Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:They've made about 482 different Caps over the course of the line, so finding one you like shouldn't be too difficult. If you're talking about the one I think you are, it seems pretty cool. They do so many Cap variants that I find it hard to get all that excited about any of them, though.
The one I'm interested in is below - I think it's a good mix of what I am looking for. Being pretty much out of the game since the get-go on these things there's a bunch of catching up to do. It'll probably have to wait for a while though, as I made another purchase (more on that later). Truth is, never even cared for Cap Am much before until I saw the recent-ish movies.
Warcry wrote:But Captain Britain, who just arrived in the mail, is bloody fantastic!
I had to look that one up... that's a great looking figure, even though I don't know the character at all (my comic experience is relegated to mid-late '90s, giant blank space, mid-2000's, mostly DC and Image). He's a beast! The color combo on that figure really pops too.

Speaking of 'giant' figures, I came across Colossus this morning... and couldn't say no. Compared to the Wolverine I just got, he appears to be rather massive but I haven't cracked him open yet. Always wanted the Uncanny X-Men figure from way back (the one that came with the big barbell) to go with the Uncanny Wolverine I had, but never got one. Now I've got a giant, updated one!
Attachments
51rjlvVrPrL._SY300_.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:The one I'm interested in is below - I think it's a good mix of what I am looking for.
That's the one I thought you meant. It looks like a pretty good figure.
ganon578 wrote:Being pretty much out of the game since the get-go on these things there's a bunch of catching up to do. It'll probably have to wait for a while though, as I made another purchase (more on that later).
Catching up can be expensive. Depending on what you're after, anyway. Some of the aftermarket prices can be a bit much, and if you go back to stuff that's more than three or four years old the quality gets a lot spottier. But luckily with guys like Cap, there's always going to be more of them coming out.
ganon578 wrote:Truth is, never even cared for Cap Am much before until I saw the recent-ish movies.
I think that's a pretty sentiment. Cap had really fallen down the pecking order of Marvel heroes over the few decades preceding the movies. There was definitely a feeling that the character was outdated, especially outside of the US where we tend to look askance at the brand of American hyper-patriotism that he seemed to represent. But the movies (and Chris Evans in particular) made him cool again.
ganon578 wrote:I had to look that one up... that's a great looking figure, even though I don't know the character at all (my comic experience is relegated to mid-late '90s, giant blank space, mid-2000's, mostly DC and Image). He's a beast! The color combo on that figure really pops too.
I only know Captain Britain from a few issues of Excalibur and a couple X-Men crossovers, and like I said I didn't care much for his outfit there at all. I'm really surprised by how much I like the modern look that they used on the figure. Like you say, the colour combo really makes it pop. In person, I especially like the two different shades of blue they used.
ganon578 wrote:Speaking of 'giant' figures, I came across Colossus this morning... and couldn't say no. Compared to the Wolverine I just got, he appears to be rather massive but I haven't cracked him open yet. Always wanted the Uncanny X-Men figure from way back (the one that came with the big barbell) to go with the Uncanny Wolverine I had, but never got one. Now I've got a giant, updated one!
Lucky! I don't think I'll buy up the whole 2017 X-wave like I did with the 2016 stuff, but I've definitely got my eyes on a few figures from the set. Colossus and Dazzler for sure, and Sunfire looks really nice too. 90s Cyclops would be a must-have if he hadn't gotten such bad reviews, but now I'm thinking I might be happier with the 70s costume version that's coming in that box set with Dark Phoenix later this year.

Was the Wolverine you had as a kid this one? That was one of my favourite toys growing up, but the elbows eventually gave out.
Attachments
b8fcba922745e836d415b1b5a9fae127.jpg
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:Catching up can be expensive. Depending on what you're after, anyway. Some of the aftermarket prices can be a bit much, and if you go back to stuff that's more than three or four years old the quality gets a lot spottier. But luckily with guys like Cap, there's always going to be more of them coming out.
I don't plan on getting too much, and I don't really have the funds to go crazy with the aftermarket. I'm staying in the $20-25 range per figure, at least that's my goal. The other X-Men outside of Wolverine, Colossus, and perhaps Cyclops (which you said is pretty terrible) or Gambit don't interest me. And after that I'd really only be after Cap, Iron Man, and possibly the Winter Soldier, if I get movie Cap. If I stay with those 4-6, I'll be in good shape (and my wife won't kill me).
Warcry wrote:Like you say, the colour combo really makes it pop. In person, I especially like the two different shades of blue they used.
Is one of the shades metallic? It looks to be in the pictures I have seen... it looks really sharp.
Warcry wrote:Lucky! I don't think I'll buy up the whole 2017 X-wave like I did with the 2016 stuff, but I've definitely got my eyes on a few figures from the set. Colossus and Dazzler for sure, and Sunfire looks really nice too. 90s Cyclops would be a must-have if he hadn't gotten such bad reviews, but now I'm thinking I might be happier with the 70s costume version that's coming in that box set with Dark Phoenix later this year.
I saw Dazzler and Sunfire at Walgreens yesterday. Didn't know who they were, and wasn't interested. Can always pick them up if you really want, but you'd have to shuck out whatever it would cost to ship on top of it - probably not worth it.

