Transformers: Dark of the Moon [third movie] toys

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Preda

Post by Preda »

Actually,

about the gimmick with the so-called junk... I love it. Especially with the ROTF figures I always thought articulation and design were put above fun, and so far these DOTM figures actually look like something none of the ROTF figures did look like - like a toy.

I mean come on, is that
SPOILER! (select to read)
Ultimate Optimus Prime
so bad? So far it does not look like it has any more articulation than Cybertron Leader Prime, and that figure is just awesome and still one of my favorites.

The DOTM figures might have transformations that are more simply, and I would enjoy that, because even though I love the Masterpiece-ness of my ROTF Prime, this ain't no toy. Toys are for kids, and kids want gimmicks. And collectors can keep them in the box, so it does not matter.

Personally I am looking forward to the line, my wallet does not.
numbat

Post by numbat »

When you're right, you're right Preda.

Many of the ROTF figures were atrocious as toys - especially Leader Prime.

It is good that the new line does look to be a little more child friendly.

As I already have better versions of some of the characters from a collector's point of view, it will also be gentler on my finances.

Still, many of DOTM toys do look great, and I'm quite happy with simple transformations that deliver a good toy. I'm still a fan of Barricade and Classic Camaro Bumblebee from the first film.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released, as there are listings for DOTM toys on Ebay and Amazon, and I have seen quite a few at my local Toys'r'us. May post pictures if I remember to take them next week.
Destruction is my specialty
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

HeavyArms wrote:Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released, as there are listings for DOTM toys on Ebay and Amazon, and I have seen quite a few at my local Toys'r'us. May post pictures if I remember to take them next week.
Urm, well, yes. They had a street date of 5/16/2011. I've already got a small pile of them myself that I bought at a few local shops. It's fairly common practice these days to launch the line a month or so in advance to help build interest and to, well, sell more toys.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

HeavyArms wrote:Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released
Hmm . . . I might have a browse. Are there any huge spoilers in the line?
I like bears.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Like ROTF, a lot of the characters who show up in the toyline won't show up in the movie. That extends to at least a few of the guys who've gotten new molds made for them. Two of the more expensive toys are characters who they obviously wouldn't have made if they didn't show up in the film, but if you've seen the trailers you've probably already seen both of them anyway.
glazios

Post by glazios »

You'll have to forgive what's probably a dumb question to some, but I haven't really been keeping up with the Movie toylines. So, just out of curiosity, what characters are getting Leader-Class figures for this film?

I ask because I don't recall any news reports at Seibertron or TFW2005 detailing this info, and after following Optibotimus' and Peaugh's reviews as avidly as I do and hearing what they think of the DOTM line thus far, my curiosity is admittedly getting the better of me.

'Botimus almost had me sold on DOTM Megs earlier, but it's a Voyager-Class figure, and if there's a Leader-Class figure of it coming at some point, I doubt I'll bother picking it up.

That said, though, I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do anyway, even if a Leader Megs figure does come out, as I'm currently prepping to move house and money's going to start getting tight soon...
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

As far as I've heard there is going to be a Leader Sentinel Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, and Optimus. No word yet on any Decepticons as of yet.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

glazios wrote:'Botimus almost had me sold on DOTM Megs earlier, but it's a Voyager-Class figure, and if there's a Leader-Class figure of it coming at some point, I doubt I'll bother picking it up.
There's no bigger Megatron coming as far as I know. We might see another Leader or two announced at BotCon (barely a week away, WTF? How is it almost June already?), although between Bumblebee, Ironhide, Sentinel Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime we're only one short of the number of Leader and bigger molds that we saw for ROTF (Prime, Megatron, Jetfire, Ultimate Bumblebee and Devastator).

Me, I'd be happy with the Voyager mold if they give it a proper colour scheme somewhere down the road.
glazios

Post by glazios »

Hmm... Well, seeing as there's so many Autobots getting Leader-class figures for this film, I think it'd be bit strange if they didn't throw in a 'Con or two to even out the playing field. Granted, kids might have the Leaders from the previous films, but still...

Glad Ironhide is getting a Leader-class figure now, though. The character model deserves a figure of that size class.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Probably Shockwave or Megatron, or that massive thing from the trailers, will get a release, I guess.
numbat

Post by numbat »

What's with the hideous DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe (ROTF, blue and yellow repaint) and Bumblebee repaints that've just appeared in Sainsbury's? These the new shelfwarmers? They seem to have filled the shelves with these two figures alone!

Are they mainline, or some sort of US store exclusive that's found their way to the UK by the crateload?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:Are they mainline, or some sort of US store exclusive that's found their way to the UK by the crateload?
The latter.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:The latter.
Great. I know what'll be shelfwarming for the next year or two now!

They look awful!

Also items on eBay.
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Protoform

Post by Xeno-the-Hedgehog »

I recently picked up the Deluxe Crankcase figure. The figure looks awesome in both forms and has one of the most fluid transformations of any figure I've ever owned. It would be perfect...if its fingertips hadn't broken off.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It's worse than you think! Hasbro deliberately clipped them because of some combination of being afraid kids would poke their eyes out and realizing that making a toy with gigantic, upraised middle fingers might piss off some parents.

You'd think that would have been something they'd catch in the design phase, but no.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

If I understand correctly, there are now 3 variants of Crankcase's hands: Original Stabby McBird hands, the clipped finger, and one that has a completely different molded hand.
Regarding Crankcase, anyone else's toy have really tight dreadlocks that broke right away when you tried to move them? I'll be taking him back for a new one, but I'm wondering if that's a running problem or something I just got unlucky on for this one.
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Protoform

Post by Xeno-the-Hedgehog »

Waitaminute, you mean to tell me that I sent it back for NOTHING?!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Notabot wrote:If I understand correctly, there are now 3 variants of Crankcase's hands: Original Stabby McBird hands, the clipped finger, and one that has a completely different molded hand.
Regarding Crankcase, anyone else's toy have really tight dreadlocks that broke right away when you tried to move them? I'll be taking him back for a new one, but I'm wondering if that's a running problem or something I just got unlucky on for this one.
Don't play with Crankase's dreadlocks! They'll make you go blind!

I have an original Stabby McBird hands version, but the dreadlocks are glued in place, lacking the articulation the mould and instructions suggest was intended.

I think it may well be the case that no production versions actually have articulated dreads.

Thankfully I realised this when the dreadlocks started to crack, but before they snapped off.

A shame - they get in the way when posing (but not seriously so).

Also items on eBay.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I returned the one with the busted dreads, and the replacement one came missing a foot and with a weirdly rough back window. Someday I'll have a functioning Crankcase. Someday...

As for the dreadlocks, I'm not sure if they're glued or just pinned in really tightly. Either way, I'll be leaving them pretty much just as they are. My daughter suggested braiding them to keep them out of the way like she does with her hair. Maybe Masterpiece Crankcase will come with a comb and barrettes in hopes of getting girls into the line.