OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I don't know if that's an option for these guys. :( From what I've read, they're getting a mass release in Mainland Asia, but in Japan they're a TakaraTomy Mall exclusive (and that site will only ship them within Japan). They'll still likely be pretty widely available, but I don't think we'll be able to get the same preorder discounts on them as we could on stuff that gets released to all the usual Japanese retailers.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

So they've managed to make a G1 Ultra Magnus that transforms into RiD Ultra Magnus now? :confused:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Denyer wrote:Flywheels looks very nice.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/10/04/nycc ... ges-373346
Yep. I'm jazzed up about this line. Better start saving!

I'm pumped for that Starscream, but also disappointed by his giant backpack. The tetrajet mode is cool though.

And is it just me, or does Megs' head look a little too wide?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Am I the only one who thinks that the "dirt and battle damage" paint apps really take away from the look of the figures that have it? I've just never been a fan of that look, not even on customs that have put a lot more effort into it. Aside from that...

Megatron's robot mode looks nice from the angles we've got. The head is maybe a bit large, as ganon says, but not so much that I mind. The alt-mode suffers for it, though, being basically a box with feet.

The core Shockwave robot looks nice, but the random gun bits don't do anything for me and mostly seem to be there to pad out a Voyager-ish figure to the Leader price point. I don't think we see what his standalone alt-mode is either (if there is one).

Reflector is going to be impossible to find. Most people who want one, will want at least three.

Laserbeak is nifty. Ravage less so.

Starscream is approaching Universe Silverbolt levels of under-kibble and backpack, and he seems to have taken a visit to Greeble City. Maybe I'll like the mold better in Thundercracker or Skywarp colours?

Soundwave would look great, but again, too heavy on the greebles and he transforms by laying down.

Flywheels looks to be a big improvement on Battletrap, and Battletrap wasn't bad.

Brunt is kinda blah, colour-wise. Is that the mold that the fan vote Impactor will end up using, I wonder?

Air Strike Patrol! Well, half of them anyway. Nice. And I think I see Aimless and Blowpipe in there.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Some stock photos/renders

Yay, Brunt. Also, Soundwave is a lamp? For real?

I actually like Shoctowave, giant tentacle monster.

Reflector is just evil. Buy the toy... Three times!
Clay

Post by Clay »

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... der/42210/

Takara legends big power... powered?... whatever it is, color pictures of it. Apparently they're doing the same thing they did with grand maximus and want a certain number of preorders before committing to production, which is reasonable for such a goofy figure. I do think the mold reuse is pretty clever, and I do like the molds used anyway. Sure, put me down for one to encourage them to keep revisiting the good weird stuff* as much as these particular figures.

*the bad weird stuff would be the likes of kiss players.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Impressive to see the extent of the changes. It's the sort of thing it'd be nice to have in a Japanese line pseudo-G1 CHUG ensemble, but a bit hard to justify the space/price.
Clay

Post by Clay »

New Studio Series stuff revealed from the various conventions this weekend include:

TF1 Optimus Prime voyager (heavy remold of ROTF Prime)
Leader sized DOTM Megatron and ROTF Jetfire
Voyager Bonecrusher finally. That only took eleven years...

New Prime looks sharp, better chest. I'll take a wild guess and say that the ROTF version, that's out now, is the one that actually combines with the new Jetfire as opposed to the upcoming Optimus remold.

EDIT: Pictures! And apparently I'm wrong :(. Jetfire can combine with the new Prime too :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

You guys! YOU GUYS!!!

Studio Devastator

Actually made out of transforming constructicons... that are also somehow accurate... WTF?!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm pretty excited for a lot of the upcoming Studio Series figures. They seem a bit more interesting to me than the latest G1 re-hash. That Devastator looks pretty cool, hope it's a 'proper' combiner with the components having individual robot modes, rather than just vehicles that become limbs :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Red Swoop may be a thing, along with a Jazz redeco --

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/11/06/powe ... het-375982
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yay!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'd be down for both of those! Even though I already have a blue Swoop.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I would have thought Backstreet would be a good fit for the POTP Jazz mould...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm. Shame nobody thought outside the box a bit more, Ricochet is still pretty cool but it's become an expected reuse.

Will be happy to keep a blue Swoop as a desk toy, but glad to get the originally advertised colour scheme to match the other dinos -- really ****ed me off that it was a last-minute change and stores were therefore mostly using the solicited photos, TBH.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think we missed this.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/10/31/pter ... 018-375630

Prowl looks a bit strange but I think that's just because I'm so in love with the old Datsun that the G1 model turns into. His chest looks weird to me with a much sleeker hood there instead.

Sixgun looks neat.

Is that pteradactyl based on an Action Master partner I've forgotten?

[EDIT]Doesn't Backstreet transform more like Wheeljack or Sunstreaker than Jazz, though? It'd be nice to get some modern Triggerbots/cons, though.

I don't think Ricochet is THAT much of a rote Jazz redeco, is he? We got one from RTS Jazz but he was some sort of rare Asian mailaway exclusive. And the Alternators one wasn't even redecoed from Jazz, he was a Subaru.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sixgun looks kind of neat in his own right, whereas Cog just doesn't really interest me.

Don't think so, but more actionmaster-partner style figures is a good thing.

Fair point I suppose... I just prefer Kick-Over, who like Jazz already has a figure that probably won't be exceeded. Ricochet and Artfire are more beloved of 3P.