New Simon Furman Interview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
and they have scores of people going "I'm going to have to give this another 12 issues before I even begin to decide whether it's any good or not".
First off, as a general observation, that implies that a lot of people are finding the series appealing, if different.
I think the narrative's been spun out to be TPB-friendly
Certainly, which isn't to say it doesn't work as singles. I'd also disagree over to what extent things have been extended -- the #1/#2 being one 48-page chapter is noticeable because it's chase.
Aside from a simple change of premise (first contact is covert rather than overt) there's really been very little new about it (something which puts it alongside the first arc of the Marvel Ultimate titles, with the notable exception of the punchier Ultimates - and those arcs weren't any good on their own merit
Those I've read aren't bad, they're just not paradigm-redefiningly different. And the comparison to the Ultimate reworkings is a good fit for Infiltration, style- and content- wise. The merit (or lack of it) in this approach is left to opinion.
if it was a film, a lot more people would be bored by now.
If it was a film, each issue would be about ten minutes, and there'd be more than enough emoting and screeching noises and explosions and giant robots to satisfy. Now, whether this makes for good value is up to the comics reader -- I generally read a trade paperback worth of issues in far less time than a film. (I also have an aversion to paying more than about five quid to own a film, and one of the things I like about books is the portability and reread factor. I've reread the new comics plenty, I rewatch films a few times over the course of years.)
"Escalation" is going to need to hit the ground running.
Particularly on the back of Stormbringer, rather than released side-by-side with Stormbringer.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by DCJosh

Infiltration does its job in setting things up. We start on Earth, first we think its the same old story but then Prime and Megs arent there. Its just a couple small little squads. Then we learn that this war isnt just confined to Earth like it has always been in other continuities. We learn that there's other teams or "infiltration units" on countless other planets. Really widening the scope of the war and putting some good importance on Prime and Megs. I mean, if they're off leading this intergalactic civil war, then what is it that draws them to Earth in particular? what causes the highest ranking officers of both sides to just up and leave to attend to one measely planet amongst a sea of others? these are the things Infiltration is informing us of. This is what its making us ask, and frankly its doing well.

You do realize that most of what you just posted above hasn't been garnered from the five issues we have in our hands, right?

Small little squads? Really! I didn't realize that.
War isn't just confined to Earth? We learned that?! Where!?
Other teams on countless planets? What issue was that again, cause I sure as hell don't recall that being mentioned?
Intergalactic war? Is this from the Furman interviews, cause all I know about are some Decepticon bunkers underground.
Highest ranking members up and leave and come to Earth!!? Was that issue five?

SEE THE PROBLEM HERE JOSH?

This is what you get when you have a drawn out story. Where even an IDW colorist knows things should have been revealed by now but haven't.

I mean, I have found your synopsis above more intriguing then the actual five issues out thus far because everything you mentioned above hasn't even happened yet after five months.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Those squiggles overlaying the pretty pictures are dialogue.

(Second issue. Plus the absence of Prime and dismissive attitude Ratchet gets from his command staff. We know this is just an advance observing party.)

(Third issue too, come to think of it...)

"if they're off leading this intergalactic civil war, then what is it that draws them to Earth in particular? what causes the highest ranking officers of both sides to just up and leave to attend to one measely planet amongst a sea of others?" -- is the only bit we haven't gotten thus far. It just hasn't been whizz-bang fireworks.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

if they're off leading this intergalactic civil war, then what is it that draws them to Earth in particular? what causes the highest ranking officers of both sides to just up and leave to attend to one measely planet amongst a sea of others?

Which page was that on? I can't recall that speech.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Read Josh's, Shockwav's and my post in order and it'll probably make sense.

Gotta dash.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Well I did, it seemed more like that snippet came from the letters page? Or an interview? Or editorial? I can't remember anything like it in the story itself, which would seem to back up Shockwav's point.

I assumed you were rebuffing his point though, not backing it up. Did I read wrong?
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
You do realize that most of what you just posted above hasn't been garnered from the five issues we have in our hands, right?

Small little squads? Really! I didn't realize that.
Other teams on countless planets? What issue was that again, cause I sure as hell don't recall that being mentioned?
Intergalactic war? Is this from the Furman interviews, cause all I know about are some Decepticon bunkers underground.
Highest ranking members up and leave and come to Earth!!? Was that issue five?

SEE THE PROBLEM HERE JOSH?

This is what you get when you have a drawn out story. Where even an IDW colorist knows things should have been revealed by now but haven't.

