Wizard World IDW panel | UPDATE: Furman interview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Am I being really thick, or was Spotlight #1 actually Shockwave?
Yes on both of those. What contradiction? :o

Wasn't there a significant drop for Nightbeat's issue and the sales going up again for Hot Rod? [lazy]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

ImageImage

Cheerfully withdrawn. Though they did put him second... and if half-a-dozen in counts as launch, so does #2... ;) To be honest, with Tailgate et al I was being wilfully obscure... I personally feel they've gone too far the other way... there are plenty of fairly well-known characters dying for some decent stories - often from the early years when the effort was still being put into tech specs - Sideswipe, Smokescreen, Dirge, Thundercracker, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Bluestreak, Windcharger, Trailbreaker, etc.

Sure, they wouldn't shift black and white variant covers, and I realise the perilous position IDW are in, but it's a shame from an artistic point of view...
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I've seen people claiming that they would pass on Nightbeat's Spotlight, because they don't know him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The next issue (Hot Rod) did outsell Nightbeat. (Although the sketchy, retro art not being to everyone's taste was almost certainly a factor too.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Alright, alright, I'll stop asking for something different... Please, more Spotlights concentrating on well-known faction leaders!
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I also would want less known characters getting Spotlight issues, but I also realise the market decision IDW has made.

But let's hope Furman writes less known characters for supporting roles. Well, more in the style of Doubledealer appearing in Hot Rod issue, than terrorcons appearing in Sixshot issue.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Osku
I also would want less known characters getting Spotlight issues, but I also realise the market decision IDW has made.

See, I fully appreciate that, I merely find it disappointing, rather than ' effront to the world and how dare IDW choose not going bankrupt over pleasing me?!?'... I just think n00b user name-friendly Decepticons and TF:TM characters is a particularly dull choice... maybe a more useful place for setting up plot points would have been the vast tracts of nothing that made up Infiltration?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I still like Infiltration a lot, and it got the imagination flowing (for me) -- people who can pick up the whole lot in one go rather than wait six months for issues are in a much better position, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
I still like Infiltration a lot, and it got the imagination flowing (for me) -- people who can pick up the whole lot in one go rather than wait six months for issues are in a much better position, though.

Imagination wasn't the problem, nor really was the quality - it's more than so much more could have gone into it if not for the turgid scripting and hackneyed, off-the-shelf humans... Great story/set-up, poor comics. As someone who hasn't read anything since Nightbeat/Stormbringer (I'm testing a theory and holding off until a trade comes out... Not risking spending so much to get such a slow story spoonfed to me over 6-9 months again... if I'm buying a 120~ page graphic novel as I apparently am, I'm going to buy a 120~ page graphic novel and not have to **** around with bags every two minutes), how vital is the Spotlight background to main arcs? Difficult to tell at the moment, or are they really justifying their existence by linking in?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The idea is that they shouldn't be essential, though the Nightbeat one is probably going to be quite crucial, as is the Magnus. They're meant to make standalone sense first and foremost (again the Nightbeat one is most tied to future events.)

Escalation's on a roll now.

I didn't hate the humans from early on, though...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

In a way, though, I kinda respect the idea (although obviously I have no idea it's implemented) - hopefully Furman's found some way of converting their ludicrous page-time in Infiltration into something worthwhile... Of course, doesn't really make the back-of-a-***-packet characterisation from Infiltration that much more readable...

EDIT: Oh, for ****'s sake. I thought we were just banning homophobic ****wits instead? We going to slap "queer" on autocensor too?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Different tastes etc. Like Denyer I also liked Infiltration, and on the other hand wasn't that impressed with Stormbringer.

You can safely pass Sixshot spotlight, and propably also Hotrod. But I'd recommend picking up Ultra Magnus issue. The art wasn't exactly my cup of tea, and there were some minor problems with the story telling, but on the whole it was good reading. :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Edit: Gah. Connection problems. Please delete.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

but one thing I do aim to do (and I'm willing to share right now) is to pit him against Ultra Magnus. I haven't had a big dust up between that pair since 'Target: 2006,' and it's overdue (IMHO)."
[/b]

Has he forgotten the other arse whooping Magnus got off Galvy over the years?

I'm not overly worried about main Characters getting the Spotlights as long as they're good- Which so far they have been 9Sixshoot was the weakest, mainly because it really wasy "I am evil and will destroy you with my six modes!).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Oddly, the only Spotlight I've been unable to find (though Shockwave took a bit) is Sixshot. Is the character that popular; or did stores order less copies after the softer sales of the similarly semi-obscure Nightbeat? (I'm still seeing a few copies of that one on the racks.)

And yes, please please PLEASE separate Megatron from Galvatron! Banzai-Tron has been established in IDW as a separate character; why not another "tron" who has nothing to do with Megatron?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by LKW
And yes, please please PLEASE separate Megatron from Galvatron! Banzai-Tron has been established in IDW as a separate character

They have also seperated Bazaitron from his hyphen. It's a radical reinterpretation.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Has he forgotten the other arse whooping Magnus got off Galvy over the years?

Are any of the others coming out in Generations any time soon? Do we really need to ask questions of Simon's PR Memory anymore?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Are any of the others coming out in Generations any time soon?

Furman taking a Stalanist/GordonBrownist view of history? Shocking.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
They have also seperated Bazaitron from his hyphen. It's a radical reinterpretation.

Point... to the Dalek. :up: