[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Warcry wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 am Now that I've had a chance to dive into in, yeah, this is great. I want to say it feels like a someone mashed up the best parts of Arkham City with one of the earlier Assassin's Creed games, but that really doesn't do it justice. The combat is much more varied and fluid than anything either of those franchises offers (the amount of moves at Spidey's disposal is amazing) and the overworld boggles the mind. It's so huge and alive-feeling, and basically everything that Rocksteady failed to do with Gotham in Arkham Knight.
I think the thing I like most about the combat (and why I liken it to Arkham) is the way that, even though Spidey himself is crazy agile and light, the combat itself feels heavy and really connects. It's even enjoyable just walking the streets and high-fiving people and taking selfies!
Warcry wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 am They had me at "NAZIS made out of BEES!", personally. I'm not super up to date on the Spidey side of the Marvel universe but it really feels like I'm zipping around their version of NYC.
I'm not really a massive Marvel fan (besides the MCU) as I much prefer DC Comics' output but I know enough of the history to really appreciate the level of details and nuance they've put into NYC
Warcry wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 am Oh hell yes, the web-sliinging is probably half the fun here. More than once I've completely overshot my destination by a quarter mile because I was enjoying myself so much swiging around that I forgot what I was doing.

Another quarter of the fun is JJJ cutting in at random with another insane podcast rant.
I found myself plotting courses to get to my objective based around grabbing collectables on the way even if it meant actually going all around the particular suburb in the opposite direction making a 30 second journey a good few minutes! J. Jonah Jameson's "podcast" is superb and reactionary to the world and I found myself stopping just to catch what he was ranting about before hitting an objective.

Really can't recommend the game highly enough (if you can't already tell!) just don't get me started about God of War ;)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 am To be honest, I enoyed (and still enjoy) the 360/PS3/Wii generation of consoles a whole heck of a lot more than anything the modern era has to offer. It just seems like there was so much more creativity in those days.
I agree; the variety from the PS3/X360 era was astounding. Now I see titles for the PS4 and simply wait since they will inevitably drop to $20-30 within months of time. Paying $60 for a game that will likely be a pretty, but derivative of something that came before is hard to justify (though I just bought a $60 remake of Link's Awakening, so take that with a grain of salt...)

At any rate, I had an Amazon gift card from Christmas that was burning a hole in my pocket. So I picked up a game (that somehow I hadn't known existed) for my PS4: theHunter: Call of the Wild. As bad as hunting games can be (they typically teeter into the country/rock/hillbilly/redneck arcade fare) I usually enjoy them. The more 'sim' ones that is. Holy cow does this game scratch that itch! The environments are beautiful & large, and the hunts are fun! The animal 'physics' are actually realistic, compared to the Cabela's games I have played. Those will usually have a large deer crumpling like a rag doll when hit by a bullet, and go off skidding 10 feet. From a shot 200 yards away. The animals in theHunter actually display that they're injured, trot off a few yards or so (depending on your shot) and then fall. Sometimes you have to track the blood trail to find them when they're down. It's surprisingly well done. I'll actually find myself slowly tracking animals for 30 minutes, just to not scare them off. It's a slow, plodding, serene game, and I can't stop playing it.

I've got Hunting Simulator coming for the Switch as well. We'll see how that one stacks up against theHunter (now considered my all time favorite hunting game). The advantage there is being able to hunt on-the-go.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE 2K20, Borderlands 3 plus steelbook & Nights Into Dreams.

WWE 2K20 was half-price at Big W.

Borderlands 3 was half-price at EB Games and included the steelbook as an extra.

I found Nights Into Dreams at my local Cash Converters for a very reasonable price.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:38 pm I think the thing I like most about the combat (and why I liken it to Arkham) is the way that, even though Spidey himself is crazy agile and light, the combat itself feels heavy and really connects.
That's a really good way to describe it. I think the basic mechanics work better than Arkham's do, though. The controls feel much more accurate and precise, and success is much less driven by building up a ridiculous combo score.

