Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

*uses Buy it Now*

*waits two days*

"Hi I'm paying in an hour will you post the item out today?"

Er, yeah probably.

"Okay I've paid."

"Did you get the payment?"

"Have you sent it out? Can I have the tracking number?"

eBay is awful these days. I can't even NF the ****er anymore for being annoying. Not that I'd do that... :glance:
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

So while the rest of the world is distracted by either Manchester or Trump being a dick in some way; the city of Marawi in Philippines has turned into a war zone because the police raided the hideout of a wanted terrorist leader. Who happened to have about a hundred other insurgents with him. Who then proceeded to take hostages of everyone in a school and a hospital and behead everyone they couldn't prove was a muslim.

Holy shit.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The news here has been depressing - a whole week of pointless "live" updates on nothing happening. The BBC were loving this as it was right on their doorstep- loads of reporters standing about in streets, loads of speculation and not actually a right lot to report on for most of the time, yet there we are witnessing endless ambulance chasing journalism. Special mention for the utterly tasteless questions asked of the head of hosiptal security at one of Manchester's hospitals; "what kind of injuries are you dealing with?" and today's Metro (from the makers of the Daily Mail) printing a ton of pictures of the dead; as usual they've picked out pictures of fruity young ladies to print. Tasteful.

Meanwhile, more interesting and important stuff happening in the world is ignored.

Dd like Theresa May looking utterly unimpressed with Trump at the NATO meeting though. Oh, and Jeremy Corbyn has thought now would be a good time to point out that terrorism in Britain is the direct result of our foreign policy. Not the best time, Jezza. Just as well as there's not an election going on.

It's all going to be okay, because we're going to censor the internet so that'll solve everything.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Speaking of tasteless reporting, how about the UK tabloids basically doxxing the white hat hacker who stopped the wannacry ransomware attack?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I was reading a follow-up story on the whole Indonesian crisis where muslims who do not support ISIS hid and smuggled out their Christian friends and neighbors, which is a nice bit of good news in these days of dread. I couldn't help but to mentally replace the word "christians" with "jews" in the article and it kind of gives you a good idea of what sort of folk the insurgents really are.

So how was the UK election anyway? :) I just saw some rather amusing candidates and some fella using it to say how Brits aren't allowed to make fun of the American elections anymore, only to be shot down with "well at least we didn't actually elect a joke". Heh.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:So how was the UK election anyway?
A still-unfolding slow-motion car crash. Hilariously.

Months after saying she wouldn't call an election before 2020, our PM called an election with the specific intent of taking advantage of perceived disarray in all the opposition parties.

This was done with the vindictive and selfish motivation of winning by a record-setting landslide, getting a huge majority which would enable her to pass whatever ridiculous bills she wants, and for the personal glory of "burying" the Labour party for good.

So confident was she of this that her manifesto was vague and vindictive and she seemed to think the idea of campaigning was beneath her; deciding to let her pals in the media run a character assassination campaign on her opponents instead.

So of course Labour experienced a huge swing in support (boosted by both a surge in youth voters feeling alienated since the Brexit vote, and by UKIP voters returning to the fold now that party's been rendered pointless), and the Conservatives lost their majority entirely.

They still won the most seats, but not enough to automatically form the government, and are now negotiating a coalition with the DUP in Northern Ireland. The DUP who are (checks notes) climate change denying, homophobic, anti-abortion creationists who are backed by a paramilitary wing who openly threaten people who won't vote for them.
And that's just the short version of who they are. This is after years of saying "you can't trust the Labour leader, he's a terrorist sympathiser" because he tried to negotiate with Sinn Fein 30 years ago (the political wing of the IRA, aka the DUP's opposite number in Northern Ireland).

So not only has she thrown away her pre-existing majority for no reason other than personal greed, she's had to stoop to negotiating with the worst kind of people in the hope of actually keeping her job. AND she's taken a side in Northern Ireland, which you just don't ****ing do (let alone the side of the one party who were opposed to the Good Friday Agreement), especially as triggering Article 50 has made the Irish situation even more delicate.

