OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Those both look pretty sweet! I'll definitely need to track down Ricochet. Not sure if I need another Swoop or not but I suppose that'll depend on whether these are selling for regular Deluxe price, or a jacked-up MSRP like Counterpunch, Repugnus and Blast-Off were.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Er, so Ricochet looks nice....

Haven't really found much to get excited about with POTP, tbh. It's definitely felt like a line that's been treading water somewhat. There's only been the Terrorcons and Predacons that I've got a lot out of.

Siege looks decent, but ...I dunno if I can muster up anymore enthusiasm for another round of G1 updates.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Wow. That's a lot. Nice figure, but... wow. $400... What was MP10? About $100 or so..?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Skyquake87 wrote:Wow. That's a lot. Nice figure, but... wow. $400... What was MP10? About $100 or so..?
I think it ran $130-150 on initial release in the US.

That V3 OP does look pretty sweet, but not $440 sweet
Clay

Post by Clay »

MP10 was $120 the one time I saw it at TRU before the stock disappeared.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Think I paid about fifty quid for MP-01, and the designs have been downhill since that.

It's a gift to bootleggers, isn't it?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Generations Book 2019 has pics detailing the transformation.

That is one hell of a transformation. People also seem to be saying it'll have some manner of sound gimmick
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So apparently they'll make a toy of anyone nowadays...

I have no idea who "Greenlight" is, but the comments make it sound like she was random background extra in some cartoon episode. I was about to make a snide remark about that until I remembered I own a toy of Acid Storm. I guess Hasbro is trying to cater to the folks who were annoyed that not every POTP figure was part of a distinct team, and wanted a full set of girls to combine with Elita?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

And on the reissue front...

Optimus Prime...without the trailer?

Astrotrain won a fan vote.

Both choices I can get behind! I've actually been thinking for years about tracking down a used Prime cab to go with the trailer that survived my childhood, so this is right up my alley, even if it's a bit surprising overall. And I don't recall ever seeing the early 2000s Astrotrain reissue in stores at all.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pretty nice, might be tempted by a Prime. :up:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Interesting. Wonder if the trailer mold is no longer viable or if this is just to make a Prime reissue cheaper? Not interested in another Astrotrain reissue. He's not the greatest Triple-Changer, or classic toy out there.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'd say cost. There are probably a decent number of Prime moulds that've survived or been added to over the years, but the trailer makes it a larger ticket item and adds to shipping and storage. Also fewer toy-specific stores that'll bet on selling them.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, I could see Walmart being a bit gunshy about selling Prime with all his accessories. Especially if Devastator didn't sell as well as the other, smaller releases in this year's wave. Without the trailer I'm guessing Prime would sell for somewhere in the same neighborhood as Hot Rod or Starscream.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Possible/probable Bumblebee movie Prime. Quite a neat aesthetic.

https://i.imgur.com/qBC2FBt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LjH2YKU.jpg
Hound

Post by Hound »

Remember when Michael Bay told all of us fans that if you made a Transformers movie with TFs that had original TF designs they would look terrible on screen?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Arguably it was sort of true... rendering has improved in the last ten years and the films "get away with" the CGI to an extent because of being over-complicated and fast-moving so the audience doesn't get a lot of chance to focus on shots that haven't been heavily tweaked.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, he was right in the sense that you couldn't just toss G1 Prime on-screen beside live-action footage without it looking silly, and the traditional designs definitely needed to be revised to work on the big screen. But he was also clearly using that as an excuse for some decisions that were based on style, not need. Because the Bee movie designs prove it was entirely possible to keep the G1 silhouettes intact and make the characters distinctive and recognizable, while still making them fit better alongside real-life scenes (and really, while CGI tech has improved in the last decade I'm sure they could have done this in 2007 if they'd really wanted to). Making them heavily detailed with lots of visible mechanical parts was probably unavoidable, but turning them into monstrous-shaped, colourless whorls made up entirely of spikes, greebles and tin foil? Nah. Bay just thought it would look cooler that way.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm still hoping the trailer used unfinished CGI, but I think the Cybertron bit in it kind of prooves Bay's claim, it looks incredibly cheap and nasty, like an escaped computer game cut scene.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!