Simon Furman blog updates (expect some minor spoilers) | UPDATED: April 3rd Updates

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

10/7: Simon Furman's blog updated (some spoliers)

Post by zigzagger »

Simon Furman has updated his blog.
One item of particular interest is revealed within this entry; Fortress Maximus will make his IDW debut in a yet to be revealed Transformers Spotlight (i.e. as a supporting character)
Ooo, yes, touch it. Touch the link!
SPOILER! (select to read)
I managed not to reveal the subject of the second (or three) Spotlights I’m currently writing for IDW, but did let slip that (within the covers of that same un-named Spotlight) a certain Fortress Maximus makes his full IDW debut (albeit in a supporting role). That done, it was back to my own little corner of the convention hall for more in the way of one on one meeting and greeting. The afternoon then gently wound down until 5PM, when I packed up and was gone. A nod of the head to fellow creators Declan Shalvey and Will Sliney, who had the table next to mine. They both made for excellent company as the attendees ebbed and flowed. Overall, a very nice experience, busy enough to feel it was worth your while being there, but not so mad you feel mauled by the end of the day. After food, it was back to the ‘library’ bar at the Central Hotel for more lively chat (and, yes, Guinness), the proceedings enlivened still further by the arrival of Nick Roche (and pretty much his entire family). The next morning, it was into a hire car and off into the wild blue yonder. All in all, a very fine diversion. Cheers, Rob. Now back to work…
zigzagger

10/11: Simon Furman's blog updated.

Post by zigzagger »

Writer Simon Furman's has recently updated his blog (sorry, I'm a couple days behind). This entry reveals scant but interesting details for Titan's TF UK #7. The 7th issue will spotlight Starscream, and will also feature zombified Decepticons. Sounds fun.

At the source
SPOILER! (select to read)
Okay, here’s an insider look at the thought processes and deliberations behind the second batch of UK-exclusive (new movie continuity) stories for Titan’s Transformers comic/magazine, and specifically TF-UK #7 and the story ‘Starscream’s Militia’. Issues #1-6’s lead stories (of which, by now, you’ll have seen/read #1-4… in fact, #4 is out today) focused (within a larger framing story) on Optimus Prime and Megatron and then some of the characters that maybe didn’t get much screen time/characterization (in the movie itself), such as Jazz, Ironhide and Devastator. This interlinked mini-story arc was set during the early stages of the Prequel material established in the IDW Movie Prequel series. All well and good, but somewhat limiting, in that the characters could only appear (apart from the odd flash-forward) in their pre-movie/Cybertronian (protoform) forms, and if they transformed it either had to be into their spacegoing ‘meteor’ mode or some alien variation on their (eventual) Earth mode. Fine for older readers, but maybe confusing for younger readers who wanted to see the trucks and cars and jets from the movie proper. So, issues #7-12’s lead stories really had to be Earth-based. The question was, how? Where? Given the limitations (sequel in the works, more IDW movie-based stories to come in all likelihood), the stories couldn’t just ‘continue’ on after the end of the movie without possible story contradictions ensuing (later). So, we decided to squeeze our next batch of stories into the very tail end of the movie, exploiting the ‘unseen’ time between the end of the battle in L.A. and the sort of epilogue scenes. Issue #7’s ‘Starscream’s Militia’ picks up directly (moments) after Megatron’s final downfall, and has a distinctly ‘Night of the Living Dead’ type vibe, as Starscream makes decidedly unconventional use of such downed/deactivated Decepticons as Barricade, Blackout and Devastator. ‘Starscream’s Militia’ is written by me, with art from a relative newcomer to TF-strip work (apart, I believe, from a back-up strip in Panini’s Transformers Armada #9) Simon Williams. Simon’s been a regular artist on Panini’s Spectacular Spider-Man comic, as well as supplying new art for the recent Death’s Head collections and a few TF-promotional pieces. Really looking forward to seeing his take on the TF-movie cast. TF-UK #7 hits stores (in the UK only I’m afraid) on 3rd January 2008
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Good on Simon Williams sneaking past the more established artists to get on the title. Though it is me is is Furman calling the first six issues crap there?

I assume that by the time he starts on 13 (if there is a 13 of course), he'll have a better idea what other Movie stuff IDW is doing and can work around it more in future.

