OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

OVERLORD IS GLORIOUS!

Trypticon and the new-and-improved Full-Tilt also looks pretty freaking awesome. So is the little Seaspray.

Blitzwing and Octane look great, but I already have two different voyager-class Blitzwings (this one looks to be an actually good toy compared to T30 Blitzwing, though) and I don't give a crap about Octane. Great that they're making an effort to do all the triple-changers up in Voyager class, though.

Bit confused about the large amount of box-sets, though... I mean, there's not a ton from the box-sets I really want but people who would want like a single Quickswitch or a single Nautica would find it hard-pressed to buy like three or four other figures and who cares about Metalhawk?

Twin Twist is pretty. So's Windblade, but like Blitzwing I already have a toy of her (even if it's a shit one) and I don't care enough about Windblade to buy a second toy of her.

Wonderfest just announced Beast Wars Dinobot for the next Masterpiece, but we don't have pictures just yet.

BUT HEY LOOK AT ALL THE MOVIE STUFF

Bit disappointed that a lot of the returning characters are reusing the pretty weak-looking AoE moulds, but the brand-new characters look pretty boss. Look at the beautiful new Megatron design! Look at the big pretty Masterpiece Bumblebee!

Actually, no wait, I'll take that back. LOOK AT SCORN HE'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Some cool stuff! Overlord and The Clones stood out to me the most, I think. I want to like Nautica, but the Blurr mould is a bit too boxy for her. Blitzwing and Octane look good, but I already have the T30 Blitzy, who I still like (flaws and all) and I'm really not keen on the mould used for Octane/ Optimus, although that might change if I see one in the wild.

Two Decepticon jets and MP Bee are the ones that grabbed my attention from the Movie stuff.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

The Clones do look fantastic, don't they? Presumably Cloudraker and Wingspan get released as single-packed toys? It's a bit sad to see so many toys lumped together in a five-pack, though... Nautica, Fastlane, Pounce and Tidal Wave are toys I would buy, but I don't quite like them enough to pay for full sets including a bunch of toys I don't care about.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If I'm understanding this right, what the **** is the point in doing multi-packs that contain leader class figures? The only way they're going to sell is to people parting them out.

Plenty of stuff of interest there, but apart from trying to get hold of a Nautica (and if a 3P one doth appear that'll almost certainly get the sale) it's really "if seen in person" potential impulse purchases due to space and priorities.

Almost everything is of some interest -- would get Sixshot ahead of Quickswitch, and Metalhawk and Tidalwave aren't really, but Hasbro are continuing to knock things out of the park in creative variations and moments in the sun for characters that haven't been done to death.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Also, this might be another one like CW Cyclonus where the painted prototype looked better than the figure, but this is pretty sweet and makes the "helmet" head style work, plus the callback to the original figure with the chest...

https://twitter.com/TFU_INFO/status/833066298527641600

https://i.imgur.com/qCxlAmA.jpg
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Denyer wrote:If I'm understanding this right, what the **** is the point in doing multi-packs that contain leader class figures?
Yeah, it's a very, very weird decision -- I don't think Hasbro ever did multi-packs containing, well, so much toys. Usually it's just a couple of deluxes, or a deluxe and a voyager, or a full combiner team... five toys, one of which is a leader and another a voyager, seems to be way too huge a price point to really appeal to me especially since neither of the two leader class toys are honestly appealing. I already own Sixshot which IMO is superior to Quickswitch visually, and Super Ginrai Magnus Prime is basically not that different from the Powermaster Prime that's been in retail for half a year.

Still, though, A for effort. The current continue to amaze me with how much mileage they could get out of retooling and new heads (and with the Headmaster gimmick it certainly is a lot easier for retools with new heads to make). Like, Overlord, Blitzwing and Octane in particular, but I've only realized thirty minutes ago that the Tidal Wave/Broadside mould is actually retooled from Alpha Trion very extensively, and I honestly wouldn't know it if I haven't been told.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

METALHAWK ****ING HELL GUYS.

