OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

:lol:

Luckily management is all away for the long weekend, because I actually burst out laughing in the middle off the office looking at that. Those blue windows...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I'm definitely going to wait until I've seen the final product in some comparison shots before making a decision. Based off the initial images I really don't see it dislodging my current version.
Clay

Post by Clay »

New York toy fair happened over the weekend, and we got to see Abominus, Predaking, the movie studio series figures, and some other bits.

It's hit and miss, yeah?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found it hard to get excited about any of it. None of it was really surprising, thanks to the leaks that came last year. And aside from Predaking, a couple Pretenders and a few of the movie figs, I don't think they even showed off much that we hadn't already seen at SDCC or other shows.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Due to knowing they were coming, I'm actually less excited about the toys reveals than I am about the cartoon score finally coming out.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The new Movie figures 'Studio Series' look pretty good, and Predaking and Abominus are both look great. The Cyberverse line looks too gimmick driven to be much fun, all the worst bits of RID2015 in one handy toyline!

The Marvel Legends reveals seemed to be much more exciting - probably because of what Warcry said. Surprised to hear Saban have taken Power Rangers to Hasbro. That'll be interesting...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/17/toy- ... ges-358790

Predaking looks naff but the rest mostly continues a positive streak. :up:
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wish these PotP toys would hurry up and start showing up in Edmonton.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Clay

Post by Clay »

I'm not disappointed in predaking, if only because I expected something along those lines given how devastator turned out. Easy pass for me, but I'm glad they tried?

I do look forward to abominus, though.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I should also like to say that I am simultaneously impressed and disappointed that Hungrr is a remold* of Silverbolt.

*he's not actually a remold, strictly speaking. He just transforms identically.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I'm not too excited about what was shown, mostly because we knew it was already on its way. It's nice to see Abominus all done up, but that's about it. I already planned on getting the last two Dinobots and Darkwing, so nothing new there. Bludgeon is pretty cool though. Predaking looks neat, but he will fall into the 'too expensive' category for me with all the other purchases I have planned.

While I don't care much for the look of the Movie-verse stuff, I think I may have to get that Voyager Starscream. Saw some close-up photos of that guy and it's simply impressive. The jet doesn't look to have much kibble either.
Clay

Post by Clay »

ganon578 wrote:While I don't care much for the look of the Movie-verse stuff, I think I may have to get that Voyager Starscream. Saw some close-up photos of that guy and it's simply impressive. The jet doesn't look to have much kibble either.
Yeah, it's apparently heavily based on the DOTM deluxe figure, only with extra bells and whistles afforded by the larger size. Scaling the deluxe figure up works very well, and certainly moreso than squishing the leader figure down. I'm more interested in the Blackout and Brawl, myself.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I was actually pretty disappointed by Bludgeon (his inner robot is the wrong colour!), Bomb-Burst and Octopunch. Those three (plus the sadly absent Bugly) are my favourite Pretender designs and I don't think they translated well to the small size at all.
Skyquake87 wrote:Surprised to hear Saban have taken Power Rangers to Hasbro. That'll be interesting...
This really surprised me too! I'm curious to see where this goes. The one Legacy Power Ranger I bought was really disappointing, so if Hasbro can bring us a figure line with quality comparable to Marvel Legends I'd be really happy.
Hound wrote:I wish these PotP toys would hurry up and start showing up in Edmonton.
Same here! Almost everything I've bought so far has been off of Amazon. Even though this is the first wave, stores seem to be avoiding it like the plague, only putting out one case at a time and not restocking much at all. Maybe launching a new line right after Christmas wasn't a good idea?
Clay wrote:I'm not disappointed in predaking, if only because I expected something along those lines given how devastator turned out. Easy pass for me, but I'm glad they tried?
Yeah. For me, the disappointment came with the announcement that he'd be a Titan because I knew exactly what that entailed thanks to Devastator. I was really hoping they'd have learned their lesson from that and just released the Predacons as a normal CW-style team, but alas...
Clay wrote:I should also like to say that I am simultaneously impressed and disappointed that Hungrr is a remold* of Silverbolt.
I still can't wrap my head around that decision. If they absolutely had to crib one of the CW Voyagers' engineering, surely Hot Spot was the obviously correct choice? It would have given us a Hun-grrr that transformed correctly into combiner mode (the "dragon head knees" that so many people are lamenting) and they could have made the combiner chestplate removable so that people like me could use it as a shield. His dragon mode would have been infinitely better too, since the combiner chest wouldn't be bulking up his robot legs. Just seems like such a missed opportunity.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I think the Predacons work better in the Titan scale than the Constructicons do. Still out of scale with the Dinobots, so I still can't re-enact Prey properly. Boo.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I'm pretty much all-in on the Predacons, Terrorcons, the fem-bots and we'll see what happens with the Movie Series line.
Destruction is my specialty
Clay

