I have a few questions I want to ask

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Celena
Protoform
Custom Title: I want to share & connect

I have a few questions I want to ask

Post by Celena »

I can't believe that Season 4 of TF Generation 1 ended with just 3 episodes titled "The Rebirth" which concluded the whole series. Why did the writers/creators of the show did that? Why did they ended the show like that just when TF fans was getting use to the Headmasters & Targetmasters theme?
Was it really ratings? I don't think it was since Optimus Prime is brought back to the show. I know that fans were really really upset that Optimus was killed in the 1986 Transformers the movie and fans wrote angry letters about that and demanded a return of Optimus Prime which they got receive in The Return of Optimus Prime/season 3 finale. I thought when Optimus Prime is back fans would flock back in watching the show again.
Was it really money issues? Did Hasbro filed for bankruptcy back in 1987?
Was it a writers' strike? Was it an actors' strike?
Was it lack of ideas?

There are other popular cartoon shows that are cult hits have more than 98 episodes, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 TV series) had 193 episodes and The Real Ghostbusters (1986-1991) had 147 episodes.

What was the real reason the show ended with 98 episodes? Ratings, Money Issues, Contract disputes, Writers/Actors strike, what?
inflatable dalek

Re: I have a few questions I want to ask

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yeah, ratings basically. As well loved as it is now, the failure of the film (and in particular how the series 3 assumes everyone has seen the film and loved it) kicked the legs out from under the whole thing.

Something short to pimp out the 87 toys was probably pushed for by Hasbro. And we do know David Wise came up with a five part outline before being told to cut it down to three.
Denyer

Re: I have a few questions I want to ask

Post by Denyer »

Different world in many respects -- it was was normal to rest things and move on to others, even with viewing or reading audiences that companies would kill for now. The comics went the same way. Toy tie-in material wasn't something that carried much if any kudos with Marvel staffers, although some of them seem to have enjoyed the relatively free rein --

https://screencrush.com/transformers-an ... ospective/