Clay's review of: RM-18 Road RocketName:
The latest releases for the Robotmasters line consist of more repainted G2 molds. This time, instead of Cyberjets, we've got the much more thoroughly-used Lasercycles.
I didn't have any of the previous releases of these two molds, so I went ahead and picked both up. I was fairly happy and underwhelmed at the same time.Vehicle Mode:
Road Rocket is some kind of Japanese street bike. He hides the robot mode reasonably well, and he has enough space on him to accomodate a figure of similar size on the seat. On the whole, it's a very well-detailed alternate mode. It just can't stand up without the kickstand.
Perhaps the best aspect is, as seen in the picture, the ability for Cyberjets to ride him. Yee-haw!Robot Mode:
The robot mode is fairly interesting as well. He redefines the phrase "broad shouldered", and has a removable laser-buzzsaw attached to his right wrist. He shares the light-up gimmick with his counterpart, Double Face. Of course, there are the laser-rods too, and those have'nt been used since G2, but that's another matter...
He has ball joints everywhere, though, so he's very articulate for a Transformer in general, and about average for a G2 release of this size. Overall, the thing I like most about him is the unpinioned wire dangling about. To me, that makes him look haphazard and dangerous, like a real robot warrior! (I apologize for that... I know it's lame).
Unlike the earlier RM releases, this one doesn't come with an extra gun. I don't know whether Takara decided to forego the extra weaponry for matters of cost, or if they just decided all the subsequent molds were fine "as is". It's a minor mystery, but I wouldn't stay up late trying to figure it out...Transformation:
8. Pretty well thought out. Lots of rotating this, swiveling that, without being frustrating.Durability:
7. One wrong move can snip the wire, leaving him but a poor, normal transformer.Fun:
8. The fact that Cyberjets can ride him speaks for itself...Price:
2. $15 is brutal for a basic-size toy; even ones that have little electronics and are imported...Overall:
5. Neat little toy, but the price does it in. If you can get it on the cheap, yadda yadda yadda...