Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Scotimus Prime wrote:I can't believe that noone else on here hasn't seen Logan yet!
So you're assuming that everyone here has seen it? My head hurts.

Any chance you can ditch the 15 line sig when posting a one-line comment btw?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I have seen Logan! Feel bad for not liking it as much as everyone else as it does try very hard and Jackman and Stewart are both brilliant (everyone who isn't Richard E. Grant is good--his problem is more he's given nothing to work with,--it's just they raise things to a whole new level when onscreen).

But it's a needlessly long film. You can't really create drama out of whether Logan will Do The Right Thing after ample evidence of him Doing The Right Thing nearly every time across the series. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the last hour and a half is not him fishing off a boat. If they'd minimised that (which goes on almost to the end) you'd have had a shorter film with more characters left alive at the end.

Also a very cynical film. Really not sure what the point of rebooting everything with Days of Future Past and ressuecting everyone was when two movies later the starting premise is The X-Men get killed off offscreen between films.

I think it's impact as an intended grand finale also suffers from knowing the current X-films are set earlier. Jackman could presumably show up in any and all of them if they threw enough money at him.

And the villains are terrible. The henchman is the best developed out of the three. The Surprise Baddy (though a marvellous WTF moment when they first appear) is mute and doesn't feel that tough, and Grant as mentioned has has nothing.

That all sounds more negative than it felt...but yeah, for me personally not anywhere up to its reputation.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:I think it's impact as an intended grand finale also suffers from knowing the current X-films are set earlier. Jackman could presumably show up in any and all of them if they threw enough money at him.
Its intent is a "last Wolverine" film, rather than as an X-Men finale. The current X-movies are still in the timeline before Wolverine joins the team, and if Jackman's done with the role it makes sense to give a sense of closure.

I'm a big fan of them going "look, the superhero attempts at this have been rubbish, let's just do a western about a retired gunfighter who thinks he's left it all behind but his past catches up to him... but it just so happens he's a superhero instead of a gunfighter".
And the villains are terrible. The henchman is the best developed out of the three. The Surprise Baddy (though a marvellous WTF moment when they first appear) is mute and doesn't feel that tough, and Grant as mentioned has has nothing.
It's a good thing you've not seen Apocalypse. The post-credits scene acts as set-up for this movie in a way that would completely misled you. It explains where they get Wolverine's blood (which you don't really need to know), but in a manner that invokes the name of Nathaniel Essex, so when Richard E Grant isn't actually Mr Sinister it's an even bigger swerve.

I mean crowbarring the character of Sinister into this would have been Bad, but if you felt disappointed by the situation as is, imagine adding that to proceedings.

As far as the underwhelmingness you've got from it goes... I feel that might be sort of the point. The big depressing underwhelming "nothing's as spectacular as you'd expect it to be... life's just a bit shit" vibe is a common theme in westerns. The "oh, is that it?" vibe adds a bit more realism to proceedings.

I think it is a Good Film. But I hated Shane with a fiery passion (mostly because of the kid) so it loses points for reminding me that was a thing.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Skyquake87 wrote:I can't believe it's not butter.

Watched the two Burton Batman flicks over the weekend. The Nolan stuff is cool and all, but these are still my favourite cinematic version of Bats (closely followed by Lego Batman). Burton just nails everything that's ace and weird about the Batman comics. I love how Gotham looks miserable even in the daytime too! I spent a lot of time marveling at the production design this time through. He's eerie fairy tale look was a good fit for Batman.
I love the Burton/Keaton Batman movies also. It's a shame that they seem to be lumped in with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin when the director and star of the earlier two had nothing to do with the later two.

The Nolan stuff was great when it was new, but I feel that they have not aged well. Ledger's Joker is possibly the only part of the Nolan trilogy that I still would want to watch again. The Burton films, on the other hand, still hold up to this day.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Nolan films are slightly undone for me by Bale's silly ROAR I ARE BATMAN voice. Keaton does the rough voice thing, much better :)
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Funny noone has mentioned Affleck's portrayal of Batman! seeing as someone is running through the various Batmen? & tbh we still dunno if he'll stay on or not as the Caped Crusader in The Batman film or not at this point in time, with all the fiasco that's going on.

Oh & Brendocon....if you don't like my sig....then don't read/look at it!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Scotimus Prime wrote:Oh & Brendocon....if you don't like my sig....then don't read/look at it!
Difficult when it fills up half the screen.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Went to the theater with the kids last week and checked out the Lego Batman Movie. Pretty damn good flick! Really funny, and also very grounded in Batman being... well, Batman. Kids liked it too, and that movie is stuffed full of one-liners!

Also watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows on Blu-ray the other week. I can see why critics gave it a hard time, but honestly it was an enjoyable 2-hour-ish romp. The absurdity of it all made it fun, and there was enough goofy comedy in there without being cheesy. Pretty glad I had picked it up for 10 bucks on sale.
wallapopstar
Protoform

Post by wallapopstar »

Ah Ah AH.... indeed just have to try to not look at it :) :)
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Scotimus Prime wrote:Funny noone has mentioned Affleck's portrayal of Batman! seeing as someone is running through the various Batmen? & tbh we still dunno if he'll stay on or not as the Caped Crusader in The Batman film or not at this point in time, with all the fiasco that's going on.
Only seen him in Suicide Squad, so can't comment. Man Of Steel was enough of a turn off for me to have zero interest in a Batman/ Superman punch up. Be quite interested to see how Wonder Woman turns out though, as the trailer looks decent. But then, don't all trailers....
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I thought Affleck's Batman was the only real good part about Batman V. Superman. There were a lot of problems with that movie, but Batfleck was not one of them. I think they could do some great stuff with solo movies and maybe bring in some Bat villains that have never been on the Big Screen.