Got to open Colossus a bit ago. Nice figure, but kinda bummed by his arm articulation. The shoulder joints have a ratchet likeness to them, and the gauntlets are done as such to limit the wrist movement. Elbows are only single jointed too. Otherwise, he's a hulking lug, and he'll look nice on the shelf. Point of contention though... for such a big figure, it's odd that Hasbro adds in a second head and two BAF pieces, whereas Old Wolvie came with absolutely nothing. You would have thought with the smaller figure they had budget to spare. In that case, a second, younger head would have been cool.
Warcry wrote:Was the Wolverine you had as a kid this one? That was one of my favourite toys growing up, but the elbows eventually gave out.
Nope, I had the brown/yellow, non-moving elbows one. At the time, I had no idea why he came with a katana. When I was 11-ish I couldn't figure why he would need a sword when he had claws in his forearms! The removable mask was cool too, but it didn't stay on after a couple years of play.
Attachments
71pPd+MjdVL._SY355_.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:I don't plan on getting too much, and I don't really have the funds to go crazy with the aftermarket. I'm staying in the $20-25 range per figure, at least that's my goal. The other X-Men outside of Wolverine, Colossus, and perhaps Cyclops (which you said is pretty terrible) or Gambit don't interest me. And after that I'd really only be after Cap, Iron Man, and possibly the Winter Soldier, if I get movie Cap. If I stay with those 4-6, I'll be in good shape (and my wife won't kill me).
You sound like me, a year ago.

"Oh, I've only got a Spider-Man and an Iron Man. I don't really collect this stuff!

Oh, War Machine! With a spot-on Don Cheadle head! That's pretty cool! Oh, and Ghost Rider!

Wait, what, they're doing a whole wave of X-Men?"

And now I have 30 of the things and counting. :)
ganon578 wrote:Is one of the shades metallic? It looks to be in the pictures I have seen... it looks really sharp.
The lighter blue is, yeah. The effect is subtler in person than it is on camera, but it's definitely a nice touch.
ganon578 wrote:I saw Dazzler and Sunfire at Walgreens yesterday. Didn't know who they were, and wasn't interested. Can always pick them up if you really want, but you'd have to shuck out whatever it would cost to ship on top of it - probably not worth it.
Thanks for offering, but I learned my lesson from importing last year's X-Men. Legends stuff is almost never hard to find up here. Even stuff that's completely invisible at retail eventually winds up on Amazon.ca, usually discounted below MSRP and with free shipping if I buy more than one at a time. Even last year's Wolverine was available from them (albeit as a preorder) for several weeks. Sometimes it takes a few months for stuff to show up there, but off hand I don't think they've skipped any waves over the last year.
ganon578 wrote:Got to open Colossus a bit ago. Nice figure, but kinda bummed by his arm articulation. The shoulder joints have a ratchet likeness to them, and the gauntlets are done as such to limit the wrist movement. Elbows are only single jointed too. Otherwise, he's a hulking lug, and he'll look nice on the shelf.
I saw the single-joint elbows in some other reviews. It's a disappointment but not a surprise. It seems like a lot of the really big figures get saddled with single-jointed elbows, albeit most of those are the build-a-figures. And of course, none of the female figs get double elbows either. Which is a shame. Double elbows really should be mandatory now, even more than double knees.
ganon578 wrote:Point of contention though... for such a big figure, it's odd that Hasbro adds in a second head and two BAF pieces, whereas Old Wolvie came with absolutely nothing. You would have thought with the smaller figure they had budget to spare. In that case, a second, younger head would have been cool.
My understanding is that they cost these things out by the wave rather than by the figure. Since Wolverine is packed two per case, doing him without any accessories is probably what let them pack a generous amount of accessories with everyone else in the wave (minus Cyclops, though Hasbro probably accounts for his belts/pouches the same way) at the same time as including a big-ass BAF like Warlock. I still think it's kinda chintzy, but I can understand it.
ganon578 wrote:Nope, I had the brown/yellow, non-moving elbows one. At the time, I had no idea why he came with a katana. When I was 11-ish I couldn't figure why he would need a sword when he had claws in his forearms! The removable mask was cool too, but it didn't stay on after a couple years of play.
We've totally had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm getting a flash of deja vu.

Either way, the 90s X-Men line was awesome. I only had a couple figures (that blue Wolverine and a Gambit), but my cousins had a few as well and they were always lots of fun.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:You sound like me, a year ago.

"Oh, I've only got a Spider-Man and an Iron Man. I don't really collect this stuff!