In Arkham, if you had a good freeflow going Batman felt almost invincible...unless the inaccurate controls send you flying 20 yards past the guy you meant to attack, breaking your combo as Batman senselessly punches at a riot shield minion you didn't even know was there. And then you helplessly get lit up for the next ten seconds until you get another combo going, or they kill you. But Spidey doesn't feel so all-powerful when he's got a full focus bar, and nor does he feel as helpless as a kitten when you make a mistake. It makes the fights feel more natural, and even when you're doing well you still need to be careful.
ganon578 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 pm I agree; the variety from the PS3/X360 era was astounding. Now I see titles for the PS4 and simply wait since they will inevitably drop to $20-30 within months of time. Paying $60 for a game that will likely be a pretty, but derivative of something that came before is hard to justify (though I just bought a $60 remake of Link's Awakening, so take that with a grain of salt...)
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've actually paid full price for a current-gen game so far. Anything worth playing is going to sell enough that it'll get a $20-$40ish "GOTY" production run a year or two after launch and be readily available for a long time at a reduced price.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 amNow that you mention it, I don't think I've actually paid full price for a current-gen game so far. Anything worth playing is going to sell enough that it'll get a $20-$40ish "GOTY" production run a year or two after launch and be readily available for a long time at a reduced price.
Yep. I haven't bought Spider-Man, God of War, or Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order simply because I'll get them when they go cheap. I've also loved Mortal Kombat 11 so much on the Switch that I will inevitably get it for PS4 for the graphical upgrade. But, I have no drive to redo all of the Krypt Events and/or grinding, so I hope they come out with a 'Komplete Edition' for cheap so I can scoot around all that. I have no interest in paying $90 for the 'Premium' edition when I already did that on Switch (albeit for ~1/2 the cost).

As it is, I picked up a Glacier White PS4 controller to have two controllers. Now I have a Darth Vader themed one, and one that looks like a Stormtrooper to go with it. :D It's not quite as white as the pictures lead me to believe, but I still like it.

Additionally, I bought Doom (2016) on the PS4 while it was still dirt cheap ($6!!!) during the PSN holiday sale.

I also bought some DLC for theHunter: the Tripods & Treestands pack, the High Tech Hunting Gear pack (night vision binocs, scope, and a fancy bow with GPS tracking arrows), and the Yukon Valley map. Over time and on sale, I plan on getting all the maps for this game. I still haven't finished the first map (25 square miles of hunting area!), but I'm having a blast with it.

Hunting Simulator on the Switch came in, and it's pretty good. Definitely not as good as theHunter, and animals scare ridiculously easily. Get a good shot though, and they drop like sacks of potatoes, much like the Cabela's games. Either way, it's good for 'hunting' on the go.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I'm virtually done with Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, barring the DLC levels and an achievement that didn't unlock when it should.

I will now take a break from it and move on to Gears Of War: Judgment.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Ark is on sale again on Steam if anyone wants to play. It's massive and very much unoptimized but fun. I'm playing on a very chill unofficial PVE server and I could use some tribemates! :swirly:

Just bought Life is Feudal: Forest Village and Littlewood in the Steam sale, because I enjoy being a filthy casual sim game player.

I rlly rlly want to buy Temtem. Another time I suppose.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Darksiders 3 - Bought while at half-price from EB Games.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition on PS Store. It was 60% off. The graphical upgrade from Switch to PS4 is great, and it'll be good to play this with friends. The Switch one is great for travel.

theHunter also had more DLC on sale, so I picked up Medved Taiga, Cuatro Colinas, and Parque Fernando. The only map I am missing now is Vurhonga Savanna. We'll see if it goes on sale in a couple weeks.

And I see Spider-man is up for $20 on the PS Store. Might have to grab that. (not that I have time to play it will all these games I bought!)
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

ganon578 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:47 pm And I see Spider-man is up for $20 on the PS Store. Might have to grab that. (not that I have time to play it will all these games I bought!)
Do it, you won't regret it!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, Spidey is easily worth dropping $20 on! It's kept me busy for a month and I'm pretty sure the content will run out before my interest does. I think it might be the best game I've played in a decade or more.
Sades

Post by Sades »