I mean, I have found your synopsis above more intriguing then the actual five issues out thus far because everything you mentioned above hasn't even happened yet after five months.

everything i've mentioned can be surmised from all issues thus far, solicitations, and interviews. I've only read as much of infiltration as you guys have so dont think i know how this part of the story plays out. Its not even my book so i dont get to read it before hand :P

small little squads? learning the war isnt confined to just earth?

all that can be taken from dialogue between Ratchet and Prowl the first few issues.

other teams on other planets? again. can be concluded by the way Prowl speaks of and about protocol, earth and its native alien species' etc etc

intergalactic war? if theres other teams on other planets there's gotta be a reason. heck if theres just one team on earth thats gotta mean there's other bots elsewhere in the galaxy

highest ranking officers coming to earth? that can be taken from solicitations. blah blah blah, starscream uncovers an energy source, blah blah, megatron magically appears in cybertronian mode severely ticked etc etc

Furman mentioned himself megatron *came* to earth. wanted to "put his house in order." Figured itd be quick so he never took on an earthen vehicle mode, etc etc

if he wasnt on earth he musta been somewhere else :P

again, i havent posted anything that couldnt have been taken from the stuff readily available to the public, be it the comics, interviews, or whatever so [and granted i probably coulda gave some better citings and references but its late, my computer is half broken ATM, and i have some X-men Legends to play before bed :P
-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

and as for the little speech angelophile, thems be my own words so you wont find those exact words anywhere else :P

again, just all information ive gathered and pieced together from the comics/solicitations/interviews :P
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

solicitations/interviews

Forgive me for being naive, but shouldn't it all be in the scripts? If I get the TPB, will the solicitations and interviews be included? Why not just go the whole hog, fill the book with those nerve-jangling, nail-biting vital fight scenes, Avril Lavigne and robots going "Enk", and just do interviews where Furman explains what the **** it's all about?
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

a lot of times what happens is you'll get all the necessary information int he comics themselves. All the stuff you need to know just to keep the story progressing

No comic is layed out that you HAVE to keep up with every little interview, every little inkling posted on a message board or anything. Its just extra stuff youd've never known or spoilers are generally what youd find in interviews and stuff like that
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You honestly think things like that (plot, motivations etc.) are minor details that can be left out of a comic?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Angelophile
Did I read wrong?
Nah, I just saw my name attached to the quote, and I was only around for a minute or two.

The "up and leave" bit hasn't come from issues, other than Megatron appearing in the bunker, although I suppose it's implied by the character appearance thing in the front of all issues so far.
Forgive me for being naive, but shouldn't it all be in the scripts?
Shouldn't what be in the scripts? The story for this arc is in the scripts for this story. The marketing for upcoming issues, other story arcs and miniseries is elsewhere.

There is a bit of overlap -- anyone with Inf #5 has a short preview of Stormbinger, from which we know Cybertron's wrecked, which most would tie into Ironhide and Prowl being reluctant to contact Prime -- though I don't think it's confirmed within Infiltration so far that Prime's off-planet. Megs is the only one to mention Cybertron.
starscreamjericho
Protoform

Post by starscreamjericho »

hey everyone calm down a bit. this just the being of a bigger picture. this mini series is not all thats going to happen, more events will come along that will tell the reasons for starscreams actions why megs is here withouit an earth mode and why prowl won't call prime. mabye after strombringer comes and goes we'll get more answers. furmans only going tell in ths comic what needs o be told at that time in the store and not get to caught up in the stores of each transformer to get everyone confused.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right, let's try and pick through that minefield... it's the same old "Infiltration is good because something else might explain stuff at some point in the future, maybe 2007". That and a made-up point about someone, somewhere having demanded the "stores" of every single Transformer to be told in Infiltration. As you're so fond of repitition, it's no wonder you're enjoying the thing more than me.
Originally posted by Denyer

Shouldn't what be in the scripts? The story for this arc is in the scripts for this story. The marketing for upcoming issues, other story arcs and miniseries is elsewhere.

Right, then maybe people can keep that seperate when defending Infiltration...? Because people are voicing their problems with Infiltration the comic, with whatever founding, not IDW's promotion machine...
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

those last few posts just completely lost me :P

xP
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Glad to see at least one Throttlebot in Stormbringer, hope they get some much needed characterisation, as they have a lot of unrealised potential at least some of them do.
Alseides Prime
Protoform

Post by Alseides Prime »

From what I've seen of IDW, they plan to do alot more with Transformers than what DW was planning to do with em.

All in all i look forward to Stormbring and whatever else IDW dishes out!!!:D :D
Once upon a time, there was a little girl who hadn't seen her mother for seven years.
One day, on the way to her mother, she met a wolf.
The wolf asked her if she would be taking the path of pins, or the path of needles.
When the girl said she would be taking the path of pins, the wolf hurried of down the path of needles, and ate up the little girls' mother.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

maybe people can keep that seperate when defending Infiltration...?
You've got Infiltration as a standalone story and Infiltration as part of a longer story arc -- they're both valid ways of assessing the story, although you, I and anyone with any experience of good storytelling would certainly baulk at, say, a story conveyed by letter page and interview should any of those plot points fail to turn up in the story; it's not that characters were said to have survived in DW letters pages, for instance, it's that this wasn't ever explained adequately in the story itself (and quickfire regenerations cheapened the previous story arc.)

A large part of the appeal for a fresh continuity are the ideas and potential that brings (consistency, worlds on fire, conflict across the universe, Earth becoming important, the sense that anything can happen, reading to find out what happens next.) Certainly as much as Megatron shooting Skywarp or humans turning up as desiccated husks.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've only read as much of infiltration as you guys have

Errrr, isn't Infiltration six supposed to be out next week? Shouldn't it be like, coloured allready?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

He doesn't colour Infilitration (did a couple of pages in an early issue to help meet a deadline, I think, but isn't main colourist.) He coloured Beast Wars and is now doing Stormbringer. Infiltration has John Rauch, whose efforts have been distinctly variable so far...