Oh, War Machine! With a spot-on Don Cheadle head! That's pretty cool! Oh, and Ghost Rider!

Wait, what, they're doing a whole wave of X-Men?"

And now I have 30 of the things and counting. :)
That's the slippery slope, eh?

I did that with Star Wars Black Series a couple years ago... it all started with "Meh, I'm a 3 3/4" collector, who needs 6"... well, that Battlefront Shock Trooper does look mighty slick." Fast forward two years, and nearly all my 3 3/4" stuff has been sold off and now I have ~12 6" BS figures.

Now I just need to hold off the tidal wave of Marvel & DC figures...

But I think I'll need a Wonder Woman when the new flick comes out.:swirly:
Warcry wrote:Thanks for offering, but I learned my lesson from importing last year's X-Men.
I figured as much, but thought I'd put it out there. :)
Warcry wrote:I saw the single-joint elbows in some other reviews. It's a disappointment but not a surprise. It seems like a lot of the really big figures get saddled with single-jointed elbows, albeit most of those are the build-a-figures. And of course, none of the female figs get double elbows either. Which is a shame. Double elbows really should be mandatory now, even more than double knees.
It really needs to be a requirement.

I can maybe see why they would do it with Colossus, in case you're having him heft things/people around in your collection and need the extra tightness. In a way it neuters him, but not enough to make me dislike him. He's an absolute mountain on my shelf; Wolverine's head comes well under his shoulder, and the K-2SO I just bought (that's a head taller than Vader and Phasma) only comes to Colossus' chin. It's really darn impressive!
Warcry wrote:My understanding is that they cost these things out by the wave rather than by the figure.
That makes a lot of sense. I was at another Walgreens on my commute home (I miscounted earlier, we have 4 in the town I live in) and they had the whole wave. Amongst the two sets they had in stock, there were 3-4 Old Wolvies to 1-2 of everything else.
Warcry wrote:We've totally had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm getting a flash of deja vu.

Either way, the 90s X-Men line was awesome. I only had a couple figures (that blue Wolverine and a Gambit), but my cousins had a few as well and they were always lots of fun.
Come to think of it, I believe we have... or something very similar at least!

Old age must be setting in.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:soc gett pos
Typos my arse. At least I don't have to give anyone a prize now.

ANYWAY, my Soul of Chogokin Getter Poseidon is here and he is officially better than all of you.

Can't quite get the waist to peg in securely and I think I've pushed the head in too far, but other than that he is awesome.

I am happy.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lego Speed Champions 75877 Mercedes-AMG GT3

Liked the look of this, so I bought it. Decent parts count and build for your £13. Stickers are a pain in the arse, and I've stuck them on a bit wonky (as usual), but the end result is ace. This being Lego, its quite a bit more boxy and upright than the real thing, but it looks really good. I like the swap out nose, spoiler and hubs. Definitely one of the better sets from this line IMO.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

It's not as cool as Getter Poseidon BUT OMG MARVEL LEGENDS H.E.R.B.I.E!

Actual legitimate fully branded Fantastic Four merchandise guys.

Oh and it also comes with a Sue Richards figure.

The semi-translucent idea is nice in theory, but I wish they'd done more than most of an arm and a spare hand. Especially as it means you can see the (single joint) elbow peg in the upper arm.

Fairly underwhelming paint job, but there's not really a lot you can do with the FF costume, tbh. Also interesting that the box picture has the solid hand as a closed fist when it's actually a gripping hand. Ho hum.

ACTUAL FANTASTIC FOUR MARVEL LEGENDS GUYS.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Actual legitimate fully branded Fantastic Four merchandise guys.
Wait, people still care about the Fantastic Four? Between Fox and Marvel themselves, I thought the franchise had been successfully smothered to death. Which is a shame because they used to be awesome decades ago, before someone decided that them being a role model happy family wasn't cool, edgy or modern enough.
ganon578 wrote:I did that with Star Wars Black Series a couple years ago... it all started with "Meh, I'm a 3 3/4" collector, who needs 6"... well, that Battlefront Shock Trooper does look mighty slick." Fast forward two years, and nearly all my 3 3/4" stuff has been sold off and now I have ~12 6" BS figures.
I've managed to stop my Star Wars collecting with just Vader, Jango and a few troopers, but that's partly because they're just not all that good compared to the Marvel stuff. Hasbro's cut back on the articulation (elbows in particular) compared to the first waves and definitely prioritizes look over poseability, so the last few figures I bought just aren't all that much fun.
ganon578 wrote:Now I just need to hold off the tidal wave of Marvel & DC figures...
I hope you have better luck than I.

