Lost Light discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

That was one hell of an issue. I've been waiting for years for the Ten revelation! But this post is more directed toward Mr Dalek:

Hey man, I love your photos on Twitter with the talking Transformers (the one's in celebration of the run up to 300). Also, the pic of your tablet showing the cover of a Nic Roche Spiderman issue; that screen is beautiful. Can you tell me what model of Samsung tab it is? I ask because I've only just got into digital comics. I still get Lost Light in paper format, but now I'm willing to try other things digitally (I've started with Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Concrete and the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book).

I'm reading on my phone using the Comixology app, and even though the screen is small, its a fairly decent experience. But your tablet really makes the artwork pop! Are you using the Comixology app too?

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Just noticed on the second page that Fort Max is standing in front of Skids’ tombstone, but there is no statue of Skids standing on the tombstone. Is this significant? Does it mean in Necroworld speak that he’s not actually dead?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

A very strong issue. Lots of things thrown out there to mull over, although its a bit of a cliff hanger as the next 2 issues look to wrap up the scavengers (or maybe bring them to a point where they join the main cast perhaps)

Art was lovely on this I thought. I had worries we might see the old AM with super cramped panels but I thought he handled this issue very well.

Some niggles but I think more personal gripes than anything. Fangry getting dealt with so quickly and off hand was disappointing, I thought he was an excellent villain. Not super powered or anything, just vicious. Almost made more evil by being a lesser bot. Of course, he wasn't killed so we may see him resurface but I was hoping Cyclonus would find out what he did and have a showdown. Not necessarily a big arc but I think it could have played as a nice B plot. The killing of all the cons also seemed over the top. Multiple corpses and head shots there. Finally, Rewind being in peril again is a bit meh, but maybe that was the point.

The Tailgate thing is interesting. I thought his supposed demise was handled really well a few issues back and was different and just that bit creepy (and probably made me want to see Cyclonus rip Fangry apart) but I did hope it was genuine. It would be very brave if it was. But I cant help get the feeling that Tailgate isn't gone and that Maximus is mistaken in his assessment.

In other news, I've given up on the other TF lines. They've become very alligned with the mixed Hasbro universe that I just couldnt be bothered keeping track. It's a pity, I was happy to pick up 2-3 TF specific comics a week and the odd crossover would still get purchased for the sake of completion. But I think IDW have made a mess of something that didnt need it. I cant even say the Hasbroverse stuff is bad. I'm just not interested and when stuff in Optimus Prime is being referenced off to micronauts or mask.... I'm out. Pretty sure that when Lost Light ends I'll stop with the comics. It's had its ups and downs (and creamy middles) but the IDW era is heading towards a final sunset for me.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Auntie Slag wrote: Hey man, I love your photos on Twitter with the talking Transformers (the one's in celebration of the run up to 300). Also, the pic of your tablet showing the cover of a Nic Roche Spiderman issue; that screen is beautiful. Can you tell me what model of Samsung tab it is? I ask because I've only just got into digital comics. I still get Lost Light in paper format, but now I'm willing to try other things digitally (I've started with Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Concrete and the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book).

I'm reading on my phone using the Comixology app, and even though the screen is small, its a fairly decent experience. But your tablet really makes the artwork pop! Are you using the Comixology app too?
I believe it's a Galaxy Tab 10.1, if that helps.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Auntie Slag wrote:Just noticed on the second page that Fort Max is standing in front of Skids’ tombstone, but there is no statue of Skids standing on the tombstone. Is this significant? Does it mean in Necroworld speak that he’s not actually dead?
Having a statue on Necroworld means you're alive, it shutting off means you're dead (or otherwise undetectable by whatever sensors the Necrobot uses). If it were suddenly back on, then yeah it would mean something.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Unicron wrote:Having a statue on Necroworld means you're alive, it shutting off means you're dead (or otherwise undetectable by whatever sensors the Necrobot uses). If it were suddenly back on, then yeah it would mean something.
Yep, its the flowers around you that are the dead souls isnt it?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Yep, its the flowers around you that are the dead souls isnt it?
Pretty much. Contained traces of spark energy from those you killed/had a hand in killing.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ah, oh well. I had hope for a little while being a Skids fan!

I like to think Fangry is a fair threat, only Fort Max is not like most people (Prowl referred to him as something akin to a Phase Sixer on one of his good days). With his zero tolerance/maximum takedown approach, which I put down to Max’s three year torture-fest from Overlord (and Max was a tough guy even before that, based upon the Arcee spotlight).

I read Jack London's 'White Fang' recently. White Fang would take down opponents as quick as possible to ensure minimum damage to himself. I think Fort Max is a lot like that now. After seeing his friends murdered before him for the Aquitas codes, then having all his limbs ripped off and his brain Swiss-cheesed for every bit of info Overlord could get... I think he'd be inclined to deal with all threats as efficiently as possible now, a bit like the way he killed Deimos. Also Red and Cerebros had no trouble killing all those cons (a brilliantly drawn scene I thought, the two of them looked brutal). they seem happy with Max's style.

I agree with you on the other TF lines Dave; when the issues are in the shop I always give them a glance through the pages. I even got the first five TPB's in digital format of Robots in Disguise. None of these are well written or grab me like MTMTE/LL. Even Sins of the Wreckers was a bit of a hard sell when it had almost none of the pull of LSotW. It's not terrible, it just wouldn't have made me buy comics again in the way that Last Stand did. There's some proper trouser-shattering storytelling right there!

