Is G1 simply the best?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Are most G1 collectors even able to afford the G1 toys? There's so expensive. Is it worth it?

If fans were not able to afford G1 Omega Supreme which cost $100 back in the day, how can they possibly afford these Masterpieces, Combiner Wars, and Takara figures and re-releases?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Are there any G1 Shockwave fans in the house?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Who's more powerful: G1 Galvatron or G1 Shockwave?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Marisa wrote:Are most G1 collectors even able to afford the G1 toys? There's so expensive. Is it worth it?

If fans were not able to afford G1 Omega Supreme which cost $100 back in the day, how can they possibly afford these Masterpieces, Combiner Wars, and Takara figures and re-releases?

Well, given that most fans were in the 5- 10 age range in the 1980s, its unlikely many of us will have had sufficient disposable income to afford big toys and will have been reliant on parents/ relatives buying toys - which after bills and whatnot wont have been a high priority.

And now we're grown ups and have jobs and a little disposable income, we can either buy or save up to by figures we want.

In answer to your other questions, I like Shockwave and ...I'm sure we've had this conversation before, but Galvatron could more than likely beat Shockwave.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Marisa wrote:Can the G1 Predacons/Predaking beat the G1 Combaticons/Bruticus?
Yes.
Which is the better toy set?
As individual action figures the G1 Combaticons have slightly more possibility than the individual Predacons, but as combiners Predaking has more possibility than Bruticus but you can't alter the limbs around on Predaking though.
I like G1 toys Galvatron in his movie colors and G1 Shockwave. Both are equipped with electronics. Which is the better G1 toy?
Get the Transformers: Masterpiece version of Shockwave. Way cooler than G1 Galvatron or Shockwave also a lot cheaper.
Why can't Hasbro/Takara add more effects to the G1 toys, like what was done to the Star Trek: The Original Series episodes having modern special effects added to them?
They did. The show was called Transformers: Generation 2 and the CGI "enhancements" sucked.
Why can't this be done with all are G1 toys, cartoons, and comics?
Some of the G1 toys can't be reissued due to the molds being lost, badly damaged, or destroyed. That was because at the time Hasbro and/or Takara didn't see any value to keeping the molds in mint condition at the time and Hasbro and/or Takara needed to make room. Some toys can't be reissued due to stricter safety laws in the US that is why G1 and Masterpiece Megatron hasn't been officially released in the USA. If you do buy them online they have to be opened and then have an orange cap hot glued to the gun barrel and silencer. If you import them without the orange safety mods then you can get in some serious trouble with the US Government. The stricter safety laws is why G1 Fort Max couldn't pass a drop test in 2001 and that was why he didn't get re-released in the US with the 2k1 version of Transformers: Robots in Disguise line. You can buy an Encore version of Fort Max with no legal trouble just be ready to pay a lot for shipping and handling he's a heavy guy.

In some cases like with Jetfire they don't own the rights to that mold. Bandai originally made the G1 Jetfire toy for the Macross line in Japan and when Macross became the first part of Robotech in the US Harmony Gold, the owners of Robotech weren't happy that couldn't sell a toy based on the most popular mech in that series, but that is legal mess I don't want to get into because:
1) I'm not a lawyer.
2) It's extremely complicated and messy.

IIRC IDW tried to recolored the Marvel US Comics in their TPBs series but sometimes the recoloring made the thing worse than what the original colorist did and that is quite a feat right there. Some of it is the different artists (there were what 15 artists on the first 12 issues) with different styles and recoloring all 80 issues and all the mini-series would be expensive provided you can get a highly competent colorist would re-color over 90 issues and if IDW could get all of the original artwork back (which is highly unlikely due to be sold, lost, or destroyed by Marvel and/or the original artists themselves) or extremely hi-res scans for the colorist to work from.

As I mentioned above some of the episodes of the G1 cartoon were "enhanced" but it's distracting and offers NOTHING to help show.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Marisa wrote:How is G1 ranked #2:

and "Beast Wars" is #1?
Short version Beast Wars is a better show.

Long version: Beast Wars had a smaller cast of characters and thus the writers had to make show about the characters. G1 you could do episodes with specific characters like Powerglide, Preceptor, Beachcomber, Seaspray. Omega Supreme, Hoist, and Jetfire headline an episode but one (in the case with Host and Jetfire MAYBE two episodes at most). The rest of the time the show was busy introducing new characters before you knew the old ones. Beast Wars did introduce new characters but not at the expense of the original characters. Plus they were willing to kill off characters in the series Terrorsor and Scoropok were killed off in the season 2 premier and Dinobot's death is second only to Optimus Prime's death in TF:TM.

Beast Wars also crystallized ideas and concepts that the original series only hinted at or never really clarified like the Transformers scanning for their alt modes and the concept of the sparks were realized in ways that original series never quite figured out (they used references like life force, ghost, power cores, and etc) they also introduced the concept of protoforms, stasis lock, and CR Chambers/tanks. The show also used elements from the comics like Primus and the Covenant of Primus. Also the characters change and grow as the show went along. Blackarchina starts out as a typical evil ambitious fem fatal character to an actual heroine in her own right. The same with Dinobot as well. The show was well written and has a lot of twists and turns as one would expect from a show that one of show runners was Larry DiTillo, who was a writer and a story editor on another sci-fi show Babylon 5 for the first two seasons of that series.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

If Beast Wars was better, then why do the G1 characters dominate the marketplace (i.e. Toys, comics, movies, and cartoons)?