But something tells me you'll have 10+ of the things before the year's out.
ganon578 wrote:I can maybe see why they would do it with Colossus, in case you're having him heft things/people around in your collection and need the extra tightness. In a way it neuters him, but not enough to make me dislike him. He's an absolute mountain on my shelf; Wolverine's head comes well under his shoulder, and the K-2SO I just bought (that's a head taller than Vader and Phasma) only comes to Colossus' chin. It's really darn impressive!
I suspect that with big figures like Colossus (or the BAFs) they don't think that the double joint will be able to support the weight of the huge forearms. those little elbow pieces that connect the forearms to the biceps are pretty flimsy-looking, after all, and if it's just a single joint they can make it more robust. Understanding it doesn't mean that I like it, and I'm sure they could engineer around it if they wanted to, but it's nowhere near as egregious as the half-assed single elbows they slap onto all of their female figures.

But enough of that, what colour was that Wolverine you had as a kid? :glance:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Batman Movie 70902 Catwoman Catcycle Chase

Lego Star Wars 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack
Destruction is my specialty
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:ANYWAY, my Soul of Chogokin Getter Poseidon is here and he is officially better than all of you.
Sweet, I still need to pick up that one and Liger to go with my Dragon.

How're the treads on yours?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Super Gobots Cy-Kill

Awesome vintage die-cast robo-bike funtimes. Definitely like this over the 3" version - if only because there's less cahnce of parts getting lost. looks a dude in robot and bike mode too! I like :)
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:Sweet, I still need to pick up that one and Liger to go with my Dragon.

How're the treads on yours?
Not a clue. They're still in the package as I'm keeping him on regular legs so didn't feel the need to much about with them.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:I've managed to stop my Star Wars collecting with just Vader, Jango and a few troopers, but that's partly because they're just not all that good compared to the Marvel stuff. Hasbro's cut back on the articulation (elbows in particular) compared to the first waves and definitely prioritizes look over poseability, so the last few figures I bought just aren't all that much fun.
That's pretty true, and I've only scratched the surface of the Marvel stuff. I've got Rey and Kylo Ren on my shelf, and lightsaber battle poses would work infinitely better with double elbows. You can just barely get them to hold a saber with both hands. In an odd twist, the ANH Luke that I have is double-elbowed. I can only think they did that because he's got a fabric tunic on that hides it all.

At this point, my main goal is to finish up my main-ish cast of ANH (Vader, Kenobi, Leia, Chewie, 3PO & R2) with the 40th anniversary stuff and shut it down... though I did buy a few RO figures, so you never know. I keep hearing the brand new Vader that comes with the fancy display stand is the bee's knees, so I plan to upgrade.
Warcry wrote:I hope you have better luck than I.

But something tells me you'll have 10+ of the things before the year's out.
Well, there's a lot of year still left. ;)

Friday night I managed to get a Cable at Walgreens. Really nice figure, with nothing that I can pick out that I'm disappointed with. Nicely in scale with everyone else, great articulation and sculpting, great accessories, trigger finger hands. I initially hadn't planned on him, but I figured he's somewhat an amalgamation of what I was looking for - Cyclops' son (so now I don't really need Cyclops, which is a turd as it is), comes with awesome guns (so now I don't need Punisher), and has a cybernetic arm (so now I don't need Winter Soldier). Three birds with one stone, perhaps?

I also was (stupidly) lucky to catch the brown/yellow Wolverine for $23 on Amazon with Prime shipping (who already went up to $55 mere hours (minutes?) after I placed my order. He'll arrive Tuesday! Woohoo!

And Rogue is looking nicer by the day...
Warcry wrote:I suspect that with big figures like Colossus (or the BAFs) they don't think that the double joint will be able to support the weight of the huge forearms. those little elbow pieces that connect the forearms to the biceps are pretty flimsy-looking, after all, and if it's just a single joint they can make it more robust. Understanding it doesn't mean that I like it, and I'm sure they could engineer around it if they wanted to, but it's nowhere near as egregious as the half-assed single elbows they slap onto all of their female figures.
The elbows and shoulders on Colossus are really tight and well made, so that makes sense. The shoulders actually ratchet when moving them outward, too.
Warcry wrote:But enough of that, what colour was that Wolverine you had as a kid? :glance:
You're killin' me Smalls.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brend and co.: is Soul of Chogokin always obscenely expensive? I found out the other day they were making a version of the original Megazord but it's like $350 Canadian before shipping and basically the same size as a larger Masterpiece Transformer.
ganon578 wrote:That's pretty true, and I've only scratched the surface of the Marvel stuff. I've got Rey and Kylo Ren on my shelf, and lightsaber battle poses would work infinitely better with double elbows. You can just barely get them to hold a saber with both hands. In an odd twist, the ANH Luke that I have is double-elbowed. I can only think they did that because he's got a fabric tunic on that hides it all.
The fabric outfits really put me off of collecting the human figures.

(Well, the fabric clothes plus the generally poor likenesses, anyway.)

