Transformers Generations 'Thrilling 30' Toy News

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

But where's the"Udders"?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

More pics of Rattrap, plus Crosscut and Beast Machines Tankor

Notably, no pics of Nightbeat even though he was rumoured to be in the same wave as these three.

Rattrap is looking good, for sure. I'm indifferent to Crosscut and actively dislike BM, so I don't care much for Tankor.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Do you know, I am terribly nonplussed by redoing BW toys. With the articulation and general design those toys had, these Generations versions don't seem like such a massive step forward. Tankor is kind of nice, but the BM Basic Tank Drone on which this is based is a nice little toy with the added bonus of chrome and vacuum metalizing that puts it head and shoulders above this update.

Crosscut there just to get some extra use out of the Skids mould, which is kind of nice, but a fairly minor character all things considered.

Despite my grumblings, its nice that Hasbro are picking out other parts of the franchise to Generations-ize. Although I'll be there'll be some uncomfortable shoe horning into IDWs comics.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Skyquake87 wrote: Crosscut there just to get some extra use out of the Skids mould, which is kind of nice, but a fairly minor character all things considered.
When they announced Crosscut I was expecting a doofy looking green Decepticon. I'd of been happier with a doofy green Decepticon who's transformation gimmick is that his arms and legs are spring loaded and he pops apart when you push him into something.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Liking Crosscut. Too bad it is almost certainly NOT going to be that shade of silver.

A bit indifferent on Tankor, but it's good that beast machines are getting some recognition. Would have preferred him to be a voyager.

Rattrap looks like a dream come true. Too bad that I'm again, almost certain some parts of his rat mode are going to be rubber [possibly the entire flap with his tail on].

It's what held me from getting Rhinox. If it's the same on Rattrap, then it's a pass again. Probably.

Now Universe Cheetor and Dinobot look even more like crap than they were before. YAY
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Warcry wrote:More pics of Rattrap, plus Crosscut and Beast Machines Tankor

Notably, no pics of Nightbeat even though he was rumoured to be in the same wave as these three.

Rattrap is looking good, for sure. I'm indifferent to Crosscut and actively dislike BM, so I don't care much for Tankor.
I'm REALLY liking Tankor's design. He has the look that he carries plenty of firepower and has melee capabilities at the same time.

I'm thinking he's the winner for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
numbat

Post by numbat »

Tankor looks worse than his BM original... Very disappointing. I really liked the original design and a good updated figure would have been an easy sell to me.

Afraid I've never gotten in to BW, so Rattrap's a firm pass.

Crosscut looks pretty neat at least.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Tankor is a boo :(

Rattrap doesn't look as spectacular as Waspinator or Rhinox, but I will buy it nonetheless because it's a Rattrap toy that doesn't look sucky. I don't really care either way about Crosscut.

Now if only these toys, you know, show up here.

EDIT: Whoa, you don't look at toy news for two months and suddenly a lot of awesome shit shows up in listings. Brainstorm and Roadbuster, being Voyager class toys, seem to have the potential to be awesome -- having a Roadbuster to go with Springer and Whirl would be very grand. Sky-Byte is unexpected, but since he's Voyager I doubt I will get him -- space is a premium, see. Nightbeat would be grand. Arcee, Hardhead and Jhiaxus seem to be why they keep showing up like a bad stain in the comics. Arcee, if based on the G1 design and not the crap WFC one, would be pretty decent. I personally don't mind the hunchback Jhiaxus for some reason, but the Stryker tank Hardhead I don't like. Gears is obvious, although I think I'm more interested in Gnaw. Movie-wise I have no idea since most of them are probably just stand-in names and whatnot, but it sure looks to be a fair bit more organized than the DOTM fiasco.
inflatable dalek

I said Sky Bite was really likely considering him randomly showing up in the comics and being the breakout character who'd best represent RID in the anniversary line didn't I? Have they announced my other reasonably certain bet, Star Sabre yet?

I'm actually mildly surprised they're bothering to do a BM toy considering that Rattrap/Rhinox/Waspinator could have been considered to fairly represent the entire Beast era.

Of course, thanks to Hasbro/IDW they're all G1 characters now...

Slightly OT, but annoyingly the fan club exclusive Chromedome I mocked previously in the past (I mean, what a rubbish reuse of the Prime Wheeljack toy, right?) actually looks Exactly Right for the MTMTE version.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

inflatable dalek wrote:I said Sky Bite was really likely considering him randomly showing up in the comics and being the breakout character who'd best represent RID in the anniversary line didn't I? Have they announced my other reasonably certain bet, Star Sabre yet?
Aha!

Two random non-G1 characters shoehorned into an ill-fitting role on two different comics, who proceed to contribute jack shit to the story yet it's impossible to read the arc without coming across them!

And it would really stand to reason why they didn't let Arcee, Jhiaxus and Hardhead's stupid dead horse plot just die. Next thing we know, Nova Prime and Garnak will be having toys.
I'm actually mildly surprised they're bothering to do a BM toy considering that Rattrap/Rhinox/Waspinator could have been considered to fairly represent the entire Beast era.
Indeed, considering last time they only bothered to do Dinobot and a half-assed Cheetor, it's a welcome surprise that more and more Beast characters are being done. Tankor was completely unexpected, too, shame the toy doesn't look any good -- which really is kinda inexcusable since show!Tankor is a relatively simple design.
Of course, thanks to Hasbro/IDW they're all G1 characters now...
Screw IDW, seriously. That Armada Starscream body appearing randomly in Dark Cybertron is completely stupid and would serve no purpose than to piss off G1 fans reading the comic as well as the target demographic for the toy, Armada fans.
Slightly OT, but annoyingly the fan club exclusive Chromedome I mocked previously in the past (I mean, what a rubbish reuse of the Prime Wheeljack toy, right?) actually looks Exactly Right for the MTMTE version.
What fan club Chromedome? (looks up) Oh, that. Pretty decent attempt, actually.