Wait until I pop back in time and tell 2002 me about this stuff.

Won't be buying any of the TR stuff, but between this and the Marvel Legends reveals, Hasbro really know who their audience is these days and are providing a lot of variety and options for them. Fantastic.

(there's an A-Force TRU six-pack coming that includes 6" Legends versions of Monica Rambeau and Elsa Bloodstone, for the Nextwave fans amongst you)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-most-amazing ... 1792530410

Ooo... at that point it's worth trying to put some sort of team together... :up:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:If I'm understanding this right, what the **** is the point in doing multi-packs that contain leader class figures? The only way they're going to sell is to people parting them out.
Depends on price too, which I haven't seen listed yet.
Blackjack wrote:Yeah, it's a very, very weird decision -- I don't think Hasbro ever did multi-packs containing, well, so much toys. Usually it's just a couple of deluxes, or a deluxe and a voyager, or a full combiner team... five toys, one of which is a leader and another a voyager,
Biggest boxed sets I can think of were the occasional groupings of an Optimus Prime with his combining buddies (though the only Hasbro sets I can think of were the RID Prime and Ultra Magnus repaints in a box set around 2004 or so). Most of the other box contain smaller figures, yeah... We got an Autobot movie cast set for Age of Extinction, right? And some dinobot sets?

I can't think of any sets without a theme that were this size, though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:...but Hasbro are continuing to knock things out of the park in creative variations and moments in the sun for characters that haven't been done to death.
I think that's what I appreciate the most about this line. Hasbro are actually making a concerted effort to revisit a lot of semi-forgotten characters this time around, rather than putting the occasional random Scoop or Thunderwing into a line that's otherwise filled with the same handful of well-known '84-'86 guys. Even if some of them haven't turned out that well, the fact that they're finally making an effort to address the era of toys I grew up with is awesome.
Blackjack wrote:Yeah, it's a very, very weird decision -- I don't think Hasbro ever did multi-packs containing, well, so much toys. Usually it's just a couple of deluxes, or a deluxe and a voyager, or a full combiner team... five toys, one of which is a leader and another a voyager, seems to be way too huge a price point to really appeal to me especially since neither of the two leader class toys are honestly appealing. I already own Sixshot which IMO is superior to Quickswitch visually, and Super Ginrai Magnus Prime is basically not that different from the Powermaster Prime that's been in retail for half a year.
Pricewise I don't think it'll end up being far off of the Combiner Wars box sets. Those retailed for around $125 here I think (it's impossible to say exactly because everywhere that still has them has them on deep clearance). A Leader, Voyager, Deluxe, Scout and Titan Master together would be $50 + $30 + $20 + $12 + $7, so in around the same ballpark assuming that the "exclusive" label doesn't drive them into the stratosphere.

Without the combiner gimmick to drive sales, though? Honestly, if the CW sets all wound up on clearance I'd have to think these ones will end up there too.
Blackjack wrote:Still, though, A for effort. The current continue to amaze me with how much mileage they could get out of retooling and new heads (and with the Headmaster gimmick it certainly is a lot easier for retools with new heads to make). Like, Overlord, Blitzwing and Octane in particular, but I've only realized thirty minutes ago that the Tidal Wave/Broadside mould is actually retooled from Alpha Trion very extensively, and I honestly wouldn't know it if I haven't been told.
If you want to really blow your mind, consider that Windblade is a retool of Scourge and Highbrow. She seems to reuse the feet, upper legs and transformation "spine" from those figures.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:METALHAWK ****ING HELL GUYS.
It's a shame they didn't bling out the chest some more with a shiny gold paint job. But he looks great anyway and it's a shame he's crammed into a box set.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Clay wrote:Most of the other box contain smaller figures, yeah... We got an Autobot movie cast set for Age of Extinction, right? And some dinobot sets?
Oh, yeah, there were a couple of Platinum Edition five-packs. Two Voyagers and three Deluxes, for both Dinobot and Autobot sets. Totally slipped my mind. A quick google showed that those retailed for around $125-ish, which actually isn't far off from Warcry's estimate of the Titans Return five-pack.

