Is G1 simply the best?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Nah, Simply the Best was Tina Turner.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

I know the Transformers: The Animated movie was made in the 80's, a time of sex, fun, and freedom.

G1 Galvatron's arm cannon resembles a penis in both form and function. Was it meant to be a phallic symbol?

Is it possible that Hasbro was secretly trying to market to girls, just as Filmation and Mattel were trying to draw in girls by introducing She-ra in The Secret of the Sword the year prior to the release of the Transformers animated movie?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Young girls are drawn in by penises?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

inflatable dalek wrote:Young girls are drawn in by penises?
I was talking about girls who are of legal age, like I was.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I feel we are going to have to bring up kiss players if we are going down that road.

Wasn't it Freud who said sometimes a fusion cannon is just a fusion cannon? Or was that Froid?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Why do the Autobot and Decepticon Transformers that were at the beginning of the 1986 Animated movie seem better than the Transformers we got at the end of the movie?

Are the Season 1/2 G1 Transformers better than the Season 3/4 G2 Transformers?

Is it okay for me to think everything else is feces (eg. Beast Wars, Animated, Prime, Bay live-action movies, etc.)?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

You can think that, and that's fine, but you're cutting yourself off to a lot of fun stuff.

The '86 characters in the movie seem better as they got more screen time in 86 minutes than the enitre cast of the '84 - '85 seasons, so benefited from some characterisation. Plus, everyone else had been killed off and Hasbro wanted to push the new guys to sell toys.

I think S3-4 of the US cartoon are generally better than the first 2 seasons.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

The "Call of the Primitives" shows that Unicron was created by a small frog-like creature. This implies that the Unicronian Decepticons are probably not as well engineered. Galvatron did not get fitted with a proper helmet, causing the plasma to seep in and make him crazy. Megatron was not effected when all the Decepticons fell into lava at the end of "Heavy Metal War." Shockwave even said in "Countdown to Extinction" that Megatron was indestructible.

In "Webworld" Motormaster, Swindle, and Laserbeak threatened Cyclonus to his face that if he did not fix Galvatron they would get rid of all the Unicronian Decepticons, like they're were nothing. Motormaster even smiled at Cyclonus when he said this, like he was nothing to him.

And Cyclonus followed Motormaster's direct order.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...Megatron wasn't that indestructible, as the events of TF:TM bore out ;)

Haven't seen 'Webworld' in quite a while, but my understanding was that Cyclonus would be facing a rebellion from the rank and file Decepticons, unless they sort out Glavatron's mental health issues. Whilst Megatron did indeed survive a dunking in lava in HMW, this wasn't the same as the plasma bath Galvatron had on Thrull - The Rebirth also showed how dangerous plasma energy is to Transformers, so the comparison cannot be drawn.

As for COP, are you assuming because of the cartoon's take on Unicron being built by the ape-like Primacon that Cyclonus, Scourge and Galvatron are somehow weaker? If so, that's fine, but just opinion... :)

For an alternate take, you could refer to the comics and the characters own Universe bios that basically state that the 3 of them are tough and the power they derive from Unicron essentially augments their strength and endurance. Whilst not unbeatable, they are very much tough nuts to crack.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Whatever the personal preference of a toy or character, I thought it was a given that unicorn three are more powerful than the deceptions that came before though, right? Galveston in particular looked to be Megatron xl in toy and story description.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

It's just G1 Megatron in the cartoon was taller than his Decepticons in general, whereas Galvatron seemed to have shrunk in height. He's shorter than most of them.

That gives Megatron more credibility as a leader.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Hey, dura. How've you been?

*checks notes from the last time we did this*

Okay. Right. Let's see...

Galvatron's head was a crown. Megatron's head was a bucket.

So the answer is Beachcomber.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

I don't see how Galvatron's arm cannon could be more powerful than Megatron's fusion cannon which could channel the power a a black hole in the Marvel comics.

Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, their Armada, and the Sweeps can no longer draw power from Unicron because Unicron was destroyed in the '86 movie.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Dubious value in a weapon that's as likely to destroy yourself and whatever planet you're standing in as what you're pointing it at.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Hey, dura. How've you been?
Confirmed, incidentally. It stimulates discussion until folk get bored...
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Are G1 toys simply the best.

For example, Bruticus is probably the most remade Transformer ever. And yet, G1 Bruticus is still considered simply the best.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

G1 Shockwave, according to the wiki, created Megatron and may be more powerful than Megatron.

Is G1 Shockwave more powerful than Galvatron?

Is the Masterpiece Shockwave as good as the G1 Shockwave, which many consider as one of the best G1 toys ever made?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

The only thing I did not like about Megatron is the way he let Starscream talk to him:

I don't think Galvatron would have said, "You are!" to Starscream.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Marisa wrote:Are G1 toys simply the best.

For example, Bruticus is probably the most remade Transformer ever. And yet, G1 Bruticus is still considered simply the best.

I would say 50% of the original Transformers toys are good the rest are crap, due to being so fragile if you look at them the wrong way they break and very limited movement and possibly. Some of them can only transform (the Trottlebots and the Battlechargers) and even then it's so simple that you can be blind and still figure them out.

Now I don't like overly complex transformations either (like the Alternators) most the current Generations have found that sweet spot between transformations and having good possibility.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

I heard the Thundercracker IDW Spotlight is the best of that series, next to the Shockwave IDW Spotlight?

Is it worth purchasing?

Thundercracker was just one of Megatron's henchman in the G1 cartoon, so how could his spotlight be all that good?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

G1 Galvatron is a fascinating character.

In the IDW universe, is he more powerful than Megatron? Didn't G1 Megatron receive a reformat and upgrade from G1 Shockwave in IDW?

Don't the Decepticons still see Megatron as the Alpha dog, even when Galvatron is around?