Post by Clay »

Here are the predacons individually, and as Predaking

They're... interesting. It's quite clever how they all share some parts to contribute to the torso, making the combined mode's proportions nice and clean, but at the same time it compromises the individuals pretty badly. At a glance, Tantrum and Headstrong carry the upper legs on their backs, Rampage and Divebomb carry the left and right parts of the torso on their backs, and Divebomb's backpack/wings fold out to form the lower torso and waist.

If they were smaller and cheaper, I'd be on board. As it is, they seem oversized and lack all (any of?) their weapons.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

As with CW Devastator, it looks like the individual components have been designed to make the gestalt work. Must be tough being a toy designer and having safety/ drop tests etc to contend with. Its the beast modes that suffer the most for me. Rampage in particular looks like G1 Pounce - all big boxy body and tiny wee legs. Likewise, everyone bar Razorclaw suffers with a tiny beast head. Robot modes all look great (even allowing for the chunk of leg hanging off the backs of Tantrum and Headstrong) and Predaking looks excellent.

Tbh, I'm not bothered for the swords. Whilst its nice to have additional weapons and such, I do feel the originals came with too many weapons. There's just not enough places to keep them all! I honestly don't miss the G1 days of having a fist full of parts to lump around with the toy, although I understand that it's important for folk to have them.

I'm still excited for the set, I think the compromises are fair enough and this is an improvement on the originals, who have their own share of problems.

One thing I have been pondering on with the Prime Masters, is why they didn't make them like Power Master Engines (in terms of design) instead of these odd power-up patterns...
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm getting Predaking definitely. I'm not too worried about the individual weapons though it would be cool if they gave each figure a sword and had all 5 fit together to make a large sword for Predaking. Obviously Tantrum and Headstrong can use the combiner feet as weapons, hopefully the other 3 will also have some part of the combined mode to use as an individual weapon along the lines of what Hasbro did with the Constructicons. That's all I really need TBH.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other deluxes are coming for this line. I want to see the rest of the Elita-1, Starscream and Inferno Combiners.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Predaking should at least have his sword.
Hound wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what other deluxes are coming for this line. I want to see the rest of the Elita-1, Starscream and Inferno Combiners.
Going by combiner wars as an example, I wouldn't expect all of them necessarily to get full limb sets. However, it is funny to see people on the big boards freaking out and thinking waves 1-3 are the full line. I remember not knowing about Mindwipe in TR until he was nearly released, and he was just wave 3.

I also had a thought. Titans Return saw the release of Black Shadow as a pre-tool of Overlord, even though Black Shadow was originally the Takara version of Thunderwing. Maybe they've held Thunderwing back so he can be a matrix-bearer in POTP? Black Shadow's chest already opens up, albeit not enough to accommodate the width of the little matrices the current leader figures come with. But if it happens, I CALLED IT.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hasbro should do a version of Crossblades/Blue Bacchus just because I really want that.

Also, they better give me Chromia and Arcee limbs for the Elita-1 combiner or I will be very disappoint.