Generations/Fall of Cybertron Toys

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Warcry wrote:
The "Wreckers" combiner...really? They'll spring for new heads, but can't be bothered to paint anyone bar Roadbuster their proper colours? Just...why bother? They could be anyone.
I know, they may as well be. They're the "Wreckers" if you squint reeeeally hard.

It's a real shame, too -- this would be Impactor's first official release. The Roadbuster is passable, I guess.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Got Shockwave. He's a tad on the skinny side, but I like him a lot. Then again, I'm a sucker for Shockwave and I do love his WFC appearance.

As for the rest?

Jazz looks...meh. I think I prefer Sideswipe. I don't mind the Prime and poor Magnus. At least this time they gave him a new head. I'm curious what else Generations is going to bring us besides FoC toys. Hopefully that Scourge remold I think looks like Senator Ratbat perhaps?

Also...

ROADBUSTER!

I do like the look of him (and Swindle), so I'll be snagging him. Like Straxus, I gotta get the Roadbuster toy if only because I love the character.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

I dunno, as retool / repaints go, I think the Wreckers one is great. Not only is it a giant Marvel UK / LSOTW homage with the individual bots, but the combined mode head looks like a nod to Xarron.

Sure Impactor needs more purple, and Topspin and Whirl need more blue, but they all have good lookin' noggins, Impactor has his spear, Twintwist has his drills and Roadbuster's gun is big enough to be a Pathblaster. And I think the lack of Rotorstorm makes his joke in LSOTW better.

Hasbro really want their monies worth out of the FOC Combaticon moulds though - three paint schemes (standard Energon-inspired, BBTS exclusive G2, and SDCC exclusive G1/FOC game) plus a re-tool revealed and we haven't had the mass market release yet.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Those are ****ing appalling - as bad as those terrible Asian exclusives. Pick a mould at random, slap a trademark people owe some sort of allegiance to onto it, watch them convince themselves that that's totally like Impactor, wait for the money to roll in because you've got to have a Topspin to go with your Classics even if it looks nothing like Topspin whatsoever.

It makes perfect sense from Hasbro's point of view - cheap, imagination-free recolours and retools which keep trademarks alive in case they opt to make a proper toy of Twin Twist or whoever if he turns up in Prime or TF4. Sound economic decision.

What doesn't make sense is that people just keep falling for it, and that they routinely talk themselves into it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

With IDW seemingly contractually obliged to use the W/FOC designs I guess Impactor at least will be looking like this next time he Shows up, saving us having to Strain our imaginations.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Anyone else see these?

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ay-175465/

Grimlock, Blaster, Soundwave, Rumble, Ravage, and Ultra Magnus are going to put a hurtin' on my wallet...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Not much that interested me, the FOC Voyagers seem to have a gimmick forced into their upper body.

Wrecker Whirl is fine by me, G2 Bruticus seems awesome just for the packaging and that MP Thundercracker is long due.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Wrecker Whirl? I must have missed that one. What line is he in?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:Wrecker Whirl? I must have missed that one. What line is he in?
They redecoed FoC Bruticus as the Wreckers. Badly. :(
inflatable dalek wrote:With IDW seemingly contractually obliged to use the W/FOC designs I guess Impactor at least will be looking like this next time he Shows up, saving us having to Strain our imaginations.
Shit, don't give them any ideas. They'd do it.

Taking a second look, I just can't get over how phenominally wasteful the whole thing seems. I mean...I get that Hasbro needs to use the molds more than once to ammortize the cost of designing them, and I get that there's not necessarily going to be a good choice of characters to use them as. I don't begrudge them that, even if I'm generally not too interested in the toys that result.

But this is just so...half-assed. Blurr and Skullgrin prove that Hasbro can take a toy, repaint it into someone entirely unrelated and still get something pretty nice-looking out of it. But these? They're just so damned ugly, both individually and combined.

What really gets me though, is how much effort they went through to come up with something so half-assed. Everyone has new heads and everyone has new weapons, because somewhere along the line they were actually trying to give the figures some resemblance to the characters they're supposed to be. But then the deco department painted everyone orange for some reason (except for Roadbuster, who should be mostly orange but is mostly green). If they're going to slap random colours on the figures anyway, why even bother with any of that? It's not like the figures wound up looking anything like who they're supposed to be. And Roadbuster, Whirl and Topspin, I think, would've looked pretty good in the characters' traditional colours even if they weren't particularly G1.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Warcry wrote: But then the deco department painted everyone orange for some reason (except for Roadbuster, who should be mostly orange but is mostly green).
Someone, somewhere else pointed out that they might be an homage to the RID Ruination/Baldigus guys. The overall color schemes kinda, sorta match up with the limb parts (white shuttle, green all-terrain vehicle, blue tank, blue helicopter).

Not so much on that "Impactor", though, which pretty much tosses the whole idea out...

