Next Takara Masterpiece is Movie leader Starscream | also some bloke named Rodimus

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Maximum Disappointment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why isn't there a MP Soundwave? It's weird considering he's one of the most iconic transformers out there. Most people who only watched the odd episode of G1 as a kid still remember Soundwave over most of the others. To hell with this movie nonsense! /geewun fanboy rant.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

The only Mp's I got are Megatron and the Walmart Skywarp.

Rodimus dosn't interest me... but a Soundwave would.

I'm still in the air on getting a MP Prime to stand beside Megs.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Right, having now acquired a leader Starscream from Hasbro, I have to say that Takara can call it a masterpiece if they so wish.

It's purty. :o

So, yeah.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Clay wrote:Right, having now acquired a leader Starscream from Hasbro, I have to say that Takara can call it a masterpiece if they so wish.

It's purty. :o
In robot mode it's awesome! Jet mode...well, it is certainly sturdy...but I'm really disappointed with it. It's really no better than either of the previous versions in jet mode in my opinion.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Sades

Post by Sades »

What? It's a seperate line entirely! I still demand an uber-Deluxe mode different from this one, preferably made from Platinum. Wearing a shiny Elvis jumpsuit. Reasonably priced, mind. I'm not paying out the nose for a toy. *derisive snort*

Interesting.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Trailer sold seperately? :D

Not too excited about the sketch. I already know what Rodimus looks like.

----

Soundwave masterpiece? It would only be interesting for the cassettes. The original toy is already accurate, die cast and very cool.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Here's a silent prayer that they respect tradition and fuse Rodimus' legs together.
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Prowl1984 wrote:Maximum Disappointment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why isn't there a MP Soundwave? It's weird considering he's one of the most iconic transformers out there. Most people who only watched the odd episode of G1 as a kid still remember Soundwave over most of the others. To hell with this movie nonsense! /geewun fanboy rant.
Yeah. Rodimus does make a certain amount of sense. But I've never understood Soundwave being downplayed a bit, he does seem the number three icon behind OP and Megs, at least in terms of average Joe remembering him.

And obviously the "cassette recorders aren't relevant for today" explanation wouldn't hold much water for a toyline that features F-15, Walther P38, and...dinosaur molds. If nothing else, his redeco potential is heavier than Rodimus'. :p

I hope the Rodimus will be able to convert to Hot Rod. That's what would push me to want one.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

With Soundwave I think the sheer quality of the original might well be a factor. He's one of the few genuine timeless classics of the G1 line, and what he lacks in modern Balljointed Automorphing Mech Alive Powerlinking Some Twat Designer's Name Worked Into The Paint Apps he more than makes up for in chunky chrome-buttoned spring-loaded battery-weapon retro charm.

Plus a Walther P38 might no longer be among the foremost handguns in the world, it's still a gun and therefore more exciting and marketable than a block which can hold other blocks. I don't think it's so much a matter of relevance as it is display value. At the same time, it should be remembered that Masterpiece figures creep out (how many numbers did they use before they produced a fourth mould?), Takara plainly have no design budget if Hasbro aren't paying them and that just because they're doing Rodimus at the moment doesn't mean they're all sitting there going "Boy, Soundwave sure was unpopular, let's not ****ing bother with him!".
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

S_Windell wrote: And obviously the "cassette recorders aren't relevant for today" explanation wouldn't hold much water for a toyline that features F-15, Walther P38, and...dinosaur molds.
Actually, jets and guns still exist, so they are easy to recognize. Dinosaurs are as relevant now as they were in 1985.

But be honest, how many kids are going to recognize a portable cassette player (Walkman)? It basicly died because Discman ('84) and Minidisk ('92) obsoleted it. And both of those were then obsoleted by the MP3 player.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think the only Masterpiece Soundwave we're ever likely to see is going to be something akin to the movie "satellite" version, or if it's (old-skool) an online store exclusive. Which I'd be okay with, as it's a smart idea.

edit: But then again, what would they change to "justify" releasing a Masterpiece version? There was the reissue a few years back... there was Music Label... changing the fig to improve it slightly, maybe (it'd be nice to be able to pose)... are they going to send him along with extras? All the cassettes? A fuzzy pink pimp hat and bling?

Actually, I would now really like to see a fuzzy pink pimp hat and bling.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

It could be done if they made it an iPod dock with speakers, a music label on steroids and then with casettes to replace the IPod/iPhone with when not in use.
I think that would be a pretty big money maker, although a pink hat wpuld make me happy too
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Shrapnel Clone wrote:Actually, jets and guns still exist, so they are easy to recognize. Dinosaurs are as relevant now as they were in 1985.

But be honest, how many kids are going to recognize a portable cassette player (Walkman)? It basicly died because Discman ('84) and Minidisk ('92) obsoleted it. And both of those were then obsoleted by the MP3 player.
I get what you're saying. At the same time I think you're underestimating how familiar younger people are with cassette players a bit. I saw a stock tape deck in a kid's PT Cruiser a while back. You'd think that's a recent enough car to have a CD player as a standard option. I was surprised though, you can't even buy anything to play in it now!

Another reason I don't get the relevance bit, the MP line seems to be predominantly bought by adult collectors who are fully aware of the characters, at least in the western part of the world. (I'm honestly not familiar with the Japanese market at all on this.) I'm also thinking about the repeated reissues of the original mold, which consistently sells, as well as the aforementioned redeco potential. :)
Cliffjumper wrote:With Soundwave I think the sheer quality of the original might well be a factor. He's one of the few genuine timeless classics of the G1 line, and what he lacks in modern Balljointed Automorphing Mech Alive Powerlinking Some Twat Designer's Name Worked Into The Paint Apps he more than makes up for in chunky chrome-buttoned spring-loaded battery-weapon retro charm.
Yes! :) (The only thing I don't like about that mold, and it's a small sacrifice, is the reverse bend in the knees.) This is actually part of the reason I wouldn't be surprised to see an MP Soundwave. Popular character, makes for a decent toy, a consistent seller, why not? :up: I dunno, I just feel Soundwave in a Masterpiece box would really move.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

When did Masterpiece start caring about what young kids think? I highly doubt that something in the $100 price range is anything more than a collectable for nostalgic purposes. So Soundwave audio-recorder is just fine. :D
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Clay

Post by Clay »

The Music Label Soundwave is basically a dead ringer for the original, is super-wacky articulated, and is an actual, functional music player. I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Clay wrote:The Music Label Soundwave is basically a dead ringer for the original, is super-wacky articulated, and is an actual, functional music player. I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.
Maybe earphones that turn into Rumble and Frenzy?

Oh, wait.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Clay wrote:I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.
Pimp accessory add-ons. Maybe some "pretty things" for the cassettes.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Paul053

Post by Paul053 »