Chromedome's lack of a toy in the Generations line, is, I wager, the reason he's inconspicuously absent from the MTMTE lineup in BIG BAD IMPORTANT Dark Cyberton, of which I have only read one single issue of.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Rattrap: -looking at the pictures of himself- "Hey, hey! I do look pretty good, don't I?"

Nightbeat: "At least they've released images of your figure. Looking at the designs in the comics, I'm going to wind up looking like a Kia Soul."

Rattrap: -shudders- "Dere is one t'ing dat'd make it better, ya know."

Nightbeat: "I hate to ask, but what?"

Rattrap: "Makin' a update'a my Transmetal body. Ya know, a robot mode dat looks like I did on da show, an' makin' a nice, shiny version'a my vehicle mode. Ya gotta give da public da real Stainless Steel Rat."

Nightbeat: -looking at pics of Tankor- "Yeah..... don't hold your breath." -sniffs- "Change that. Please, PLEASE hold your breath."

Rattrap: "Jeez. You sayin' dat limburger an' week old camonbert don't make a good sandwich?"

Nightbeat: "No. If you like cheese, it works. I guess. Although the international treaty ban on chemical weapons might take issue with that......"
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heinrad, why aren't you writing RID? Pay attention John Barber, this is how Rattrap sounds.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ade/29124/

Nightbeat sadly is a repaint of RTS Jazz, and Jhiaxus, equally sadly, a repaint of Armada Starscream.

:(
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

:lol: That's just terrible! I love that Jazz mold, but it might just be the worst choice for Nightbeat out of all possible Generations-style car molds.

[EDIT]And a homage to RiD Jhiaxus the what now? People didn't even like that toy at the time, did they?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Of course, these apparently aren't official Hasbro images so I am fervently hoping that it's someone's idea of a joke. I, for one, would've thought Nightbeat would be a sure retool of the new Goldbug mould...

And besides Jazz was part of the older, larger deluxe size, no? What is Hasbro doing releasing larger deluxes as part of the downsized line?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Interesting news and reaction.

I don't know WHAT people were expecting from Jhiaxus, since his G2/REgeneration body doesn't look like it transforms into anything. This at least serves as an homage to the only other figure Jhiaxus ever received.

Nightbeat, if true, is a bit meh. And if this is indeed his toy, I expect him to be promptly destroyed, then rebuilt back and onto the good side again in the comics.

HOWEVER, since at least FOUR retools in the previous generations line didn't make the cut (Jazz with alternate head, Warpath as Hardhead, Scourge as Ratbat, Perceptor as Reflector and one or more that elude me now], maybe this is what we were intended to have back then?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I wouldn't mind the Armada Stars cream mould as Jhiaxus if this does prove to be true - all depends on the final deco.

Jazz as Night beat is poor, but, hey, redecos often stretch things a bit.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Considering both versions of jhiaxus have been based on some form of Starscreram toy that almost makes sense... or it would if they were using the original Classics mould to represent the G2 version, or one of the movie toys to represent the IDW version. It's actually impressive they've managed to go for one Starscream who in no way shape or form looks even a little Jhiaxusey.

As for Nightbeat... ****ing hell, they'll give Scoop a new toy but not bloody Nightbeat? Why? Oh hell, he's going to wind up looking like that in the comic isn't he? Lets hope he doesn't survive Dark Cybertron.
Clay

Post by Clay »

After skimming through the output of the "Classics" series from the past few years, I was surprised at how limited the body shapes of the car figures are. As they've been slowly putting out new iterations of the 1984/1985 set, it's left little in the way of variety. They should have made a Breakdown or Dead End or something years ago - someone with a chest under the car frame. Could've been used to make three Stunticons, a passable Nightbeat, and any number of other characters.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Knightdramon wrote:I don't know WHAT people were expecting from Jhiaxus, since his G2/REgeneration body doesn't look like it transforms into anything.
Didn't stop them from making a kickass Straxus toy despite him being as abstract as Jhiaxus was. ;)

It's the orange-ness of Jhiaxus that kind of put me off. I wouldn't mind so much if he was painted in G2 colours, but orange just makes me think 'Sunstorm' and not 'Jhiaxus'. Though really my disappointment over Nightbeat might just be bleeding over -- the fact that they're doing anything for Jhiaxus is a win in and of itself.

Probably not going to get any of the three here, though Jhiaxus would be tempting if he goes on clearance, if only for the fact that the orange-and-black deco looks pretty good.
Knightdramon wrote:(Jazz with alternate head, Warpath as Hardhead, Scourge as Ratbat, Perceptor as Reflector and one or more that elude me now], maybe this is what we were intended to have back then?
Oooh, I'd like that Warpath-Hardhead retool. Missed out on the Warpath mould back then, and Hardhead's one of my favourite designs. Would certainly prefer a Warpath retool than the stupid random blotchy design he currently has in IDW. I think I'm tempted by Reflector as well.

The other one was, IIRC, Arcee, which may or may not be a repaint, but was also seen in that big list of repaints back then.