*Waves lighter in the air for Ironfist*
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Never thought of Max PTSD in effect there. That makes a lot of sense. He's almost taken on a reverse-overlord role there.

I don't mind Fangry being taken down easy by Max, but I hope its not the last we see of him. To my mind, if there is no retribution for Cyclonus or a resurrected Tailgate than it would have been better to leave Fangry out of the tailgate happen and just have an accident happen to Kaput topside.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Well, the arc isn’t over yet. Fangry appears to be a good one for bearing grudges and he may get his comeuppance on Max in a later episode!

“Ah, I remember when I got my arms and legs torn off, eyes smashed in and invasive needles drilled into every part of my brain. Best three years of my life. Made me the man I am today. It were standard practice back in school, them days. You don’t know you’re born, you lot”! (Max, probably)
Red Dave Prime

Lost Light #14

Post by Red Dave Prime »

And we're back...

Always nice to get a quick turnaround on 2 issues so this comes pretty quick after issue 13. The focus is on the scavengers and my guess is we are a strong pulling of all the threads together. There's a lot of callbacks in this issue to previous stuff. Not everything gets out-right explained yet but we get a good idea of whats been going on. Things are a little exposition heavy and the last major info dump felt like a spoon fed too many though, but the script and pace is good overall.

Art is a step down from last issue for my taste. It's no way a badly drawn issue, just not a style I've ever really enjoyed. I grew to see it as part of the charm of All are One but not certain it fits with the cramped writing Roberts scripts can bring.

Very enjoyable issue overall, lots of mystery to mull over. Lost Light is starting to feel like it has a more focused run coming up and here's hoping we are in for a whopper grand finale over the next few months and years. From the looks of it, this is either feeding into or maybe even the start of the main end game.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just got the last four issues on Amazon... yeah, it feels more focused. Not terribly keen on all of the mind wipes, distance having no meaning, etc, but am enjoying it again.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Denyer wrote:Just got the last four issues on Amazon... yeah, it feels more focused. Not terribly keen on all of the mind wipes, distance having no meaning, etc, but am enjoying it again.
I think that while it's still quite dense in terms of dialogue, it doesnt feel as rushed. The first 6 issues of Lost Light really felt like Roberts was trying to cram in everything he planned even if the right answer was to maybe drop some things and just leave them be. The alternate universe doesnt improve when read as a whole which is unusual and a pretty good indication that it didnt work. It worked through issues faster than Star Trek:Discovery (and thats fast)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Just seen that Lost Light 15 has Brendan Cahill on full art duties...

YAAAAAAASSSS!!!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Wow, that was a superb issue. There’s never been a bad Scavengers story has there? Perhaps because they’re so tightly confined to an issue or two, they have to move fast and the banter is usually great.

Very surprised by the ending, but surely there’s a trick to what we’ve seen? Its brilliantly brutal, but it would leave so many questions about Spinister and co. I also love the extra DJD panels. Always time for Tarn :)
inflatable dalek

Still a bit under the weather, so as a quick summing up:

Nice.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I love the way Shockwave had to get himself out of that situation. I especially like little extra details that feature every now and then; like Springer's eyes described as Matrix Blue in the Zero Point text story, or here, where Tarn describes Shockwave's spark as being so old: "... Little more than an echo of light". Gorgeous!
inflatable dalek

Lost Light 15.

Oh that Scorponok, always with a wacky plan.

I very much enjoyed that, all sorts of stuff paying off and coming together very nicely, whilst still focusing on the characters.

Loved the potentially bleak ending as well. Not sure it won't be resolved before the end, but if this is the last we see of the Scavengers, I'd be down with the ambiguity.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I've seen murmurings around that Lost Light may be winding down. No idea if this is true, but will there be enough time to resolve all the things that are hanging and seemingly of little importance?

- As Unicron (the poster) mentioned in one thread; Ore poofed back to Cybertron with the Metrotitan. This happened in the MTMTE Annual. Does this mean Ore is alive and well?

- When the Legislators attacked the Lost Light there's a panel where one of them has grabbed the Medical droid and crushed it a bit. Is this the same medical droid that had developed a 'thing' for Lockstock and Spoke? Now that Ten has been confirmed as having sentience, and a soul (something Tyrest denied the Legislators had), does this also apply to the Medial droid?

- Will we ever see Spoke & Lockstock? I've been waiting AGES for this one!

- Kaon was really worried about his pet Turbofox who is actually Dominus Ambus. Will this bit ever get more explanation?

- Spinister being a Ratchet-level medic who can write instructions to a non-Medic on how to reverse Lobotomies.

- A character mentioned Rung might have been a Decepticon in the past.

- Does Magnus/Minimus know Tarn/Glitch very well? And if so was making Dominus into a mad dog a really sick way of getting at him?

- Where are the guys who used to regularly post in MTMTE threads: Zigzagger, Knightdramon etc. They were good, did they fall off the Earth?

And so many more. These are just a few bits and pieces I'd love to see a resolution to before it ends/it never ends.
inflatable dalek

The current IDW continuity is ending after Unicron (the character, not the poster) has his event, and Lost Light is very likely (though no firm confirmation of anything beyond a Hasbro guy promising a reboot on a podcast) ending with issue 25.