Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Re: Movie thread, or; what movie did you watch last?

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, I loved the movie as a kid but it hasn't aged well. I watched it fairly recently and I found myself cringing at as many scenes as I enjoyed. And wondering how in the world I got away with watching it at eight years old with all the filthy innuendo that Penguin was spewing. There's definitely cool bits but the whole package is kind of a mess.

It's still better than all but one of the movies featuring Batman that came out after it, though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I still like Batman Returns. It does feel a bit all over the place, but I think I quite like that. It's definitely not a classic, but the bunch of arse that followed it make it look like a masterpiece.

X-Men : Dark Phoenix ...another failed attempt to bring the celebrated comic book arc to life. Where you should have cosmic jeopardy, you just get a load of awful 'don't be bad!we love you!' speeches. Worse thing Jean does when possessed by the, ahem, solar flares, is cause some property damage that's bad news for some policemen and an x-man. Part of the problem is with Jean Grey. She's just such a nothing character and bland beyond belief. Script is awful throughout and the closing scene is just... something vaguely positive to end the film on. Although Apocalypse was enjoyable hokum, this is somehow even worse than 'The Last Stand'.

Rocketman
Really rather excellent semi-musical which runs through Elton John's life and career, stopping at the point he enters rehab in the late 1980s. I'm not really into Elton John's music, but he's been a staple of showbiz over here for as long as I've been alive, so I was intrigued enough to give this a watch. Taron Eggerton is brilliant (as he was in the Eddie The Eagle film) as Elton and I like how he captures the flamboyance and attitude of the man. Good supporting cast (I didn't recognise Bryce Dallas Howard as his mum!) and excellent direction from Dexter Fletcher and good choice of stompers from Elton's back catalogue. I really enjoyed this and thought it was superb.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm still amazed they thought the Dark Pheonix thing hadn't been done well enough first time but got the same writer to script it.

Now, Batman Forever. There's a movie my fine friends.
elverimp
Protoform

Post by elverimp »

The last movie I watched was the Joker.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Aliens is like a lot of '80s action films - they're like evergreens, as fresh now as they were at the time.

I watched a really good crime caper with Helen Mirren and Ian McEllan in before Xmas, but I can't remember the name of it. Curses. Saw it at the pictures and everything.

I watched Fighting With My Family the other week. I like wrestling now and have a Paige action figure. I also watched the Spy Who Dumped Me. Which was ace. Although Kate McKinnon's going to have to watch she doesn't get typecast as the 'wacky' friend in everything.