BotCon 2009 thread (updated as info becomes available)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

secretcode wrote:Andrew Wildman has (accidentally) revealed a BotCon exclusive...
http://andrewwildman.blogspot.com/2009/ ... rmers.html

Skyquake will be a repaint of Energon Starscream, a mold that surely needs more love.
No more pics? :(
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

That's basically it, yes.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

The BotCon powers that be seem to have gotten to the Wildman blog.
http://andrewwildman.blogspot.com/2009/02/skyquake.html

Also, good lord does Skyquake have a horrid color scheme.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skyquake
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Flak FTW.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

secretcode wrote:Also, good lord does Skyquake have a horrid color scheme.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skyquake
The actual COLORS aren't that bad, it's just that they're all over the damn place on the figure. The Energon Starscream mold could pass as Skyquake a bit, and the colors could (could being the important keyword here) be more neatly applied to it. It's not a perfect conversion, but it can work.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Figure 1 Revealed: Elite Guard Kup
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm
A young and adventurous rookie, Kup is in awe of both his comrades and the new worlds he has gotten to see. Nothing, though, will be able to prepare him for what comes next as he and his fellow teammates are faced with a mission that could change Cybertron and the Autobots ...forever!

Kup is a remold of Cybertron Red Alert.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Good mold. Weird choice for Kup, but it works. We'll see what the scalpers are asking for him on Theifbay.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

So: Cyb Red Alert Has:
1 Cyb Red Alert
2 Cyb Cannonball
3 Movie Crankcase
4 (head re-mold) Bot Con Kup

Yeah, This isn't a mold I need another of.
Come on and wind me up.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

If only they redid the medic tools. I know the hammer can pass as a warhammer, but still...:down:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Civ

Post by Civ »

California? Dammit. That rules me out from going. Oh well, so far this set doesn't sound all that promising. Kup seems alright but not enough to make me want the set. I'll have to wait and see what Scourge will be though if I had to guess, I would use the Energon Mirage mold. I don't care for the Cybertron Starscream mold at all so I won't be missing Skyquake. The other three are a wait and see deal.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

RID Scourge wrote:Good mold. Weird choice for Kup, but it works. We'll see what the scalpers are asking for him on Theifbay.
You know, I actually have to say I preferred Walky's choice instead. This mold is decent, but we've already got three of him, one of which very recently, and he isn't the right kind of vehicle... to say nothing of how much he looks like a contemporary Earth truck. Dirt Boss (which has gotten no love) would have been a better choice.

Still, a classics Kup at last... just need to carve some age lines on that exclusive face. :)
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... rs-166917/

Forms now going out to TFCC members
Firebird

Post by Firebird »

Since I live about 30 minutes from Pasadena, it would be an utter crime if I didn't go. :swirly:
Firebird has her optics on you...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Forms now available to the public at http://www.botcon.com
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

TFVanguard wrote:You know, I actually have to say I preferred Walky's choice instead. This mold is decent, but we've already got three of him, one of which very recently, and he isn't the right kind of vehicle... to say nothing of how much he looks like a contemporary Earth truck. Dirt Boss (which has gotten no love) would have been a better choice.

Still, a classics Kup at last... just need to carve some age lines on that exclusive face. :)
The more I look at it the more I don't like the Mold choice. It doesn't fit. Though this is a rare miss for them. Shame they don't have anything pickup-shaped, but kinda slender. An Animated Kup would be pretty awesome.

I dunno about Dirt Boss. I never picked it up because I didn't like the looks of it.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

RID Scourge wrote:I dunno about Dirt Boss. I never picked it up because I didn't like the looks of it.
It's not a bad toy, though not the best of the Cybertron line by a long shot, and probably not worth hunting down now.

It could be a passable Kup, and a little better than Red Alert, but still not really a great match. Dirt Boss has the wheel kibble ('cause of his gimmick'), but he would at least have the alt-mode somewhat right, and the chest would be slightly more reminiscent of the original.
Reflector

I somehow managed not to see this thread till today.

Post by Reflector »

Ackula wrote:who all is going? :)
I may put in an appearance. I don't care for LA, but I'll need an excuse to get out of Arizona by that time of year.

Some of those attendance packages are absurd, though. Honestly.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm not buying any of that attendance package crap myself. Just going to drive down with my son on Saturday or Sunday and pay the general admission. Pasadena isn't exactly L.A. though, I mean its in L.A. county, but its a rather cute small town in my opinion.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ut-166934/
An update from the official Botcon homepage - this year's convention boxed set, Wings of Honor, is already over 60% sold out a mere 48 hours after the convention pre-registration forms went up. I'm sure some of you are thinking that this may be because dealers are buying up large numbers of sets - however, this is not so, because according to Pete Sinclair, these are not mass orders, but individual single orders.

Needless to say, this is unprecedented demand outstripping even the popularity of last year's Shattered Glass set (which sold out in what was then record time). If you want to attend and get a boxed set, act now to avoid disappointment!
Also in other related news, Decepticon Scourge is supposed to be revealed next week on the official Botcon site.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Yep, there's some crazy people out there.

1: Last year's set was a record? I guess the "till all are gone' motto actually meant the box sets. ;)

2: Who wants this year's set? J/K

3: Who's Pete Sinclair?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]