Movie Trailers Galore!!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
I wasn't aware of any films being made specifically to act as 'warm up' light fare for matinees or anything
They're called "straight to video" now. People rent and watch two or three in an evening.

One of those "our generation, our language" things.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by Denyer
Sure there are. They don't get to cinemas much unless you're in a university area. People just like nailing things into the framework of decades and eras.

Good place to start:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217331/
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/reviews/c/conventthe.htm

The Convent is a very fun movie. Denyer is right they get very limited releases, and alot of the times they are limited to festivals and midnight showings.

The direct to video tag is also applicable as thats the more common way to see such movies in this day and age, and the format they come out in 90% of the time. You can also find them being referred to as "Independant Films" or "Indie".

As far as all this talk of the TF movie and whether its gonna "kick ass" or "suck"...I can't say because I have yet to see it. But I do think its going to be alot of "fun". ;)
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Post by trilobitepictures »

These are going to be getting very numerous in the following month, so posting every new trailer and ad is going to become rather monotonous rather quickly.

So, before that happens...

http://www.transformersmovie.com/public ... 200713.mov
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

i keep hearing people gripe on seibertron and other sites about the "tangled messes" and the "bug-eyed heads". I have a few points that I must admit I like:

1) The different style that this is done in, and really no real questions asked about where the parts go really. I always wondered by reading the comics, etc. etc. etc. how everything fit exactly. It seems like this film solves these space dilemmas easily as I look at each Hi-Res pic and trailer.

2) Each robot seems unique in its own way, and not a clone of another, except in the pre-quel comics with the "drones", which makes sense since Megs always boasted in comics and cartoons about his "army", and the reader or viewer didn't see much of an army. (Some TFs are exceptions like Runabout and Runamuck, etc., we know who these are)

3) The cgi is just very unique, as stated in point 1, they did their best it seems to mimic skin, etc. when the robots moved, which makes sense. How would Ultra Magnus and Prime, and all the really large TFs do some of those poses anyway?????

4) G1 is ok, but after awhile as I have stated in older posts, it gets lame after awhile when that is the norm, even if I am a real die hard fan, I want new fresh ideas.

5) Just be glad a movie has been done on this grand of a scale, maybe the sequels will be much more improved as the TFs stay on earth, we may see the Binaltech/Alternator designs a bit! Those I love for their realism the most out of all my collection, as well as the Masterpiece Series!

I think I have covered all I meant to type, but I do love these trailers, and even my own brother, who is a skeptic of this movie from day one, had to acknowledge that he was impressed! And believe me, that is a tough thing for him to do, since he grew up in the 80s and watched the original series XD. Ciao, and I hope this post of mine is a good source for others to quote XP

*edit* Also the Allspark idea, I wonder if that is trying to bring the nostalgia back from the 80s Transformers motto "Till all are one" concept, and explain what that really meant. I can't wait for the movie to come out and then explain all these quizzical things from this director and writing staff's point of view ^^;.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by Ackula
As far as all this talk of the TF movie and whether its gonna "kick ass" or "suck"...I can't say because I have yet to see it. But I do think its going to be alot of "fun". ;)

I said this several times to no avail.

hopefully quoting you might make it seem like poo-pooing things we have seen in a trailer, or roughly a percentage point, of a final product is kinda, well.. nevermind

you know what, I'm pretty sure i'm not alone in the fact that I will be buying an opening weekend ticket.

I know that my Parents are going to buy tickets also, just because Transformers helped them raise me.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

This really doesn't warrent a whole new thread, and I'm not sure if this is really the right place for this, but since there seems to be a bit of discussion about the designs... too 'insecty' vs G1... going on here...

http://home.comcast.net/~themichaelsmith/TransZ.mpg

Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Surprisingly smooth. Minor nits on the rendering and smoe texture choices, but that's amazing for a fan film. And, yes, I do prefer the design to the movie ones. :)
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Surprisingly smooth. Minor nits on the rendering and smoe texture choices, but that's amazing for a fan film. And, yes, I do prefer the design to the movie ones. :)

I'm with you.

Although, yes this is a fan film... a damned good one... it does show that a G1-type model could easily have been workable. Especially if the resources of ILM had gone this route.

Ackula

Post by Ackula »

That is an amazing fan film I have to give some very well deserved kudos for that one. I still think the movie designs are much better however. In my opinion if it was done looking like this fan film it would have seemed too cartoonish and unbelievable. And yes I know the movie designs are very outlandish..but to me they are more believable as an alien race than G1 style bots would have been.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Because we all know what robotic extraterrestrial aliens look like, ya know. :)
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'd like to think they wouldn't look like cartoon robots from the early 80's...but yeh..who knows...maybe they look like Voltron or C-P3O.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Heh...reminds me of this thread:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthrea ... ight=alien

Like Denyer, I've avoided a lot of movie exclusive folders simply due to them being a nesting ground for stupidity (coining Clay on that one). Reading through a lot of those posts makes my head want to implode.

