Book Me, Dano.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

Re: Book Me, Dano.

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 amWhere did you drop off from reading them?
About the same. Never really got through the Typhon Pact stuff properly, and got a bit pissy about an author being allowed to reset characters and "rest" Scotty with Indistinguishable From Magic (haven't read it yet -- there are claims much of this was editorial interference). Bacco subsequently apparently getting similar treatment very much stilted interest in the main universe stuff, although as I say will probably work backwards.

Dipped into new Voyager a bit, do mean to catch up with Titan at some point, and can't remember if I read the third part of the last New Frontier ebook because the rest was so generic/bad. Thoroughly enjoyed the DTI stuff and have just discovered there's a third ebook-only release of that I haven't read.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Unicron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:39 pm The only problem I have with the book is Rebels and the Sequel Trilogy. Thanks to the show writing Thrawn out of things and Thrawn not having reappeared in the movies, I doubt we're going to get satisfactory follow-ups (if any at all) to the Chiss and Grysk. I know there's the time gap between ROTJ and TFA they could slot stuff into but meh.
Shrug? I don't care enough about canon to worry about that, so I'm just going to pretend that this trilogy was a prequel to Heir to the Empire and disregard all the various contradictions. :)
Denyer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pmAbout the same. Never really got through the Typhon Pact stuff properly, and got a bit pissy about an author being allowed to reset characters and "rest" Scotty with Indistinguishable From Magic (haven't read it yet -- there are claims much of this was editorial interference). Bacco subsequently apparently getting similar treatment very much stilted interest in the main universe stuff, although as I say will probably work backwards.
Indistinguishable From Magic was actually the book I had in mind when I muttered about "bizarre fanboy wish-fulfillment". I mean, what was the pitch? "What if...we put ALL the engineers on one ship, even though they're all busy in their own ongoing series? And what if it was the ship that Geordi was captain of in that one alternate-future Voyager episode? And what if Geordi scored with that hot chick he creeped on in the holodeck twenty years ago? And what if he found out what happened to his mom, who disappeared in one episode of the old TV show? Oh, and what if we included Matt Frewer? He used to be cool! And we'll make sure to promote Geordi at the end of the book so it feels like he's progressed as a character, but don't worry, that can be handwaved away in the next instalment."

I was actually really excited for the book, because socially-awkward, underappreciated Geordi is someone I can definitely identify with. And NO ONE ever wants to write about him. So a novel with him as the hero should have a lot of appeal for me, but the tone of the thing was so off-kilter that I found it hard to enjoy. I've long assumed that editorial meddling played a big role in how it turned out.
Denyer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pmDipped into new Voyager a bit, do mean to catch up with Titan at some point, and can't remember if I read the third part of the last New Frontier ebook because the rest was so generic/bad. Thoroughly enjoyed the DTI stuff and have just discovered there's a third ebook-only release of that I haven't read.
Even though I really didn't like Voyager on TV, I gave the books a try and I was enjoying them quite a bit right up until they brought Janeway back from the dead. After that I gave up pretty much on principle.

Titan's only ever worked for me when Christopher L. Bennett was writing the series. No one else ever seemed to grasp the distinction between telling us that the ship's diverse crew was an asset and showing us how. He's the one who wrote the DTI stuff, right? So maybe I should give that a try.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars Dooku: Last Jedi - This appears to be formatted more like a script than an actual novel.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Just finished my first reread of the Hitch-hikers books in a decade (I know because there was still a receipt from 2009 in there).

Still love the first three and the fourth is trying something different at least.

But boy is Mostly Harmless one of the most depressing and cynical books I've ever read. It's so miserable and down about the whole thing before its mean spirited ending.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars: Allegiance graphic novel & Star Wars: Resistance Reborn - These are both part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker publishing program.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars: Force Collector & Star Wars: Spark of the Resistance - Both books are part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker publishing program.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Transformers The Manga Volume 1 - Found this at my local bookstore and it's only the second Transformers book I have ever seen there, with the other one being Optimus Prime Volume 1.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Guinness World Records 2020 - Felt like updating from my previous edition which was several years ago.

Batman: Arkham Knight: Genesis - Need to read this and a few other books in this line before I can play the game.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars Character Encyclopedia - Includes Solo movie Darth Maul.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Batman Arkham Knight Volumes 2 and 3 - Once I've read these I'll be able to play the video game.

Transformers The Manga Volume 2 - Also bought this one at my local bookstore.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire - A novelization of the video game.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

HeavyArms wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:49 am Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire - A novelization of the video game.
It's actually not, not really. The book and the game are parts of the same story, but they cover almost entirely different parts of that story. Probably less than a quarter of what's in the game is covered by the book and vice versa, if I'm remembering right. It's been ages since I fired up the game on my N64, but I actually read the book again about a year ago and it's a really good read. It's mostly about Luke, Leia, Lando and Vader though. Dash Rendar is in the book, but he's more of a supporting character rather than being the protagonist like in the game.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Warcry wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 pm
HeavyArms wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:49 am Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire - A novelization of the video game.
It's actually not, not really. The book and the game are parts of the same story, but they cover almost entirely different parts of that story. Probably less than a quarter of what's in the game is covered by the book and vice versa, if I'm remembering right. It's been ages since I fired up the game on my N64, but I actually read the book again about a year ago and it's a really good read. It's mostly about Luke, Leia, Lando and Vader though. Dash Rendar is in the book, but he's more of a supporting character rather than being the protagonist like in the game.
Oh cool, well the front cover just mentions that it's a novelization based on the game. But if it's mostly original than that's much better.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice: Gods Among Us: The Complete Year Two - Bought from eBay, has a small amount of water damage.

Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage - Also from eBay.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice: Gods Among Us: The Complete Year Four.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year One - The Complete Collection.

Mortal Kombat X Vol. 1.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers volumes 1-8 - Bought from a Facebook Power Rangers Marketplace listing.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five - The Complete Collection - For some reason this is was posted out but not the Year Three book that it was ordered with.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three - The Complete Collection - This is the second half of the Injustice order I made.

Still waiting on an order for some Mortal Kombat books I ordered a week before this one.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Transformers The Manga Volume 3 - Bought from a local book store.