Saw Logan last night and I thought it was great. I just wish we could see more of X-23 in future films because she was my favorite part of the whole thing. I don't know how that would work with the timeline being so far in the future and the rest of the X-Films being in either the present or the past.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Watched Osamu Tezuka's Cleopatra last night.

It was, um, interesting.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Its intent is a "last Wolverine" film, rather than as an X-Men finale. The current X-movies are still in the timeline before Wolverine joins the team, and if Jackman's done with the role it makes sense to give a sense of closure.
Mind, I'd say it really is as much of an X-Men finale as it is a Wolverine one. He's the only character/actor in all the films to date, and perhaps more importantly he's the only one to actually remember the majority (I'm not sure about Apocalypse) of the films as we saw them. Even if they carry on doing past films it's really very much the end of an era for them in a big way.
It's a good thing you've not seen Apocalypse. The post-credits scene acts as set-up for this movie in a way that would completely misled you. It explains where they get Wolverine's blood (which you don't really need to know), but in a manner that invokes the name of Nathaniel Essex, so when Richard E Grant isn't actually Mr Sinister it's an even bigger swerve.
Everyone seems to think it's a good thing not to watch Apocalypse!

I must admit I'm not familiar with Mr Sinister (though if he's a classic X-villain I must have read some comics with him in) so it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Apparently Caliban was in Apocalypse as well, but as a very different type of character? You'd have thought they'd have learnt the lessons from the lack of cooridination between films that led to them needing to do a reset with DoFP in the first place.
I think it is a Good Film. But I hated Shane with a fiery passion (mostly because of the kid) so it loses points for reminding me that was a thing.
I think a rewatch at some point will probably help on a few things I wasn't clear on (either the sound wasn't very good on my screening or I Am Old).
SPOILER! (select to read)
I wasn't sure why Canada was seen as a safe haven (wouldn't the baddies just cross the border and carry on the pursuit as they amoral bastards? They were happy to go into Mexico after all), nor why they were trying so hard to capture X-23 alive when they only wanted to kill the kids anyway.
I was wondering if the Shane thing was down to Patrick Stewart, he's a big fan. When he directed The Next Generation's western episode he even cheerfully stole some of the shots from it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Mind, I'd say it really is as much of an X-Men finale as it is a Wolverine one.
Sidenote here about Logan working as a completely standalone film in a way none of the others do; divorced as it is from any real involvement with anything that came before (which isn't covered tangentially in dialogue).
He's the only character/actor in all the films to date
Pssst, he's not in Deadpool. Well, his face is, but he... look, shut up.
perhaps more importantly he's the only one to actually remember the majority (I'm not sure about Apocalypse) of the films as we saw them. Even if they carry on doing past films it's really very much the end of an era for them in a big way.
Point was that they've already backdoored the next generation of X-stuff (three movies down already, the next in production), with Jackman reduced to cameo stuff in two of them. Logan serves more as a curtain on Jackman's stuff than the era in general. If you want a grand finale for the entire franchise (as was), then Days of Future Past is it. Logan is more a coda for that specific character, and given Fox's approach to continuity then who's to say it can't be completely ignored down the line anyway.

Anyway, spoilers for Apocalypse tagged as follows, ref the "how much he remembers" question/
There's a sequence in Apocalypse where kidnapped 80s X-Kids are taken to the Weapon X facility, for no other plot reason other than so they can escape and in the process free Wolverine from his experiment-driven captivity. Jean calms him down with MIND POWER (or something, I've only seen it once and it's very boring) and he walks off mostly-nekkid into the Canadian snow.

In the post-credits sequence, somebody representing Nathaniel Essex turns up at Weapon X and grabs some vials of Wolverine's blood.
That's basically the extent of his involvement in the movie, so draw your own conclusions about how important "what he remembers" is to the overall... well, pretending Fox's X-movies have an overall plot/arc/whatever is hilarious, but let's go with story.
I wasn't sure why Canada was seen as a safe haven (wouldn't the baddies just cross the border and carry on the pursuit as they amoral bastards? They were happy to go into Mexico after all), nor why they were trying so hard to capture X-23 alive when they only wanted to kill the kids anyway.
The kids were being held in Mexico, which is where the company was based... and the pursuants are US residents. So presumably an immigration thing and once they get across to the next country then they become refugees seeking asylum rather than illegal immigrants?

Was quite muddy, could have been explained better.
I was wondering if the Shane thing was down to Patrick Stewart, he's a big fan. When he directed The Next Generation's western episode he even cheerfully stole some of the shots from it.
Tricky to say, though given the similarities in narrative and closing dialogue, I'd be surprised if its inclusion was solely because one of the supporting cast liked it. Would presume a happy coincidence until confirmed otherwise.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Shout-out to Kong: Skull Island's credits for ending with "X, Y & Z created by [whoever]" when they've not appeared in the film, effectively spoiling its own post-credits sequence.
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Aye but it's a set up for the next monster movie, before Kong fights Godzilla after that
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So I braved the bitter cold to hit the theater to see The Lego Batman Movie. And I loved it. It was a lot of fun. It was just the Ing to cheer me up in advance of the week ahead.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

If any you have seen the new Power Rangers movie, maybe they'll do this for one of the future movies
https://youtu.be/Z2pAHI9F_Mo
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

If anyone's not seen it yet, Get Out is fantastic.

Also saw a preview of Free Fire last week and that's great too.