Now, for the trailer itself. Looks like a lot of fancy window dressing and reminds me of the last movie I got really excited about, which was Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace. I remember the trailers looking really good and exciting -- a must-see movie -- but when I got into the theater and it started playing...wow, it was a royal s***burger and I was immensely disappointed. For this movie, I'll say my excitement and disappointment are reserved. If the movie turns out to be good to great, then I'll be excited and if not...eh...oh, well...

The one thing that gives me a little hope is that Bay says they didn't show all of the money shots in the trailers, which could be great for what it's worth. I saw some rather neat special effects in the trailers. I smirked when I heard the original transformation sound thrown into Optimus' changing sequence. Even smirked at the G1 Bumblebee reference. I just hope the rest of the movie delivers at least something decent.

Now, what I am worried about is the fact there are prequel comics, since this reminds me of what happened prior to Star Wars: Episode 3's release. Relying on other media to help tell the story instead of just relying on the movie itself. Luckily, I saw all of the cartoons preceding Ep 3 but if I didn't, I wouldn't have been sure what the hell was going on with a fair amount of the movie such as why Grievous came in all f***ed-up and we didn't see it happen in the movie. He went from being a badass in Ep 2, to wheezing, hurt, and an easy kill for Obi-wan with no explanation as to what happened in the flick. With the TF prequel comics, they had some pretty good stuff in there, which I hope is somehow incorporated into the movie such as how Megatron got to Earth before the other TFs and how the government came into possession of him; otherwise, I could really see that confusing audiences.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There'll be a brief bit explaining Megs in the film at the start, AFAIK.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

(quote edited for space)
Originally posted by Civ
... Grievous ... went from being a badass in Ep 2, to wheezing, hurt, and an easy kill for Obi-wan with no explanation as to what happened in the flick.

Grievous was in Episode 2? How do you figure that?

Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Yeah, there's no need for the Clone Wars cartoons for Star Wars, it only enhances things. There was absolutely nothing critical in those stories.

Even the Grievous being hurt was not necessary (nor even wanted, probably). The point of Grievous was to show that even as far advanced technologically this society was, there was somethings that even they couldn't do...like create cyborgs successfully without any adverse side effects.

My thought is that the comics and the novel Ghosts of the Past (or whatever it's called) are not necessary for the film, but help enhance it. In fact, I find the prequel comic somewhat promising as it was basically the back story for Sector 7 (which means we won't waste screen time on something like that).

More Transformers, baby! :D
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by trilobitepictures
(quote edited for space)

Grievous was in Episode 2? How do you figure that?

By misremembering. Wondrous tool is it not?

Still, doesn't help that we see this critter come in all messed up, wheezing and such and not knowing what happened unless you saw the cartoon.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Originally posted by Civ
Still, doesn't help that we see this critter come in all messd up, wheezing and such and not knowing what happened unless you saw the cartoon.
I remember seeing some interview with Joel Silver about Matrix 2 where he said that you wouldn't understand the movie unless you played the videogame. That was $20 ($10 for Matrix 2 and 10 for Matrix 3) that he never got from me.

Fortunately, TRANSFORMERS (2007) doesn't seem to wanting to force the viewer to rely on the prequel comics or the novel to follow the story like that. They might hurt, might help. Already there are contradictions, however... in issue one of the comic, Megatron is a standard G1 Megatron size when he rips Bumblebee's throat out (one hand can just get around his neck). In the trailer, he's Godzilla-sized and wrapping his entire foot almost completely around Jazz. And the comic shows the All-Spark at about the size of Rhode Island. Yet photos surfaced early on of Spike holding it in his hands.

Meh.

Civ

Post by Civ »

Fortunately, TRANSFORMERS (2007) doesn't seem to wanting to force the viewer to rely on the prequel comics or the novel to follow the story like that. They might hurt, might help. Already there are contradictions, however... in issue one of the comic, Megatron is a standard G1 Megatron size when he rips Bumblebee's throat out (one hand can just get around his neck). In the trailer, he's Godzilla-sized and wrapping his entire foot almost completely around Jazz. And the comic shows the All-Spark at about the size of Rhode Island. Yet photos surfaced early on of Spike holding it in his hands.

Hey, waitaminit! I thought Bay said there wasn't going to be any mass-shifting!
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Already there are contradictions, however... in issue one of the comic, Megatron is a standard G1 Megatron size when he rips Bumblebee's throat out (one hand can just get around his neck).
Also, there are now Hasbro contradictions to be thrown into the lot. Hardtop's (I think, maybe it is someone else) claims that it was a shot from him that took away Bumblebee's ability to speak without pain, in the comic, it was Megatron.

The same thing happened with the Star Wars stuff. There are three different official versions of how Grievous got screwed up. One in the prequel book, one in the cartoon, and one from Lucas saying, "No, he's messed up because the technology sucks."
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
numbat

Post by numbat »

Wow! Offline for three weeks or so and its amazing what changes!

How many trailers does a film need? Well, at last, there are plenty! And, at the end of the day, to sell a film with so many preconceptions based in the public mind, then you probably need a few more than usual anyhoo. Many people see TFs as a kid's thing, with no connection to an adult enjoyment (unlike Star Wars, for e.g.). But, man, it looks amazing!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.