Even on Vader it was kind of questionable, but figures like the new ANH Luke and Leia just look silly to me, and Palpatine is outright hilarious. In general I just don't think that fabric works on six-inch figures for anything other than capes.
ganon578 wrote:At this point, my main goal is to finish up my main-ish cast of ANH (Vader, Kenobi, Leia, Chewie, 3PO & R2) with the 40th anniversary stuff and shut it down... though I did buy a few RO figures, so you never know. I keep hearing the brand new Vader that comes with the fancy display stand is the bee's knees, so I plan to upgrade.
I'd be interested in R2-D2 and C-3P0, assuming the new release of R2 is actually findable. Last time around he was choked out by stores full of Slave Leia and Greedo. Aside from that, I can't see myself dipping back into the Star Wars stuff unless they do a 6-inch Grand Admiral Thrawn.
ganon578 wrote:Friday night I managed to get a Cable at Walgreens. Really nice figure, with nothing that I can pick out that I'm disappointed with. Nicely in scale with everyone else, great articulation and sculpting, great accessories, trigger finger hands. I initially hadn't planned on him, but I figured he's somewhat an amalgamation of what I was looking for - Cyclops' son (so now I don't really need Cyclops, which is a turd as it is), comes with awesome guns (so now I don't need Punisher), and has a cybernetic arm (so now I don't need Winter Soldier). Three birds with one stone, perhaps?

I also was (stupidly) lucky to catch the brown/yellow Wolverine for $23 on Amazon with Prime shipping (who already went up to $55 mere hours (minutes?) after I placed my order. He'll arrive Tuesday! Woohoo!

And Rogue is looking nicer by the day...
Well, you've got good taste. If I was going to go back in time and only buy only three figures out of last year's X-wave it would definitely be Wolvie, Cable and Rogue. Cable in particular is probably my favourite out of all the Legends figures I own. The sculpt is super-detailed and the "cranky old man" face sculpt is especially nice, and so are the cyborg bits. I'm also really fond of the torso articulation, which is a lot smoother and more natural than what you usually see on a superhero figure. The body armour makes it really easy to hide that nice ball joint, and they didn't cheap out on the waist swivel like the female figures with that arrangement do. Plus like you say, sweet guns. Wolverine looks just like he stepped out of an 80s comic book, and has really good articulation too. And Rogue is really nice-looking, though she still suffers from the same articulation issues that most of Hasbro's female figures do. The leather jacket does wonders though, covering up some of the wonky proportions that female figures suffer from -- she doesn't look like she's got pipe-cleaners for arms!

Deadpool is really good too, but I don't really consider him an X-Men character even though he was in an X-Men wave, and I wouldn't count him as a must-have.

As for the rest...Kitty is neat and well-done. I like that they gave her a less-exaggerated physique and a "plain" face instead of making her look like an anorexic supermodel with giant tits like so many female figures. But if the character has an iconic costume (I would say she doesn't, since she changed them what felt like every six issues back in the day) this isn't it, and her power is impossible to capture in figure form, so I'd have no idea this was even a Kitty Pryde figure if she didn't come with a little Lockheed. Phoenix is pretty but can't ****ing stand. Iceman looks like he's made from soft candy, though he paints up nice if you're into customizing. And Havok is such a forgettable character that I wouldn't be able to recommend him even if he was great, because I constantly forget I even own one and every time I discuss the wave with someone, I need to check my shelf because I can't remember who the eighth figure was.

The Juggernaut BAF was really neat, but also so gigantic that I struggle to find anywhere to display it without seeming cramped.

[EDIT] And the new X-Men wave apparently hit Canada over the weekend, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Brend and co.: is Soul of Chogokin always obscenely expensive? I found out the other day they were making a version of the original Megazord but it's like $350 Canadian before shipping and basically the same size as a larger Masterpiece Transformer.
Getter Poseidon's my first direct encounter with the range. Cost me £120 (secondary market; no idea what it would have cost when originally released), and while it's about the same size as Masterpiece Prowl, it does far more to justify the price tag than any of the Takara Tomy stuff does. Great selection of accessories, hefty die cast parts, beautiful display stand. I could probably use this guy as a weapon to fend off an intruder if I wanted.

It seems to be one of those ranges where it's expensive, but for what you actually get you can understand why it's expensive. As with the Figuarts Turtles, Bandai look to be operating under the premise that if you're going to pay several hundred dollarpounds for a figure then you should get the best possible product for that money.

I'm not a huge fan of the original Voltron series (wasn't exposed to it at the right age), but if I were then I'd be fighting myself not to fork out the £300 that SoC GoLion is currently available for. But that's on the assumption that each individual lion is the same quality as Getter Poseidon. Which I'd expect they are, tbh.

I'd imagine that the Megazord is so expensive for similar reasons - it's five different SoC quality figures, plus the combination gimmick. I'm not the right person to ask, as I'm not a Power Rangers fan by any stretch, but I'd imagine in terms of materials and engineering and durability, it's probably the best Megazord you'll find.

