2014 Japan-exclusive toys: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

They're optional on display. Looks like they tuck down on his back, behind the windshield.

The ones Smokescreen uses *could* be clip ons. Either way he should be compatible with the launchers Prowl and Streak use...but are amazon exclusives. The launchers ON the toys are fixed on.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

So if I buy two, I might be able to get one servicable figure? Bargain!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

No. Even better.

Each Prowl or Streak comes with ONE amazon exclusive launcher.

So to get a set of two you'll have to...buy both figures but only have enough accessories to display one of them the "exclusive" way ;)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

What, seriously? Each toy only comes with one launcher? Didn't know that.

That's ridiculous.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Utterly pointless... there'll be third party alternatives before anyone can blink.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yes, each toy comes with one exclusive launcher if you get it from amazon.

Just to clarify though, both Prowl and Streak have their own built in cannons, the extra amazon launchers are optional. Should be toy or comic book accurate, I guess?

And yes, there will be 3rd party chromed and die cast, maybe even working launchers. They did it for Soundwave's and Sideswipe's accessories.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ah, yeah... apparently each toy will have two in-built ugly cannons like these.

And Amazon preorders get one of these pretty ones.

The built-in ones are fairly horrid and I'm not sure what they're supposed to homage. The cartoon model doesn't really look like that... not with giant big gaping holes, anyway, while both the toy and modern comics are represented by the Amazon one.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

More Smokescreen...

And more Metroplex...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Prowl's packaging was also on display, but not Streak's.

Loving retro Smokescreen more and more.

Lots of new takara generations figures, though really expensive. Bumblebee, Pax vs Megatronus two pack [great paint on both], Trailbreaker with Hoist two pack [tiny picture, couldn't make out if there's any differences], the aforementioned Metroplex, Goldbug [listing only, no pictures].

If/when takara announces MP20 in the show on Friday/Saturday it'll make my day.

Any bets on who it'll be? I'm guessing Magnus [MP10 Cab with new trailer], Megatron V2.0 or Galvatron.

If it's something mundane like Soundblaster I'll cry.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Considering the only slight difference in price between importing the US and Japanese versions of Metroplex, that looks quite tempting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Oh, I'd forgotten how I don't much care for Smokescreen's animation model. Shame, I like my original version and was interested to see how he would turn out as an MP. Metroplex looks better in these pics than in the previous shots seen, but I still have concerns about how solid this thing will be. Modern TFs are so hollow and cheap feeling, especially the current Generations stuff.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Our next Masterpiece is....

-drumroll-

Generation Two Sideswipe!

G2 Sideswipe is based on his appearance in the G2 comics, with the spiky shoulder wheels and the two chunky Yaniger handguns. I do hope that he won't be entirely black as a final product, though.

Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

The Lambo is a great mould but I've already got Tigertrack on order and don't really need it a fourth time... I might have been tempted but I'm not feeing the colours on this guy. Shouldn't the crotch, legs and head be red?
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

He's missing the red and neon green, yeah.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If they'd confirmed this during the shortages of the first one I'd have jumped at it.

BTW, I assume this means that Takara have negotiated ongoing use of the car model and that a rest-of-world release (for the original) might not be out of the question?
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Denyer wrote:If they'd confirmed this during the shortages of the first one I'd have jumped at it.

BTW, I assume this means that Takara have negotiated ongoing use of the car model and that a rest-of-world release (for the original) might not be out of the question?
AIUI, just because Takara have gotten the Lamborghini licence in the Far East, doesn't mean Hasbro can do the same in Europe and the USA. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
Transform And Roll-Out
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The rumour was that they'd withdrawn it completely, and no more use of the mould for anyone, IIRC. The fact they're still advertising Tigertrack and this is fairly positive.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yeah that rumour was short-lived. Never taking that "informer's" word again, ever since he got MP10 and 11 correctly he's been nothing but bullshit all the time.

G2 Sideswipe won't get a separate designation/slot, he's just MP12G. Would like his robot parts being red/lime green though, as the original toy. Hopefully this is just a rough prototype. Definitely getting him though.

MP20 is said to be a car they originally had trouble getting the rights for, so watch out for Jazz/Wheeljack/Bumblebee and maybe Mirage.

Furthermore, they're conducting a poll for a future MP release based almost exclusively on Japanese leaders, from Fort Max to Galaxy Convoy. Including the beast leaders. Most people at tfw2005 just went mental at that thinking that TT betrayed their trust, slept with their mother and sacrificed their newborn to the jackals.

I am seeing this as a pretty sure way to get either a Fortress Maximus or Star Saber in MP form, and would love either [slowly edging to Fort Max]. Would prefer Fort Max to be a tad taller than MP10, thus granting him access to my MTMTE Lost Light Crew.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Well, VW and Porsche are strictly off-limits, so I'd be surprised if it's BB or Jazz. According to another site's translation, MP20 will be a 'concept car', so probably Sunstreaker or Wheeljack.

Of all the choices on the Japanese MP vote, I'd go for Powermaster Prime myself. That's probably the only one I'd buy; I was never a fan of Fort Max and have no love for Masterforce or Victory.
Transform And Roll-Out
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wheeljack might be off-limits too (cf. Dino); Ferrari are tight with licencing, not sure about the rest of the Fiat group - that said an MP might be the sort of thing which would swing it. Sunstreaker's probably more likely if they've got some sort of relationship to whoever owns Lambo this week.

Mirage would, I would theorise, be one of the easier guys to get the rights to as it's possible with Ligier > Prost > Phoenix that they either belong to nobody or belong to someone who'll take a lot less money that a major manufacturer would. The main reason we've not seen a Ligier Mirage is that there's not been a lot of call for one when any blue/white racing car (or in the case of Alternators, a completely different car) would do the job. There probably hasn't been a lot of desire from any design teams to do an F1 car Transformer properly as it'd be pretty difficult to do on a scale much bigger than G1 Mirage. On MP scale/detail, where you (theoretically) can't cheat and make the spoiler, suspension etc. thicker it might be a bit of a mare.

It will be interesting to see what will happen when they 'run out' of guys they can seal the licencing on; will the likes of Bee and Jazz (seeing as Volkswagen seem to be unmoving on this) get new alt modes? Get genericised just enough like ROTF Sideways (which, TBH, I'm not sure anyone but car nerds would mind/notice)? Get skipped altogether?