2014 Japan-exclusive toys: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

:D MP23 and MP24

MP:23, Exhaust, Malboro repaint of Wheeljack with Decepticon Symbol. February 2015.

MP24: Star Saber [well duh], March 2015 release, 18.000 yen [same price as Magnus]. :clap:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Exhaust looks cool. And he's a Decepticon! Whoop. Will definitely be looking at picking him up - will make a nice foe for Tigertrack :) (Behold! The Diaclone Wars!!!!)
Clay

Post by Clay »

I... actually quite like Exhaust at a glance. Will wait to see more of him, though.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Exhaust has a BinAlt feel to me... A random made-up character to allow reuse of a mould. I really hope Masterpiece doesn't go too far down that route... That said, if it finances the creation of actual new moulds and genuine characters, I'm all for it.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I really like that the MP line is homaging the Transformers Diaclone heritage. It definitely keeps my interest going. I've no desire to own another version of a character I have five of already, so to see something a bit different is much more exciting to me.

Plus, its only the same as those E-Hobby releases from 10 years ago (Tigertrack, Crosscut, Clampdown, Deepcover, Magnificus etc etc). And they cost the same!
Tripredacus
Protoform

Post by Tripredacus »

I wonder if a Marlboor or Marlboro repro sticker set will be made for that eventually. That only reason I'd want one.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

:lol::lol::lol::lol: at the sh!t storm at tfw2005 over these 2 being numbered releases.

On our positive side, yeah, I concur about Exhaust being a bit whatever, but at least it's a kickass deco and the headsculpt is very nice.

Very surprised at how [relatively] affordable Star Saber is. At the size, complexity and engineering of him I'd have guessed closer to 25.000 yen, but it's 18.000 yen.

Meaning, after HLJ's discount and before shipping, he'll be like 70-80 pounds like my Magnus is.

That's some affordable collecting.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No real surprise here, the only difference between this and Masterpiece Tigertracks is the later had already been pressed into service as a cheap and cheerful reuse of a toy before.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Both looking really good, very impressed. Exhaust was pretty much inevitable since the day MP Wheeljack was announced, it being the only real possible repaint, but the colours and head are really well done, I love the blue windscreen!

Star Sabre (yes, I refuse to spell it "Saber") looks cool as hell in robot mode, I'm just not really feeling the alt mode. Hope the transformation has a few surprises because at first glance it looks quite simple. Although they are display pieces, I do like to have the occasional fiddle with my MPs, if only to marvel at the engineering - innovative yet fun.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Liking Exhaust very much... cash-in, yes, but I'm a sucker for the really mental Diaclone stuff (my main problem with Tigertracks is he's really boring) and he's nicely done... It's not like there's been an eHobby reissue or anything, nice to finally get the scheme on something that costs less than a house. TBH my attitude is very much that Takara can do what the **** they need to keep the line viable if the quality of the main figures keeps as high as it has done, and I'll go for Exhaust if I can, not to mention Crosscut, Policestreaker and Artfire when they hit.

Star Saber's pure sex, if I can find the funds I'm seriously interested. Always wanted some version of the guy because I like the blend of TF and Popy but was never going to pay much for the collection of egg boxes that was the original.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Exhaust isn't too much of a surprise, though I figured we would've ended up with a Slicer first, being slightly less-obscure than the Diaclone deco.

Name's a bit pun-y.

But it's cool. Will look lovely alongside Tigertrack and the inevitable Powered Convoy deco of MP Ultra Magnus.
Tripredacus
Protoform

Post by Tripredacus »

Oooo Slicer. There's an idea. I totally forgot about that guy. (Which isn't hard since I've never seen one ever)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Cliffjumper wrote: Star Saber's pure sex, if I can find the funds I'm seriously interested. Always wanted some version of the guy because I like the blend of TF and Popy but was never going to pay much for the collection of egg boxes that was the original.
:lol::lol::lol:

Finally somebody that shares my view on the original.

This one looks nice enough. Will go straight to the villains shelf when he arrives [using IDW as a template], against Magnus and Rodimus.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

zigzagger wrote:Powered Convoy deco of MP Ultra Magnus.
If they do this, I may be interested... :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IDW? Pah, we're talking TMUK here bro.
zigzagger wrote:Exhaust isn't too much of a surprise, though I figured we would've ended up with a Slicer first, being slightly less-obscure than the Diaclone deco.

Name's a bit pun-y.

But it's cool. Will look lovely alongside Tigertrack and the inevitable Powered Convoy deco of MP Ultra Magnus.
Slicer looks like ass is the problem there. Nasty pink-turquoise Seacon-looking piece of crap, completely off the palette for the line. I can see him being a convention exclusive or something to hoover up some idiot tax, but nah, a good choice made.

Powered Convoy I'd actually be tempted by. I liked Magnus as a character back when he was one but I never really warmed to his design - crap toy, poor Aquafresh colour scheme, lack of alt mode features in media. The MP takes care of two of those and a Powered Convoy redeco would round it off... There's the Diaclone thing and I just plain like those colours more, still got the PVC of the guy in that scheme somewhere and I really do think it looks stronger in the movie preview reel too.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I could probably go for a Slicer as well, horrible colours and all... :D
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Personally I wish they'd just reissue the original [Star Saber], mostly because MP is one of the lines I've dropped in an attempt to bring some sort of uniformity to my collection - but at least he'll still be better than that dinky Robot Masters toy I already have. Only question is whether there'll be a Victory Leo down the road, too.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Both now up at hlj.

Both preordered, no questions asked.

Kind of funny that both Magnus and Saber are more complex than Prime, but he is more expensive than both of them.

Possibly the all silver huge trailer ends up eating a lot into that pricepoint.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Official pictures!

Exhaust
Star Saber

Well, I do believe I'm nearly sold on this Exhaust fellow... the head seems to homage the Diaclone toy's head rather than the cartoon model, so it's win/win in a duo with Wheeljack, yes?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Maybe it's just me, but the lack of sponsor decals on "Exhaust" makes him look so much slicker than the way-too-busy Wheeljack. It's no Slicer, but I'm seriously considering putting in a preorder.

I wonder how much shipping is from Japan to Canada...