Still not seeing much sense going to all the trouble remolding the heads and weapons (aside from securing copyrights) when they could have just as easily been Mega-Octane and company.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:They redecoed FoC Bruticus as the Wreckers. Badly. :(
Wow. Those are kinda fugly. Not that Bruticus was beautiful to look at anyways, but damn. Maybe I will change my mind about them when I see them at retail.

In an odd sense, I'm getting excited again for TF's even though I won't buy a vast majority of these. At least it's an aesthetic I kind of enjoy without them being straight up Classics. And I like the Legends class 'tapes' for Soundwave and Blaster. That's a great idea.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I guess I'm the only one who's remotely interested in them? Wrecker Whirl gets a purchase by me for the head alone [hey, blame Roberts, I'm a Whirl fan] and the others might look decent up close.

RUINATION, whilst a Decepticon combiner name, falls [badly] into their ranks [rack'n'ruin?].

I find it funny that we've seen FOUR redecos of the Bruticus combiners so far [SDCC, Regular retail in energon colours, G2 and Wreckers] and the moulds have *just* been released in their first scheme. I mean, that's almost short of seeker repaint stats.

Still waiting on a decent video\pictoral review for the moulds.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

IMO, those Wreckers don't look too bad. I'll snag them if I can afford it. That Grimlock is super sweet though, and he's definitely on my "must get" list.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Maybe my eyesight is worse than I thought, Maybe my phone screen resolution isn't good enough, but I can't actually make out the names on those projections of the Wreckes. And other than Whirl, I'm not entirely sure who is who.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

inflatable dalek wrote:Maybe my eyesight is worse than I thought, Maybe my phone screen resolution isn't good enough, but I can't actually make out the names on those projections of the Wreckes. And other than Whirl, I'm not entirely sure who is who.
I found the official pics up elsewhere. They look...meh for the most part. I was all excited for a new Roadbuster and an official Impactor, but I might have to go ahead and get the iGear one instead. Now I've got a full time job (and a good raise 90 days in), it'll be easier to talk my wife into random purchases.

I'll probably get the Wreckers because I'm a sucker for combiners and the Wreckers, and a few of them don't look terrible (Roadbuster and the former Jumpstarters). Not sure if they'll stay their original decos or characters, or if I'll use them as fill ins elsewhere (like use Topspin for Blast Off).

Grimlock actually looks a lot better then I initially thought.

Soundwave, Soundblaster, and Blaster are...meh. I love the idea of getting the cassette leaders back with some cassettes. What I dislike is how the "data disks" end up looking. Also, I have no real desire for Soundblaster, but damn it I want Buzzsaw.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Warcry wrote:G2 Bruticus (and his packaging even moreso) are giving me a huge nostalgia rush. How much time did I stand in the store staring at G2 toys with that exact package design? Don't think I'm actually interested in owning it, though.
Well, I caved on that in record time. Obviously I need to stay away from the computer after going drinking after work...

Odds are I'm going to completely forget I preordered the thing by the time November rolls around, too.
Knightdramon wrote:I find it funny that we've seen FOUR redecos of the Bruticus combiners so far [SDCC, Regular retail in energon colours, G2 and Wreckers] and the moulds have *just* been released in their first scheme. I mean, that's almost short of seeker repaint stats.
Yes, but...well, it's Bruticus. How many different colour schemes has the original had? Off the top of my head I count seven. I'm sure they'll get around to Battle Gaia and Desert Camo Ruination one day, too.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

To be fair, the original was only recoloured to hell and back around 15 years after the mould's release. Not within the same year :swirly:

Wreckers pics aren't final. Their vehicle modes are photoshopped Combaticons, they have different weapons in each mode and I'm certain hasbro isn't feeling that generous.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I got to admit, though, regardless on if I like any of these figures, the recent price ramp on the deluxes have officially put them out of range for me. There's money to be better spent elsewhere... the fact that we're getting another price hike before Christmas is really a point of no return for me.

It's Bruticus, a personal favorite, but I can't remotely justify buying any version of him. Heck, for the price, I can very nearly get an original or reissue...

So, my Transformers buying seems like it'll be limited to Kre-O minifigs. :P
CarmelFell55
Protoform

Riveting post, I couldn't pull my eyes away.

Post by CarmelFell55 »

THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this Link
numbat

Post by numbat »

'The Wreckers' look rather daft to me, but, hey, it's a toyline for kids who don't have 20+ years of fanboy bagage, and I'm sure it'll work for them.

I'd love to get a 'G2 Bruticus', but is there any way to order one affordably in the UK?

Glad to see MP-10 is getting it's US release - might pick him up assuming he's roughly in scale with MP Soundwave (and affordable). Can't stomach the import prices on the Japanese version, and I really like my MP-04.

Also very pleased to see Jetwing Prime with a US release (I gather?) - is he going to be widely available, and at what sort of price? Again, the import prices narrowly put me off the Japanese version.

Also tempted by RID Prime Ultra Magnus and Skyquake. Especially Skyquake...

I could end up buying Voyager Grimlock in a moment of weakness as well, but I'll wait and see on that one.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.