I'd still recommend waiting for reviews though.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:The fabric outfits really put me off of collecting the human figures.

(Well, the fabric clothes plus the generally poor likenesses, anyway.)

Even on Vader it was kind of questionable, but figures like the new ANH Luke and Leia just look silly to me, and Palpatine is outright hilarious. In general I just don't think that fabric works on six-inch figures for anything other than capes.
I think the ANH Luke has a good face likeness, but you're right about the tunic, it has a tendency to be puffy and takes some adjustments. Kylo Ren's hood has the same effect that Palpatine's does where it just doesn't lay quite right on the head. Luckily in that case, I can just pull Ren's hood down and it looks fine.
Warcry wrote:I'd be interested in R2-D2 and C-3P0, assuming the new release of R2 is actually findable. Last time around he was choked out by stores full of Slave Leia and Greedo. Aside from that, I can't see myself dipping back into the Star Wars stuff unless they do a 6-inch Grand Admiral Thrawn.
I've seen the 3PO at Walgreens, and he's really nice. The gold works well and everything is really sharp. Didn't pick him up yet, as the stores around me are stocked well. I plan on getting either that one or the reissue along with R2 if I can find him. That will complete my 6" droids, as I already have BB-8 and just recently got K2. Not into shelling out $20/fig for other random droids like the GameStop exclusive R4(?) that's coming (the red one with a 'bad motivator' on Tatooine in ANH). If they make a 6" Chopper though, I'm in.
Warcry wrote:Well, you've got good taste. If I was going to go back in time and only buy only three figures out of last year's X-wave it would definitely be Wolvie, Cable and Rogue. Cable in particular is probably my favourite out of all the Legends figures I own. The sculpt is super-detailed and the "cranky old man" face sculpt is especially nice, and so are the cyborg bits. I'm also really fond of the torso articulation, which is a lot smoother and more natural than what you usually see on a superhero figure. The body armour makes it really easy to hide that nice ball joint, and they didn't cheap out on the waist swivel like the female figures with that arrangement do. Plus like you say, sweet guns. Wolverine looks just like he stepped out of an 80s comic book, and has really good articulation too. And Rogue is really nice-looking, though she still suffers from the same articulation issues that most of Hasbro's female figures do. The leather jacket does wonders though, covering up some of the wonky proportions that female figures suffer from -- she doesn't look like she's got pipe-cleaners for arms!
Thanks! Messed with Cable some more last night, and he's a great figure. The torso joint on Cable is more common on the Star Wars figures - for some reason their designs seem more catered to that joint, probably because all the superheroes are wearing spandex so it would be quite obvious. It doesn't even look that out of place on Kanan Jarrus.

The only disappointment I see with Rogue is the lack of anything to to with her. She doesn't come with extra hands does she? It would be cool to swap out the fists with something else, nor even a non-gloved hand would be cool.
Warcry wrote:Deadpool is really good too, but I don't really consider him an X-Men character even though he was in an X-Men wave, and I wouldn't count him as a must-have.
I think I'll pass on Deadpool, anyways. Nice looking figure, just don't really care for the character. Still haven't seen the movie yet though, going to do that this weekend.
Warcry wrote:As for the rest...Kitty is neat and well-done. I like that they gave her a less-exaggerated physique and a "plain" face instead of making her look like an anorexic supermodel with giant tits like so many female figures. But if the character has an iconic costume (I would say she doesn't, since she changed them what felt like every six issues back in the day) this isn't it, and her power is impossible to capture in figure form, so I'd have no idea this was even a Kitty Pryde figure if she didn't come with a little Lockheed. Phoenix is pretty but can't ****ing stand. Iceman looks like he's made from soft candy, though he paints up nice if you're into customizing. And Havok is such a forgettable character that I wouldn't be able to recommend him even if he was great, because I constantly forget I even own one and every time I discuss the wave with someone, I need to check my shelf because I can't remember who the eighth figure was.
I think Rogue is the only remaining one out of the group I like. I've seen Kitty, Iceman, Havok, and Phoenix all in the stores and haven't been impressed at all. All four look fairly unimpressive, even though their likenesses might be OK. Not even sure I would bite on any of them at $10.
Warcry wrote:The Juggernaut BAF was really neat, but also so gigantic that I struggle to find anywhere to display it without seeming cramped.
This is the only reason I considered finishing the set, but I think based on what you mentioned I will stay away. I'm already rapidly running out of shelf space.
Warcry wrote:[EDIT]And the new X-Men wave apparently hit Canada over the weekend, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!
Good luck hunting! (or using Amazon)

Speaking of hunting, I used Brickseek and a DPCI on the 40th Anniversary Darth Vader to find one at my local Target (had to get a worker to dig them out of the back as they weren't on the shelf).