My theory is that G1 popped our Transformers cherries back in the 80's. It was our first love. It'll never be better than that, like the first shot of heroin.

Also, it's hard for us G1 purists to get past the look of the Beast Wars cartoon, the bad CGI. It was a real eyesore.

I also did not like the Power Rangers-like callout, for example, "Maximize!" That was really cheesy. It detracted from the credibility of the show, for me.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Why would I want a G1 Shockwave if G1 Galvatron is more powerful?

Did Takara/Hasbro make a Masterpiece G1 Galvatron with all the electronics that the G1 toy had?

I thought in IDW G1 Shockwave became more powerful than all the Decepticons. Wasn't he taking out everybody? In that continuity, isn't Megatron more powerful than Galvatron?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

What ever happened to Cyclonus' Armada? In the animated movie, Scourge was given the Sweeps to command, and Cyclonus was given an Armada.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Marisa wrote:If Beast Wars was better, then why do the G1 characters dominate the marketplace (i.e. Toys, comics, movies, and cartoons)?
They are often incorporated into G1 Optimus Primal won the fan contest to be in Power of the Primes line beating every G1 characters like Hound, Megatron, Star Saber, and Arcee

There have been new toys of Waspinator, Dinobot, Cheetor, Rhinox, and Rattrap in Generations line, and almost all of them along Tigertron, Airrazor, and Blackarchina have all appeared in the IDW G1 Comics.
Waspinator has also appeared in Transformers: Animated TV show.

My theory is that G1 popped our Transformers cherries back in the 80's. It was our first love. It'll never be better than that, like the first shot of heroin.
My first Transformers wasn't the same as yours and vice versa. I love G1 and always will but Beast Wars is where I became a Transformers fan for life.
Also, it's hard for us G1 purists to get past the look of the Beast Wars cartoon, the bad CGI. It was a real eyesore.
Some of the early backgrounds in the series hasn't aged well at all, but overall the characters and action scenes still hold up remarkable well. In some ways I think they look better than Transformers: Prime.
I also did not like the Power Rangers-like callout, for example, "Maximize!" That was really cheesy. It detracted from the credibility of the show, for me.
It's no more annoying than "Autobots Transform and roll out!" or "Decepticons Attack!"
Then may I suggest that you never watch Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Zone, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo, or any of the series in Japanese because they do that all the time.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

The gestalts make G1 simply the best: the Combaticons and Bruticus, the Predacons and Predaking, the Technobots and Computron, etc.

Transformers fans are virgins until they get introduced to G1.

Until they fall in love with G1 Omega Supreme, they don't know what real power is.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Marisa wrote:The gestalts make G1 simply the best: the Combaticons and Bruticus, the Predacons and Predaking, the Technobots and Computron, etc.
Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Beast Wars, Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, and Combiner Wars all had gestalts, and honestly I think the whole combiner/gestalt concept is kind of dumb outside of using Devestator as a lift to finish the Solar tower in "Master Builders" and as a battering ram during the Battle of Autobot City in TF:TM the rest are pretty stupid taking between 2-6 skilled warriors in to one dumb giant (except for Computron where his weakness was he was too smart) is just plain stupid.
Transformers fans are virgins until they get introduced to G1.
They are only virgins before they are introduced to The Transformers regardless if it's G1 or not.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

I was watching the launch of the Space Shuttle on the Science channel.

I noticed that a Space Shuttle needs Omega Supreme's Rocket form and Booster in order to get into space.

G1 Omega Supreme makes G1 simply the best.

The Combaticons consisting of all military vehicles forming into a super soldier that can level Devastator is frankly, brilliant. That's why they are the most re-released Transformers of all time.

The first, the original is what makes G1 the best.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Next to G1 Omega Supreme, is G1 Galvatron simply the best, better than all the rest?

And why is Bumblebee so popular when he's the smallest and weakest Autobot, and the weakest Transformer?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

So where do we stand on letting a boring troll post obvious bait endlessly? Leave it run as there's bugger-all activity and no-one's biting? Or shall I bother locking it? At least it's contained here. Thoughts?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Cliffjumper wrote:So where do we stand on letting a boring troll post obvious bait endlessly? Leave it run as there's bugger-all activity and no-one's biting? Or shall I bother locking it? At least it's contained here. Thoughts?
My remaining interest in the thread is solely "how many consecutive posts can it make with nobody replying" but people (myself included) keep buggering that up.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I do have the power to delete all other posts and very little compunction about using aforementioned power in such a stupid way.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If this is intentional trolling, it's the most weak-ass trolling I've ever seen. Closing the thread feels like a mercy at this point.

Marisa, if you're not a troll, you need to actually talk to people instead of just posting stream of consciousness rambling. And if you are a troll, step up your game. You're not even making people mad, they just kinda feel sorry for you.