She's currently soldiering on and pretending that it's business as usual and none of it's happened.

On the face of it, a Conservative-DUP coalition is arguably worse than a pure Tory government, but it's such a ludicrously suicidal play that there's no reason anybody with their eyes open can expect this to actually work. She's basically made her entire position completely untenable, we'll get a leadership coup within the month and it wouldn't surprise me if we get another election later in the year.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Sounds to me like she pretty much shot herself in the foot, then tried to fix it by drinking bleach and hoping she can bluff her way out of the whole situation.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So this weekend I'm going to my cousins wedding reception which, for some reason, is being held 31 miles away from where her and her partners family live and is going to take me three hours travelling (two on a train there, one in a taxi back) and £100 to get there and back.

I've also discovered that Uber won't touch Ludlow with a bargepole, so hopefully the online taxi booking I did find will work out OK.

Aint family marvellous?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

Does anyone here have anyone here have any Transformers Masterpiece figures new in the box for sale?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Wrong thread for that mate.

Also thanks for bumping the thread, I realized I never did find out how that election worked out in the end.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I don't think we're still sure how it turned out tbh.

The most exciting thing I've done recently is go to my cousin's wedding in a tricky and hard to get to place in the middle of nowhere (three hours travelling all told). If anyone ever goes to Ludlow, don't rely on their local taxies. You either have to wait two hours for one or they don't answer the phone. Luckily I had one cousin who wasn't drinking so they came and saved me from failing at the last hurdle of my trip.

The taxi I pre-booked online to take me home at the end came all the way from Birmingham!

Still, got to wear my suit for the second time:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 0839369730
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That is a very nice suit :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

This place makes me feel so ****in' old, you guys. I'm so ****in' old now, this shit isn't funny anymore. It feels like ten years just flew by.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Elita-2

Post by Elita-2 »

This is why supervillains should be real. To exact petty vengeance in the form of inventing a giant reverse-tractor beam to push the Earth away from the sun so that summer no longer exists.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I enjoy reading threads that are basically lists of things people have done/bought/read/listened to, and no one reaches out to talk to anyone else about their interests, ever. :)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I enjoy doing a different unrelated thing, and won't engage with the previous poster or comment on her message at all!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I hope you are both well and having nearly-Christmas funtimes. I went on one of two works dos on Friday. It was good! I had funny cocktails that gave me a headache in the morning.

I try not to write lists ...but then realise I oftentimes do. sad face.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm making a list right now (of stuff I need to buy on the way home). I don't know what I'd do without lists. I think I'm a bit obsessive that way.

Our work Christmas party isn't until the 22nd. Much whiskey shall be had!

My little boy thinks that it's awesome to grab ornaments off of the Christmas tree. Hopefully that'll pass in a few days once he's used to it. Oh, and it totally BLEW HIS MIND when he came home last night and I had the decorations all lit up (something he's missed out on until then because he's been falling asleep so early). He had like a ten minute freak-out as he ran around the living room pointing out all the blue (his favourite colour) lights that he could find.

"Abloo! Aboooo! Blooo! Dada! Dada! ABLOOO!"

Naturally, we got a video so that we can embarrass him with it when he's a teenager.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I don't really get to buy a lot of presents with my meager budget so rather than buying everyone something cheap and useless, I tend to just buy a different person something each year, and this time I bought a friend of mine in Canada a model kit of the Zaku Sniper since it's his favourite MS.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:My little boy thinks that it's awesome to grab ornaments off of the Christmas tree.
Just don't go down the road of Elf on the Shelf. Well, you can, as it's kinda fun from time to time... until it's 11:30 at night and you realize you've forgotten to move the elf and have to come up with something quick before heading to bed. We've also found it's not too bad to move him around for the first week or two, but by the time the Dec. 20's roll around, we're out of ideas. The kids really enjoy it though. I already had Batman and Robin string him up from the mantle, and I'll soon have him climbing the chandelier chain to get away from Spidey.

Some people go way overboard with this thing; my wife and I like to keep it relatively simple.
Attachments
IMG_2109.jpg