ganon578 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 pm
At any rate, I had an Amazon gift card from Christmas that was burning a hole in my pocket. So I picked up a game (that somehow I hadn't known existed) for my PS4: theHunter: Call of the Wild. As bad as hunting games can be (they typically teeter into the country/rock/hillbilly/redneck arcade fare) I usually enjoy them. The more 'sim' ones that is. Holy cow does this game scratch that itch! The environments are beautiful & large, and the hunts are fun! The animal 'physics' are actually realistic, compared to the Cabela's games I have played. Those will usually have a large deer crumpling like a rag doll when hit by a bullet, and go off skidding 10 feet. From a shot 200 yards away. The animals in theHunter actually display that they're injured, trot off a few yards or so (depending on your shot) and then fall. Sometimes you have to track the blood trail to find them when they're down. It's surprisingly well done. I'll actually find myself slowly tracking animals for 30 minutes, just to not scare them off. It's a slow, plodding, serene game, and I can't stop playing it.
I somehow missed this. I also like hunting (and fishing) games, and I also bought The Hunter (PC) awhile back when it was on sale on Steam.
I agree with all of the above, though eventually crawling through the bush got a bit too boring for me and I didn't get very far with it. I also was very interested in the concept of an in-game Trophy Lodge, but the reality was a bit lacking, I thought.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWF Rage In The Cage (Sega Mega CD) - A part of my run to collect wrestling video games.

Resident Evil 4 - I bought it kind of on a whim after watching a Let's Play of it on Twitch.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm Do it, you won't regret it!
Warcry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 am Yeah, Spidey is easily worth dropping $20 on! It's kept me busy for a month and I'm pretty sure the content will run out before my interest does. I think it might be the best game I've played in a decade or more.
Yep, bought Spidey on PS4. Haven't played it yet because of time, but I'll be glad I picked it up on the cheap when I get around to playing.
Sades wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 am I somehow missed this. I also like hunting (and fishing) games, and I also bought The Hunter (PC) awhile back when it was on sale on Steam.
I agree with all of the above, though eventually crawling through the bush got a bit too boring for me and I didn't get very far with it. I also was very interested in the concept of an in-game Trophy Lodge, but the reality was a bit lacking, I thought.
I can see what you mean. My wife isn't a gamer, and this game bores the crap out of her. She's basically fell asleep the other night listening to 'nature' sounds. On the other hand, my kids really enjoy watching me hunt, and get excited to track a wounded animal. Slowly plodding can get a bit boring, though the game gets a bit easier with some time and new gear. The buildable hunting blinds and the hunting tripods help a lot.

I enjoy a good fishing game too, but I haven't tried any of the more modern games like Pro Fishing Simulator, Fishing Sim World Pro Tour, or Fishing Planet. Don't know if they're really any good or not. Though I think Fishing Planet is 'free-to-play'?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I got Resident Evil 2: Remake and I got Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for my PS4 yesterday. and I just ordered off Amazon today: Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate II: The Enhanced Edition for my Xbox One and Shadow of the Tomb Raider: The Complete Edition for my PS4.

Now my concern is having enough space on PS4's HD for Shadow of the Tomb Raider: The Complete Edtion because I had to delete 2 games to make room for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and all of the DLC for it and I just barely got it on there.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I can see what you mean. My wife isn't a gamer, and this game bores the crap out of her. She's basically fell asleep the other night listening to 'nature' sounds. On the other hand, my kids really enjoy watching me hunt, and get excited to track a wounded animal. Slowly plodding can get a bit boring, though the game gets a bit easier with some time and new gear. The buildable hunting blinds and the hunting tripods help a lot.

Yeah, I go back to it every once in awhile. It does scratch that hunting game itch fairly well.

I enjoy a good fishing game too, but I haven't tried any of the more modern games like Pro Fishing Simulator, Fishing Sim World Pro Tour, or Fishing Planet. Don't know if they're really any good or not. Though I think Fishing Planet is 'free-to-play'?
I haven't either! I've been wanting to buy one but my memory of playing them in the late 90's- early 00's has me wary, as I seem to remember the quality varying wildly. I've found the one you mentioned, it is indeed free. I'll probably give it a go. :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

God Of War (PS4) Steelbook Edition - I had been looking around for a copy with the steelbook and finally found one.

WWF Super Mega Drive (SMD) - Another one for my wrestling video game collection, bought rather cheap too.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

DOOM Eternal JB Edition - This special edition comes with both a steelbook and download code for Doom 64.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Another sale, another dip into the wallet!

Fishing Sim World Pro Tour (PS4) + Lake Dylan DLC: Haven't played it just yet, but the price was right and it has decent reviews. I haven't been too excited about Fishing Planet since it requires a constant internet connection and it's basically shore fishing (unless I want to shell out $ for boats), so this seemed like a good alternative. Lake Dylan was also on sale, and features visuals and fish from Minnesota, so as a Michigan native this was a no-brainer. Now to go catch some northern pike!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Did I mention Animal Crossing?

Because ANIMAL CROSSING.

Why do real chores when you can do fake video game chores for a Raccoon you are in debt to! \o/