who want something that big and I'm sure we'll get a not-so-big version of the character for people like me in the future, but what they were doing with the Leaders in this line is such a great fit for the character that it's really disappointing that we're seemingly not getting one.
This, this. I mean, I'm not complaining too much about the leaders we actually got because Powermaster Prime and Sixshot, plus as much as I feel it's redundant considering the amount of Soundwaves in the toyline people do like Soundwave and Blaster... but all things considered I'd rather have Scorponok in the toyline where it's focused on Headmasters.

Also, yeah, I'm slightly surprised that neither Takara or whoever is in charge of Platinum Edition toys to not have made at least Brave/Grand Maximus yet, or repainted Devastator and Metroplex.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could be Nautica, I suppose...

Hasbro's certainly taken some inspiration from Fansproject with TR -- great to see a cheaper option on Quickswitch for those that want.
Hound

Post by Hound »

There's the base mode too, why isn't there a photo of that? I've already seen the dino mode, I want to see the other two modes...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Hound wrote:There's the base mode too, why isn't there a photo of that? I've already seen the dino mode, I want to see the other two modes...
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17 ... ion-figure