It's a bittersweet purchase. The figure is absolutely fantastic! The helmet sculpting is dead on (much better than the earlier BS figure), the quality is great, the fabric used flows and drapes well over the entire figure. The hands have been redone, so Vader now has a 'Force Choke' hand instead of 'Force Push', and the new design can accommodate a two-handed saber pose. The paint apps are crisp too, and the boots are much shinier. The saber hilt has been redone too, and can be hooked onto his belt; the blade is made of better red plastic to boot. I'm very pleased with this rendition, as it's pretty much a perfect figure (single jointed elbows though :( ). If you already have a Vader though, this one may not sway you to buy another. The bitter part is the $40 price tag. Vader comes with a really neat display setting for the 'Original 12' figures that will all be done in 6" scale. It will be great for the ANH ones I have, and will probably use with a couple other OT figures (not getting a Tusken Raider nor the Death Star guy). Anyways, I'm really happy with Vader, just not the rest of it... yet.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I'd imagine that the Megazord is so expensive for similar reasons - it's five different SoC quality figures, plus the combination gimmick. I'm not the right person to ask, as I'm not a Power Rangers fan by any stretch, but I'd imagine in terms of materials and engineering and durability, it's probably the best Megazord you'll find.
I guess where I'm left scratching my head is that the Megazord is a very pretty design, but it's not exactly a very complicated design. The individual components are all G1-style bricks to one degree or another, even as portrayed on the show (which I'm assuming is what they're trying to replicate). Triceratops, pterodactyl and mastadon basically aren't supposed to have any poseability at all, other than the latter's trunk, so there's not all that much you can do to "premium" them up. And even the tyrannosaurus and the saber-toothed tiger can't go much beyond what you'd see in a standard $20 Transformer without ruining the look. There's lots of possible combined modes and the combined robot looks like it's got solid articulation. I'm sure the finish on all of the individual figures is really nice, but I just can't fathom what they could do with the basic design that could possibly be worth that much money.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I'd still recommend waiting for reviews though.
Fair enough. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out that Bandai came up with something that'll just blow my mind.
ganon578 wrote:I've seen the 3PO at Walgreens, and he's really nice. The gold works well and everything is really sharp. Didn't pick him up yet, as the stores around me are stocked well. I plan on getting either that one or the reissue along with R2 if I can find him. That will complete my 6" droids, as I already have BB-8 and just recently got K2. Not into shelling out $20/fig for other random droids like the GameStop exclusive R4(?) that's coming (the red one with a 'bad motivator' on Tatooine in ANH). If they make a 6" Chopper though, I'm in.
Yeah, 3PO looks great, but does anyone want just him? Without R2, it seems a bit pointless. Obviously there's a lot of folks that feel the same way, because all of my local EB Games stores are full of the guy.

And actually, speaking of droids, Black Series Episode I battle droids and driodekas would both be really fun. I'd imagine that the engineering required puts them pretty far down Hasbro's to-do list, though.
ganon578 wrote:Thanks! Messed with Cable some more last night, and he's a great figure. The torso joint on Cable is more common on the Star Wars figures - for some reason their designs seem more catered to that joint, probably because all the superheroes are wearing spandex so it would be quite obvious. It doesn't even look that out of place on Kanan Jarrus.
You're spot on, I think. Cable's abdominal ball joint looks really out of place on most of the superhero figures that try it. A lot of the Japanese manufacturers use it on characters that are supposed to be wearing skintight suits, and it never quite looks right. The ab crunch that Legends figures use blends into the sculpt a lot better even though it doesn't give the same range of motion as Cable has.