But my overestimation of the price of these five-packs is also because I didn't realize Fastlane and Pounce were actually Legends-class instead of Deluxe-class toys. I guess I just saw "whoa, a five-toy multipack with a Leader and a Voyager?" and overreacted. Leader class toys are ridiculously marked up in my country, reaching around $85-95 if I convert it to dollars... so much that I imported my leader class Sixshot from a different country and it still ended up being cheaper than if I went to a store and bought one off retail.
Warcry wrote:Pricewise I don't think it'll end up being far off of the Combiner Wars box sets. Those retailed for around $125 here I think (it's impossible to say exactly because everywhere that still has them has them on deep clearance). A Leader, Voyager, Deluxe, Scout and Titan Master together would be $50 + $30 + $20 + $12 + $7, so in around the same ballpark assuming that the "exclusive" label doesn't drive them into the stratosphere.
Very fair, again, I kind of forgot that the Combiner Wars box sets exist...
Warcry wrote:If you want to really blow your mind, consider that Windblade is a retool of Scourge and Highbrow. She seems to reuse the feet, upper legs and transformation "spine" from those figures.
Oh danggg that's very very impressive. I thought she was a brand-new mould.
Warcry wrote:It's a shame they didn't bling out the chest some more with a shiny gold paint job. But he looks great anyway and it's a shame he's crammed into a box set.
Really? I actually find Metalhawk kind of... well, not bad, but not a toy that caught my interest. I mean, the Triggerhappy mould makes sense for him, but I don't find him interesting. Maybe it's the lack of bling, I suppose, or maybe because I only know about Metalhawk from the IDW comics where he's a bit of a tit.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Shame about the boxsets, I like about half of the figures in each of them, but doubt I will ever be willing to buy them because of the price tag. Maybe if they don't sell well we might see them get some big time discounts to make them worthwhile.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

All of the TR stuff looks really good to me, even if I won't buy a majority of it. Likely Seaspray, Windblade, maybe a couple others like Topspin and Twintwist. I missed out on Cosmos before, so a re-release makes me happy. I really appreciate all the options Habsro is pushing out these days.

What a time to be a collector!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This is news, right? Ganked from the TFW UK thread:

https://i.imgur.com/bjahNML.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S5xGNQn.jpg
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yay! Lazy retools!Its the excellent Triggerhappy mould and its Slugslinger and Misfire, so I don't care! EXCITED!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Might be a slight adapting of the CAD model, but I'm not seeing many parts that are actually the same. Pretty much joints.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Denyer wrote:Might be a slight adapting of the CAD model, but I'm not seeing many parts that are actually the same. Pretty much joints.
Fairly certain the current rule is that if the legs are the same then the entire toy is a lazy repaint.

Slugslinger looks ****ing amaaaaaaaaazing. Misfire less so.

Done well so far and not bought any TR stuff. Go me.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Triggerhappy's my favorite Titans Return deluxe so far, so it's great to see that his two Targetmaster buddies are being added to the line as well. Both their jet modes look great, I love how closely they resemble their G1 counterparts. Slugslinger's robot mode looks good, but I feel like Misfire has too much pink going on. It would be nice if his head or guns or both were a different color. Small complaint though, I still can't wait to get these.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The legs are identical to Triggerhappy's, but I don't think they share many other parts. Even the transformation seems to be different, since their cockpits wind up on their backs.

Misfire really needs to have his helmet painted black. And it's a shame that they couldn't get Slugslinger's actual jet-mode cockpits big enough for the TM to sit in there. Otherwise I think they're alright, though maybe a bit underwhelming since it means all three of the 'Con TM jets are sharing the same mold. Even with pretty unique upper bodies, they may look a bit samey side by side by side being identical from the waist down.

I like that the front of Misfire's jet mode transforms like his character model (so the front spikes stick up behind his head) rather than his old toy. Gives him a bit more personality.