EDIT: and as for not contradicting the sequel... counting Barricade amongst the dead and downed seems a bit odd...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Script for an unpublished DW Beast Wars story:

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2007/12/24/xmas-wrap/
inflatable dalek

I'm guessing that's a first draft considering how awful most of the stuff that didn't make it into The Gathering is... Though I guess this could be the beginning of DW stuff seeping out into the internet.
Halfshell

Furman gives 2008 tease

Post by Halfshell »

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... h-the-new/

Nothing concrete revealed, though he does tease the info that we'll be getting an IDW flashback series of some variety.

And he's writing Torchwood comics.
inflatable dalek

"How long can your stop watch go for ianto?"
"It never ends Jack".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yay for all the people trying to avoid script wrap spoilers who may have been interested...
inflatable dalek

Though I suppose the Torchwood comic will be stripped of all the sex and swearing and thus of no interest to the target audience of 12 year olds.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They're treading dangerously by forcing Torchwood into the "whoops, minimal Who this year so that'll take centre stage" mould, aren't they? What if the kiddies get hold of the season one DVDs?
Originally posted by Halfshell
Yay for all the people trying to avoid script wrap spoilers who may have been interested...
People who're visiting the blog're likely to get a few spoilers on more than that.

edit:
Fine for older readers, but maybe confusing for younger readers who wanted to see the trucks and cars and jets from the movie proper.
Er, isn't it a bit late to be trying to win them over?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer
They're treading dangerously by forcing Torchwood into the "whoops, minimal Who this year so that'll take centre stage" mould, aren't they? What if the kiddies get hold of the season one DVDs?
There's exactly the same amount of Who this year as for the last few, it's 2009 there's only going to be three "Special" episodes. A seperate Magazine for Torchwood was pretty mucha given after a interview with John Barrowman in DWM got a lot of complaints for adult content...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
it's 2009 there's only going to be three "Special" episodes.
Ah, right.

Editing TW down for earlier second broadcasts and pushing it to teh kidz still doesn't seem a very sensible idea.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Is it me, or does this hearld the inevitable Torckwood/Transformers crossover?

Part 1-

Ianto: -looking at the red van sitting where the Torchwoodmobile normally sits- "Jack? What happened to the car?"

Jack: -shrugging- "Well, having Abydos step on it durning his rampage through Cardiff didn't do much for it. I picked this van up at a salvage vehicle auction in the states. We can pack more equipment into it, a better sound system, some shag carpeting...."

Ironhide: -muttering to himself- "If this guy thinks I'm gonna let him turn me into a shag wagon, he's got another think comin'."

More parts as I think of them.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

I can't see the beeb ever allowing a crossover with a entirely advertising based property (well, unless it was already one of their own), else it would have happened when both were the two most established titles at Marvel UK in the days when they'd throw any old crossovers together.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

else it would have happened when both were the two most established titles at Marvel UK in the days when they'd throw any old crossovers together.

You mean like when Death's Head went from TF to his own title, via the pages of Doctor Who?

That's likely the closest we'll ever get.

People thought Furman writing Terminator stuff would result in a crossover. WHEN WILL THE KNEE-JERK MADNESS END?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Halfshell
You mean like when Death's Head went from TF to his own title, via the pages of Doctor Who?
Though there are no characters who's sole purpose was to sell toys in there though (I have read Galvatron's supposed to have a cameo in the first one somewhere, but if he does it doesn't show up well in the colour version I have), same goes for the appearences of Merlin from Captain Britain on the council within the Matrix on Gallifrey.

Has anyone else seen the "unofficial" appearence by the Brig and Benton in a Clearmont written X-Men issue where the entire cameo is wrendered pointless by the colourist seemingly thinking British soldiers dress as postmen?

That's likely the closest we'll ever get.
Agreed.

People thought Furman writing Terminator stuff would result in a crossover.
Well, that and the fact Terminator is a dirty whore property that will crossover will anything.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Though there are no characters who's sole purpose was to sell toys in there though

It was more a "they were the two biggest titles at the time and that was the closest they ever got, so there's not much chance nowadays" comment, than anything to do with merchandise flogging.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... a-go-go-7/

Just a release notification.

Very manga-oriented artist, though I quite like these...

http://theboo.deviantart.com/art/Movie- ... n-57656396
http://theboo.deviantart.com/art/TF-Bum ... r-38751382

(Rest of gallery mostly NSFW / mostly anatomically-improbable cheesecake.)
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer

Very manga-oriented artist, though I quite like this one...

Have you actually seen the train wreak of an issue? Not so much Manga influenced as "To many pints down the pub" influenced. I see that press release gets the name of the story wrong as well...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have you actually seen the train wreak of an issue?
It's an "I'll pick it up if they get Senior back" sort of thing for now...