The Star Wars figures I own all integrate the joint very well, but then all of the Star Wars figures I own are armoured so it's not that hard to do. Most of them don't get the same easy range of motion that Cable has though, and most of them are lacking the separate waist swivel.
ganon578 wrote:The only disappointment I see with Rogue is the lack of anything to to with her. She doesn't come with extra hands does she? It would be cool to swap out the fists with something else, nor even a non-gloved hand would be cool.
She does come with an ungloved hand, actually, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "cuff" piece on her wrist will slide off to complete the look. It'd be nice if they made some villains for her to steal powers from in the next few waves, though. Most of the time I'll have her in flying poses using ghetto-rigged flight stands that I made from coathangers.
ganon578 wrote:I think Rogue is the only remaining one out of the group I like. I've seen Kitty, Iceman, Havok, and Phoenix all in the stores and haven't been impressed at all. All four look fairly unimpressive, even though their likenesses might be OK. Not even sure I would bite on any of them at $10.
Yeah, I had high hopes for both Iceman and Phoenix but in person they were really disappointing. The only reason I'd recommend them (or Havok) is if you wanted to complete the BAF, especially since a better Phoenix (albeit in evil colours) is coming out this year. And honestly you could probably get the parts cheaper on eBay than what they'd cost you, even on clearance. And Kitty is nice but completely non-essential even if you really like the character.
ganon578 wrote:This is the only reason I considered finishing the set, but I think based on what you mentioned I will stay away. I'm already rapidly running out of shelf space.
He's approximately the size of a Leader-class Transformer, if that gives a good sense of scale. Probably takes up as much shelf space as three or four regular figures.
ganon578 wrote:It's a bittersweet purchase. The figure is absolutely fantastic! The helmet sculpting is dead on (much better than the earlier BS figure), the quality is great, the fabric used flows and drapes well over the entire figure. The hands have been redone, so Vader now has a 'Force Choke' hand instead of 'Force Push', and the new design can accommodate a two-handed saber pose. The paint apps are crisp too, and the boots are much shinier. The saber hilt has been redone too, and can be hooked onto his belt; the blade is made of better red plastic to boot. I'm very pleased with this rendition, as it's pretty much a perfect figure (single jointed elbows though :( ). If you already have a Vader though, this one may not sway you to buy another. The bitter part is the $40 price tag. Vader comes with a really neat display setting for the 'Original 12' figures that will all be done in 6" scale. It will be great for the ANH ones I have, and will probably use with a couple other OT figures (not getting a Tusken Raider nor the Death Star guy). Anyways, I'm really happy with Vader, just not the rest of it... yet.
That definitely sounds like an improvement, but not enough of an improvement to be worth tracking down when I've already got the previous one. Especially at that price and coming with a display base that I'd never, ever use.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Picked up a Star Wars Black Series 6" AT-ACT driver. Just a white shoretrooper. Apparently I am a whore for shoretroopers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

burnitall wrote:Picked up a Star Wars Black Series 6" AT-ACT driver. Just a white shoretrooper. Apparently I am a whore for shoretroopers.
That's a good looking figure though! I thought about it as they had quite a stock at Target the other day. But I passed on it in lieu of the 40th Anniversary Vader pack.
Warcry wrote:Yeah, 3PO looks great, but does anyone want just him? Without R2, it seems a bit pointless. Obviously there's a lot of folks that feel the same way, because all of my local EB Games stores are full of the guy.
Right on point. I don't want a lone 3PO either, so I'll wait until I have R2. I think the recent novelty was that he was the first (not including the red arm version) 6" BS 3PO available, whereas R2 was already available. Indeed, packing him by his lonesome hasn't made the fandom go crazy.
Warcry wrote:And actually, speaking of droids, Black Series Episode I battle droids and driodekas would both be really fun. I'd imagine that the engineering required puts them pretty far down Hasbro's to-do list, though.
Probably not, but the battle droids might not be as tricky as you think. They did wonders with the thin limbs of K2, so that might translate well. I bet army builders would surely go for them. Super battle droids should be easy too. Droidekas, on the other hand take a bit more thought.
Warcry wrote:You're spot on, I think. Cable's abdominal ball joint looks really out of place on most of the superhero figures that try it. A lot of the Japanese manufacturers use it on characters that are supposed to be wearing skintight suits, and it never quite looks right. The ab crunch that Legends figures use blends into the sculpt a lot better even though it doesn't give the same range of motion as Cable has.

The Star Wars figures I own all integrate the joint very well, but then all of the Star Wars figures I own are armoured so it's not that hard to do. Most of them don't get the same easy range of motion that Cable has though, and most of them are lacking the separate waist swivel.
The armoring is a good point. It works fantastically on troopers. I think plastic molded baggy clothes helps as well, like Anakin's Jedi garb. There's a joint there, and it's well hidden. Doesn't have Cable's range of motion though, and like you mentioned, no waist to help.
Warcry wrote:She does come with an ungloved hand, actually, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the "cuff" piece on her wrist will slide off to complete the look. It'd be nice if they made some villains for her to steal powers from in the next few waves, though. Most of the time I'll have her in flying poses using ghetto-rigged flight stands that I made from coathangers.
She does? That's great! I saw some photos on Toyark of the loose figure and saw an ungloved hand, but figured it was something from another figure. Couldn't tell from the photos that it comes in the box. That also explains the lack of cuff on the forearm. That might tip me in the direction of purchase.

On my way to 10+ :nonono:
Warcry wrote:He's approximately the size of a Leader-class Transformer, if that gives a good sense of scale. Probably takes up as much shelf space as three or four regular figures.
It does. I barely have space for TR PM Prime & Soundwave, CW Megs & Starscream, and two Combiners as it is. And I plan on adding Sky Shadow to the mix too. Running out of shelves!
Warcry wrote:That definitely sounds like an improvement, but not enough of an improvement to be worth tracking down when I've already got the previous one. Especially at that price and coming with a display base that I'd never, ever use.
It really is a nicer figure, but I don't think it's enough to push normal consumers or more casual BS collectors for a second purchase. Vader has been a favorite of mine since I was really young, so it was a no brainer for me. The stand isn't really special, but I think it will spruce up my shelf a bit and help with some organization.